XRGB-2+ questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
angrycoder

XRGB-2+ questions

Post by angrycoder »

I think I'm ready to make the leap to RGB for my consoles. I've decided to get an XRGB-2+ from ncsx rather than try and track down a real RGB monitor. I primarily want to use the XRGB-2+ with my PS2 and Saturn.

I have 2 questions before I order:

1) Is going with an XRGB-2+ worth it over just getting an RGB monitor? My thought process is the upscanned VGA would look real pretty. Also, VGA monitors are a dime a dozen, I won't have to try and track an RGB down via ebay and end up with lord knows what for quality. I don't mind the extra hundred or so bucks I would be spending for XRGB-2+ to have a more flexable solution. Unless of course the XRGB-2+ has some flaws compared to a normal RGB monitor.

2) Cables, cables, cables. Where can I find them and what should I use? I see ncsx sells the d-term cables for PS2 (currently out of stock). I am aware that I can't use normal SCART rgb cables, they need to be japanese RGB cables ( think I am using the right terms here). Is it possible to hack SCART rgb cables into japanese RGB cables for the use with the xrgb-2+? If so how much work is it and where can I find some references?

Thanks in advance for any help.
FMK

Re: XRGB-2+ questions

Post by FMK »

angrycoder wrote:2) Cables, cables, cables. Where can I find them and what should I use?
Game Choice Club carries the original SCPH-1050 RGB cable for PS1/2, but price is unreal.
http://www.gamechoiceclub.com/navigateP ... uct_id=344

I use the YPbPr cable with the bundled XRGB2+ adapter. Not a bad picture, but I'm searching a RGB too.
HEY POOR PLAYER!
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Unless of course the XRGB-2+ has some flaws compared to a normal RGB monitor.
If you want the best, get a 15kHz RGB monitor. IMHO, the XRGB image looks like shit in comparision because of the un-original look (fake low res+filtered, basically) and red bleed problems with some systems. There is a setting for fake scan lines, but it cuts down the brightness and contrast considerably (cannot compensate either).
Cables, cables, cables. Where can I find them and what should I use? I see ncsx sells the d-term cables for PS2 (currently out of stock). I am aware that I can't use normal SCART rgb cables, they need to be japanese RGB cables ( think I am using the right terms here). Is it possible to hack SCART rgb cables into japanese RGB cables for the use with the xrgb-2+? If so how much work is it and where can I find some references?
Japan and Euro Scart connectors are identical in shape, just you will need to re-arrange the wires to the JPN pinout if using the Euro version. It is very easy to do, only having to solder the wires onto the correct pins. Matt should be able to do this service for you if you are not inclined yourself.
FMK

Post by FMK »

oxtsu wrote:There is a setting for fake scan lines, but it cuts down the brightness and contrast considerably (cannot compensate either).
That's true. On games with true low res support, I need to raise contrast to maximum to compensate a bit the x4 scanlines.

Games with upscaled tate modes, image is naturally blurry, so it's trouble. At least on my monitor, I can't set x4 scanlines or else too much brightness and contrast is lost.
HEY POOR PLAYER!
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

thanks for the info, now i'm wondering if i should just pick up a normal RGB monitor.

what kind of pin outs do rgb monitors have?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

The connectors are DB-9, DB-15, or DB-25 usually. The pinouts vary widely for the different brand and model of monitor.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

PSX Dodonpachi w/XRGB-2. Still had this old shot on my webspace and thought I'd share. I was going to do a comparision between XRGB and direct RGB, but it proved too time consuming for right now. Laters hopefully. EDIT: actually I should admit that my digi cam is not fine enough to handle the comparision in a proper way. It's the problem, trying to get the accurate shots.
PC Engine Fan X!

Still harder to find an XRGB-2 than it is to find XRGB-2+...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Every once in a great while, a lone eBay seller will sell a used but mint XRGB-2 upscan convertor for about $150.00 USD as the starting price. That price is about the going rate for a used one...let's talk about seeing a brand new XRGB-2 up for sale on eBay. Yes, a dude was selling a brand new XRGB-2 on eBay on October 2002...the final winning bid ended at a whopping $282.00+ (I ain't kidding) as it turns out that I was the winner of that particular auction alright. And the cheapest eBay auction I've seen for a brand new boxed XRGB-1 went for a paltry $48.00 USD (but I was overbid by a single dollar more) which took place in late 2004.

So there you have it, the most ever paid for a brand new XRGB-2 and the lowest ever paid for a brand new XRGB-1 on eBay.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

oxtsu wrote:
Unless of course the XRGB-2+ has some flaws compared to a normal RGB monitor.
If you want the best, get a 15kHz RGB monitor. IMHO, the XRGB image looks like shit in comparision because of the un-original look (fake low res+filtered, basically) and red bleed problems with some systems. There is a setting for fake scan lines, but it cuts down the brightness and contrast considerably (cannot compensate either).
Of course nothing beats a real 15khz monitor, but in my expierence with the XRGB2 and XRGB2+, the "fake scanline" modes (there are multiple settings) are quite amazing! Maybe it depends on the VGA monitor you are using, but I've never had a problem with the brightness and contrast on my monitors (in fact without scanlines seems too bright to me). I've also never had bleeding problems you mentioned, but maybe thats because I only use true RGB/Scart input. In short, I'm highly impressed, but the purist in me says it still can't beat original 15khz monitors.

[update] Well it seems the fake scanlines only look best on games which use a non-interlaced picture (a.k.a. true low-res). ESPGaluda and DDPDOJ look fantastic, and almost exactly the same as I view it on a 15khz monitor. Mushihime on the other hand doesn't look as good on either. :-( [/update]
SAM

Post by SAM »

FMK wrote:
angrycoder wrote:2) Cables, cables, cables. Where can I find them and what should I use?
Game Choice Club carries the original SCPH-1050 RGB cable for PS1/2, but price is unreal.
http://www.gamechoiceclub.com/navigateP ... uct_id=344

I use the YPbPr cable with the bundled XRGB2+ adapter. Not a bad picture, but I'm searching a RGB too.
:!: US$79 !!! :shock:

That's really strange, as I had bought a RGB cable from "Game Choice Club" for just $25.81 early this year at their showroom. :o I guess there must be some mistakes, I think they have make a mistake in the item price on the site. :roll:

I think if you are interested, you should email them and ask. :D
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
SAM

Post by SAM »

Dave_K. wrote:[update] Well it seems the fake scanlines only look best on games which use a non-interlaced picture (a.k.a. true low-res). ESPGaluda and DDPDOJ look fantastic, and almost exactly the same as I view it on a 15khz monitor. Mushihime on the other hand doesn't look as good on either. :-( [/update]
Yes, that's just what I experianced with the HORI upscan converter 2. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*