Ikaruga and TV question.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jenks

Ikaruga and TV question.

Post by jenks »

Hi guys my 1st post here:) and im new to 2d shootem ups, i have just got ikaruga for my gamecube and i see that the only way to get full screen is to sit my tv on its side and set the game to vertical 2 mode.
Just wondering what precautions i may need to take and will it damage the tube at all? im using a pretty old 28" 4:3 tv and i can tell the tube is starting to go on the left hand side it was a cheapo when i bougth it about 7 years ago.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hello, welcome to the forum. :)

As far as rotating a TV goes, some people here have done it and experienced no problems, but others have had trouble, I guess it depends partially on the model you have and partially on luck. You might want a look at this topic: http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=885

What I did was get an old monitor and have a cable made for it to connect to my systems (a member here named Matt did it for me). I also forget, does Ikaruga have a "tateyoko" mode (where you leave the TV in horizontal mode, but both the screen and controls are rotated, so you can play it like a side-scroller)? If it does you might want to try that...or, of course, there's the popular "ghetto tate" mode, where you set everything up in vertical mode, but leave the TV horizontal, and just lay down on your side and play it that way, heh.

Hope you enjoy your stay here. :)
jenks

Post by jenks »

Thank you, vertical mode 2 on ikaruga does make the game run sideways on the tv buts its still runs as a vertical shooter.
problem i have just realised the pyhical shape of the side of my tv without large modifaction it wont sit on its side.
its still a great game but theres large black borders on the rigth and left and it seems thats how the game is designed as the hud is in the black borders, even though if there wasnt black borders on the left and right it wouldnt the change the game dynamics much as the vertical span on the tv is the same.
A wide screen tv would be a nightmare on this game without rotating it.
Is ikaruga a arcade game which has a vertical spaning screen and been converted to console?
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yes, Ikaruga is an arcade port and as with most vertical shooters was displayed on an arcade monitor with a 3:4 aspect ratio. As an alternative to tate'ing your rather large and old TV, you may want to invest in either a Dreamcast + Ikaruga DC + VGA box, and tate your computer monitor for the absolute best graphics, or you could get a custom-made VGA cable for your GameCube.

It's worth it.
jenks

Post by jenks »

I have a old 20" panasonic in the spare room i may rotate that and put my gamecube in there with it.
Im going the second hand game shop tommora i may look at the megadrive games and see if i can get a megadrive and r-type on the cheap, i love r-type back in the day what other games should i look into?