RGB monitor - where to buy?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
angrycoder

RGB monitor - where to buy?

Post by angrycoder »

As a follow up to my xrgb-2+ thread, it sounds like I am better off getting a straight RGB monitor.

Any recommendations on where to pick one up? I've poked around ebay a bit, but I was wondering if there are any other options. I'd like to keep it around 100 bucks shipped if possible, but I'm not adverse to spending more for something nice.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

My Commodore 1084 and the RGB cable that Matt made me ran a total of about 100$, shipping and all, so you may want to try a route along those lines...unfortunately I got my monitor from off of eBay, and am not sure where else you might find something like it. Offhand, though, IIRC others here have said that Commodore's 1080 and 1084S models also work pretty well for tate-ing, if that helps at all.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

I would just recommend finding the seller on ebay. Another way is to find the auctions locally, which is a hassle getting exactly what you want. There is some website I can't recall, which Matt posted long ago. It listed the local government and other kinds of auction.

edit: As for monitors, check out Sony PVM and GVM series, preferably 20in size or smaller for 'tate' use. PVM-1910 is what I have, and it was mentioned the GVM-2020 as being multisync (15kHz-40kHz), which might be the best solution for you.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Oxtsu, I'm looking into a tate monitor as well - could you elaborate on why you recommend 20" or smaller? I seem to recall someone else posting a bad experience rotating a 25" PVM. Is 20" somehow a cutoff where tubes start to have difficulty with a sideways orientation? I'll go 20" if I have to, but I really was dreaming of a 25" or 27" screen. I don't want to compromise unless I have to.

Thanks -
Will
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Will - The reason is mostly because of the weight, not so much the color problem with the 25in PVM/GVM that was reported before (that might be just a single model that has problems..haven't heard of others). As we can see with RGB monitor for arcade use, in general the size is not reflective of the tate ability. Once it gets over 70 pounds there is a higher risk of back injury for the lone person (no joke!). It is a thing which we should think about our own limits before deciding. Just keep in mind that a 25-27in monitor is going to weigh somewhere around 100-130 pounds, possibly more. Of course, if the plan is for virtually 100% tate use, then it's not so much of an issue. :)
lmn4096

Post by lmn4096 »