Make your TV an Arcade Monitor RGB !!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lmn4096

Make your TV an Arcade Monitor RGB !!

Post by lmn4096 »

I beleive this could be usefull for many americans, because I know that they don't have easly an RGB input on their TV.

ok firstly I explain what happen to me.

I just received my 1st PCB 2 days ago (Ketsui) I already created my own cabinet using a simple TV with an rgb scart input. it was working fine with consoles.
Then I created a Jamma to Scart adapter then plugged my new PCB and ... Horror all the colors was too white :(
I measured the voltage and the output of an arcade are around 5Vpp and my tv accept somthing like 2Vpp for the RGB signal.

I tried the PCB on my trusty commodore 1084 monitor, and all was fine.

after some research on the web I discovered a guy who sale arcade monitor's mother board and explain what you need to do te repair your screen.
I thought well if it's that simple why not mix the motherboard of my commodore monitor to my 21inch TV tube.

1st I cheked if the connector behind the tube was both the same number of pin, and yes both was 10pins.

then before I transplant the things I measured the impedance of the vertical and horizontol coil of my TV and my monitor. all matched it was both low impedance :D

I took of the cables connectors from my TV and replaced them by the commodore connectors. pluged each connectors carrefuly.

turn on the things, and the picture was all white :(
I find 2 potentiometers behind the tv tube, on the newly arcade little board,
one is for the sharpness, and one for the brightness, turn it down and... voila !! :D

my cabinet have now a real arcade monitor in it, I can change all the parameters of the picture as I wish with all the potentiometer of the commodore monitor :D

So if you like DIY and now elelcricity, you have an old TV (even broked you only need the tube), a commodore monitor, then you are ready for your new arcade monitor :p

if you dont have a commodore monitor, you can buy for less than 100$ a new arcade monitor mother board here:

more info here as well: http://www.8liners.com/datatech/monitor.html

I hope it could be helpfull to someone. :)
D

Post by D »

Wow tv modding!
If I was living outside of Europe I'd go bonkers with this news.
Great post, best post of the month!