HOow come i get no sound when i play in S-video?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

HOow come i get no sound when i play in S-video?

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

i have played it on my DC and now my supergun..and iatneH was right..MVS looks absolutely beautiful in s video..but the problem is theres no sound..could it be the cheap s-video wire..or do i need to hook up my tv to a surround sound system to hear sound..i have a phillips flat screen 28 inch tv im using to play it on..
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
AWJ

Re: HOow come i get no sound when i play in S-video?

Post by AWJ »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:i have played it on my DC and now my supergun..and iatneH was right..MVS looks absolutely beautiful in s video..but the problem is theres no sound..could it be the cheap s-video wire..or do i need to hook up my tv to a surround sound system to hear sound..i have a phillips flat screen 28 inch tv im using to play it on..
The S-Video cable is only a video connection, not audio. You need to hook up sound separately, usually with a pair of standard RCA cables.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

how do i do that with a supergun???
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

How have you been getting sound out of your supergun before..?

Keep using the same audio connection (the red and white plugs), and use the S-video.

Also, what model MVS are you using?
If your supergun is hardwired to run monoaural sound from standard JAMMA boards, you may run into problems with certain MVS motherboards that output stereo sound, as the audio lines will no longer be properly grounded.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

MVS has slightly different sound pin location on the JAMMA harness. Maybe it is the problem.

More infos here: http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2Ne ... Pinout.pdf

As I understand it, you'll need to remove wire 'L' from your speakers negative terminal and replace with wire from pin '11'. Some kind of switch could be used to make it easier and utilize the stereo sound from MVS (and a few other JAMMA boards like Raiden Fighters, IIRC)

Someone else can explain in better detail I'm sure. I'm just rambling here.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

iatneH wrote:How have you been getting sound out of your supergun before..?

Keep using the same audio connection (the red and white plugs), and use the S-video.

Also, what model MVS are you using?
If your supergun is hardwired to run monoaural sound from standard JAMMA boards, you may run into problems with certain MVS motherboards that output stereo sound, as the audio lines will no longer be properly grounded.
im using MV1-C...but also, progear doesnt play any sounds either..and all the plugs are securely stable..

might it be the s-video wire that isnt inputting any sound..because i tried the s video on a dca vga box and still no sound...
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

For Progear, check your CPS-II motherboard and make sure the volume is turned up (don't use the Q-sound stereo outputs either, if still having problems; having sound connected from there and from the JAMMA harness at the same time will weaken the signal). For DC, you'll need sound from the seperate location, as AWJ mentioned before, S-video cable is carrying the video parts only (if the S-vid cable was made specifically for the console it would have the RCA red+white audio plugs already attached).
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

i have put the progear mobo turn the volume all the way up.the sounds works fine in regular connection but once i change it to the S-video channel, the volume goes mute.im still so lost :cry:
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

It's hard to say without knowing the specifics of your particular supergun and setup. What is your "regular connection" that you referred to? It helps to know what changes with your sound setup when "switching" to S-video. It could be the way it's wired internally (bad connection, etc). Not sure.

Like I said before about CPS-II, if both mono sound from JAMMA and Q-Sound stereo are connected to a source simultaneously, then the sound will be either dampened or muted altogether. Have you checked this out?
Neon

Post by Neon »

Another thing to consider, S video sucks. Go with RGB. Trust me on this QuadP, it's worth the hassle.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Hi PPPP, like (most) everyone else has said before me, S-video is solely a video connection. I'm assuming you were using a composite connection before; maybe you should try plugging both of them into your TV, just leaving the yellow composite wire out. There should be a separate group of inputs for S-video in your TV, so you can plug in the S-video cable for video and the red and yellow composite inputs for sound.

As for using S-video through a DC VGA box, it's the same thing. If you wanted sound, you would need to connect composite cables as well, or there should be a headphone slot for you to plug computer speakers or headphones into.

If you need more help (it sounds like you're really lost!) it'd probably be really easy for us to figure out what's wrong if you could post some pictures. I'm guessing you don't have a digital camera since you don't post pics with your sales, but maybe you could borrow one?

And just as a matter of personal opinion, the difference between S-video and RGB really isn't enough to say that S-video sucks. RGB rools though, it's just composite and RF that drool.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

mannerbot wrote:Hi PPPP, like (most) everyone else has said before me, S-video is solely a video connection. I'm assuming you were using a composite connection before; maybe you should try plugging both of them into your TV, just leaving the yellow composite wire out. There should be a separate group of inputs for S-video in your TV, so you can plug in the S-video cable for video and the red and yellow composite inputs for sound.
hi mannerbot.i have tried this method also and has left me in complete failure..im buying new wires today...its worth a shot...OK..keep you guys posted...thanks for everyones help..its so nice to watch it play in s-video!

i use regular composite..with the white yellow,red plugs... i geuss its time to buy some new ones..they are getting old..
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

MV-1C is standard JAMMA, it doesn't even have Stereo output. The question is what is your "regular connection" and do you just have audio (red and white) cables from your supergun to TV?

One last thing, you should make sure Progear is set to MONO in the test menu.

Also you mentioned you change it to S-Video and the sound goes out, do you have multiple audio inputs on the back of your TV? One should be dedicated for the S-Video channel.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Valgar wrote:MV-1C is standard JAMMA, it doesn't even have Stereo output. The question is what is your "regular connection" and do you just have audio (red and white) cables from your supergun to TV?

One last thing, you should make sure Progear is set to MONO in the test menu.

Also you mentioned you change it to S-Video and the sound goes out, do you have multiple audio inputs on the back of your TV? One should be dedicated for the S-Video channel.
My regular connection is just the AC cables and the supergun. the other wires are for the cable television and power outlet for the TV...in the test menu for progear, when i look for the sound on the test menu, theres only the jukebox player. ..I only have one audio input on the back on my tv.