Wii outputs original resolutions in Virtual Console

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Overkill

Wii outputs original resolutions in Virtual Console

Post by Overkill »

I recently purchased a WII and discovered the world of the "virtual console" the nintendo service for downloading old games. I was realy glad to see that the vast majority of the games in the Virtual console can output the original resolution. So it seems to be an very good choice to people who don't have the original hardware to play the games. Most people use xbox 1 to play old games, but only in 480i/p.

Well, now, after purchasing some more games i found that not all the games can output original resolution, don't know why... for example castlevania rondo of blood for the pc engine works great, but all the other Pc engine games i tryed works in 480i with a horrible bluring effect. Other issue is that nintendo gave the original 50hz not optimised versions of the games for the european costumers. I buyed the MUSHA to Megadrive just to find it works in slowmotion! so i have the oportunity to play all this games in a euro tv trough scart rgb but the games are not as good as the 60hz USA/JAP versions.

Any costumers here of the Nintendo Virtual console service?
fagin

Re: Wii outputs original resolutions in Virtual Console

Post by fagin »

What... it outputs 240p!?
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Yes, and i have also tested it on a friends samsung LCD that recognizes 240p signal and the info on screen says 720x240 (in 16:09). And in a crt you can see scanlines in all its glory! AS i remember, there was a lot of problems with people trying to play virtual console games on modern lcds because of not recognizing the 240p with component cables, but i think nintendo as solved that with an software update
fagin

Post by fagin »

Overkill wrote:Yes, and i have also tested it on a friends samsung LCD that recognizes 240p signal and the info on screen says 720x240 (in 16:09). And in a crt you can see scanlines in all its glory! AS i remember, there was a lot of problems with people trying to play virtual console games on modern lcds because of not recognizing the 240p with component cables, but i think nintendo as solved that with an software update
There are hardly any LCD's that recognise 15khz and the issues is hardware not software based!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

240p support via component on LCD TV's is actually fairly hit and miss, some sets will do it some won't, but it's certainly not that rare. Of course it's going to be processed as 480i rather than 240p
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
fagin

Post by fagin »

I'm thinking of VGA input arnt I, which is totally irrelevant to this conversation. But then talk of 240p via component is about as much use as tits on fish, when it's being processed as 480i.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

How about the original resolution being displayed in a crt tv/arcade monitor/etc? It's good to see a current generation console doing that. Sadly some games don't do it.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I dunno about tits on fish lol, regular people are happy with it and just assume that's how it always looked I guess. You certainly could feed the output into a CRT, though VC isn't known for being terribly accurate emulation anyway.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

240p support via component on LCD TV's is actually fairly hit and miss, some sets will do it some won't
the first few batches of VC release were 240p only (or 240p + 480p). After that a lot of people complained that the VC games wouldn't work on their TVs. After that Nintendo switched to 480i standard output. Many 3rd party publishers dropped the 240p support completely after that. Nintendo's own VC titles boot into 480i since that, but can still be forced into 240p through a button combination.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

I play my VC games via component through my framemeister, which looks really good in 240p. Most of the emus also can do 240p.

Samurai Shodown IV on the VC will do 240p no problem, and I think that's the most recent game.

I do have to have my wii set to 480i for the VC to do 240p, but the emus will do it in either 480i OR p.

The discovery of the VC 240p thing got me to take my Wii out of the closet a couple of months ago.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Nintendo's own VC titles boot into 480i since that, but can still be forced into 240p through a button combination.
Anyone knows the combination?
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Anyone know if the recently ported Mednafen outputs in 240p on the Wii? Or what specific emus do?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

From the Wiki Mednafen seems to support 240p just fine.

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMednafen ... de_support

Seems like a good to reason to get my Wii out again :)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I found the combination:

"
1. Start a virtual console game
2. Press the Home button to bring up the Home menu, and then click on Operations Manual
3. Attach a Nunchuk controller to your Wii remote
4. Press A+2+Z simultaneously (A and 2 are on your Wii remote, Z on your Nunchuk)
5. You should hear a sound confirming that you've done this correctly. This should activate 480i mode for all
6. to switch back to 240p mode for VC, follow the same steps as above, but press A+1+Z instead"

I just tryed, but only worked with component cables, so on my sdtv the code won't work to force 240p on the turbografx 480i titles.

