slk486

Wii outputs original resolutions in Virtual Console

Post by slk486 »

Nvm
Sixfortyfive

Re: Wii outputs original resolutions in Virtual Console

Post by Sixfortyfive »

Windfish wrote:Hello, everyone. :)

Many retro-gamers with HDTVs have very positive words about the Virtual Console's support of 240p, such as this one. They use an external scaler such as the Framemeister to upscale the signal and add scanlines. What I am wondering is this: is the external scaler really necessary if the scanlines are not desired? Doesn't the emulation on the Virtual Console do a good enough job of upscaling the signal?

I ask because I am deciding on which console I should download Virtual Console games: Wii or Wii U. The latter does not support 240p. If it is really the case that Wii VC @ 240p to Framemeister to HDTV is so much better than the alternatives, I will go with that setup.

Can anyone help me?

Best,
Windfish
AFAIK:
- Wii offers 240p, 480i, and 480p over component only.
- Wii U offers 480p, 720p, and 1080p over HDMI and component. Whatever resolution you pick in the system menu carries over to the VC and the original Wii mode.

So if you *don't* have an external upscaler of your own, then I think the Wii U is probably the better option. I'd expect that the Wii U's scaler probably isn't phenomenal but still better for games than that of a typical HDTV. If you do have an upscaler, then it might be better to go with 240p on the original Wii.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

The NTSC Wii can output VC games at 480p. Unless you have a really bad TV that should look pretty good. 240p into a Framemeister will look better, but it's a more expensive setup and you have quite some input lag (emulation + Framemeister + TV).

If you've got a Wii U and you like the pixely look you can just get them for Wii U. Unless you've got a PAL Wii U, which still plays games at 50Hz in 2014 -.-
Btw, you shouldn't bother with the Wii mode on Wii U. It looks rather blurry.
Sixfortyfive

Post by Sixfortyfive »

blizzz wrote:Btw, you shouldn't bother with the Wii mode on Wii U. It looks rather blurry.
I don't notice a difference. The 480p shots look about the same.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Yeah, is it even worse when directly comparing 480p images? I would think Wii U would look much better, both with it having a digital instead of analog output, and the Wii supposedly having some kind of blur filter over component.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
RebeL9

Post by RebeL9 »

I've managed to output Castlevania and Contra rebirth on 480p while using the USB Bootloader app.
Rulumi

Post by Rulumi »

If the VC game one is playing supports 240p properly, it should look fine, although the chroma subsampling may be a bit more noticeable than in 480p.
Spoiler