Emulators i know there is a Snes - http://code.google.com/p/snes9x-gx/ and a Megadrive Genplus gx http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/ both can output original resolution, 480i/p
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

snes9xgx, genplus gx, the wii port of mednafen and fceux gx all support 240p output. You can get a list of emulators and other software available w/ the Homebrew Browser: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser

Does anyone happen to know if megaman 9 / 10 is forcing 240p or 480i? For some reason, capcom decided not to include 480p support for either game on the wii; I guess for authenticity? The master blaster sequel does this as well.
ryu

Post by ryu »

mega man 9 and 10 play in 480i.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

The Neo CD emu also does 240p.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

ryu wrote:mega man 9 and 10 play in 480i.
How about the Rebirth games?

I hate Wii VC. Not because people seem to mistake it as so much more accurate than PC emulation without any reasoning. Well partially because of that. But mostly because Nintendo thought Europeans wanted to play games in slow motion again.

It does output 240p though, which is nice for CRT owners, anyone else is really better off with PC emulation.
ryu

Post by ryu »

gradius and castlevania rebirth both play in 480i as well.

though, thinking back when i tested these things i might have used the component cable. they might play in 240p with a scart cable but i'm not sure.

i also haven't tried that trick overkill suggested for seetting the wii to output 240p with a component cable. i might try that this weekend.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

The rebirth games do 480p as well fortunately - its too bad they never bothered to fix widescreen mode for gradius (stretches in stretched 480p, instead of doing the anamorphic fitting to keep it 4:3)
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I'm confused, I seem to recall Gradius running 480p now that you mention it... But not Contra.

I probably should dust off my Wii, but if I do I'll probably end up spending way too many hours playing Excitebots.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

All the rebirth titles can do 480p. Contra and Castlevania detect the wii set to widescreen and support pillarboxing, but not gradius (even though they updated gradius, what the heck?!)

I wish there was a gecko or dolphin or whatever you call it code for megaman 9/10 to force 480p. it can be done for disc games easily, like madworld and the wii ports of metroid prime series with a hard drive loader, but that doesn't really work for wiiware games!
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

It does for most VC titles, namely NES, SNES, Genesis, NeoGeo and some VC Arcade game like Space Harrier. I remember some PC-E titles displaying in 480i, I don´t know if those were ever fixed but I know Dracula X renders in 240p. N64 titles are 480i on a SDTV, but are 480p enabled on 31 khz displays and HDTV and they look great.

It is a shame that the Wii´s component output is not as crisp as it was on GCN, but it is nevertheless a considerable step up from composite.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

That's awesome about Dracula X. I couldn't seem to find info, and hadn't bought it because of that.
moh

Post by moh »

fagin wrote:...is about as much use as tits on fish
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
man9child

Post by man9child »

Rondo looks absolutely gorgeous on a crt through component. First time I played it that way I was kind of stunned.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

No 480p? Even when the system is set to output in that resolution? That would be surprising. I was thinking of getting MM10 for Wii instead of PS3, but this would make me think otherwise.
ryu

Post by ryu »

kamiboy wrote:
No 480p? Even when the system is set to output in that resolution? That would be surprising. I was thinking of getting MM10 for Wii instead of PS3, but this would make me think otherwise.
yeah .. though i heard the graphics in the hd versions were worse (blurried).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The PS3 also has very large black borders, you would think it was for clean 2x/3x/4x (too lazy to think) scaling, but it's not, as said it looks blurry. Probably overscan compensation.

I would still choose the PS3 version on a HDTV, you don't want deinterlacing lag in Mega Man.

The PS3 port has a demo version.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Hello, everyone. :)

Many retro-gamers with HDTVs have very positive words about the Virtual Console's support of 240p, such as this one. They use an external scaler such as the Framemeister to upscale the signal and add scanlines. What I am wondering is this: is the external scaler really necessary if the scanlines are not desired? Doesn't the emulation on the Virtual Console do a good enough job of upscaling the signal?

I ask because I am deciding on which console I should download Virtual Console games: Wii or Wii U. The latter does not support 240p. If it is really the case that Wii VC @ 240p to Framemeister to HDTV is so much better than the alternatives, I will go with that setup.

Can anyone help me?

Best,
Windfish