UMSA - Ultimate Scart Adapter for MAME PC and TVs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
niall

Re: UMSA - Ultimate Scart Adapter for MAME PC and TVs

Post by niall »

*ba-bow* I struck out, same issue after 75ohms on RGB. But I've positively ruled out the UMSA as a factor here, a BNC->SCART works fine on both Loewes and not the Trinitron either, so I'll shut the f&*k up here and say that the UMSA is a great piece of kit and I can't wait to get RGBHV (and RGBS) into this Trinitron, and I'm gonna order a second UMSA for the Loewe Calida 32" Q2300 as it disables 100Hz on the RGB input!!!! SCORE!
niall

Post by niall »

Positively identified the issue and verified it - the Sony KV-2900 requires 5v on pin 16 SCART - the UMSA doesn't appear to provide much, if anything (I'm still learning but it looked like ~11mv). Both the PAL and NTSC RetroGamingCables I've got put out ~5v on 16, so I just hooked it up from the power in socket and we're fucking golden!
Wikipedia wrote:Pin 16, the blanking signal pin, carries a signal from the source that indicates that the signal is either RGB or composite.

0 V–0.4 V means composite.
1 V–3 V (nominal 1 V) means RGB only.
Talked to Jochen, but I'm not exactly sure what he's saying - but mine at least did not have anywhere near 5v on pin 16 so this mod fixed the issue that my Trinitron had (emulating pin16 specs from eviltim and my SCART cables which did work on the Trinitron):

EDIT: Jochen says they are meant to have 5v to pin 16 SCART - mine definitely did not, perhaps a random dry joint but I'll try to diagnose as a learning exercise, it's all great fun for me and I'll be buying more UMSA regardless!
jedman

Post by jedman »

Hi

I was wondering is it possible to connect a laptop to a crt tv this way?

I have an alienware with nvidia sli 880m, would soft 15khz work?

Many thanks
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Does anyone know what happens when you feed RGBs into this thing? Rather than try to explain, here's what I want to do:-

Would that work, I mean would I get a picture from my "Lots of RGBs" stuff and from the Dreamcast?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Should work fine, but remember that your Bigass Extron Matrix switch only accepts clean sync on the H/V sync inputs.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yep I remembered. Interestingly I can't seem to find anything in the instruction manual to confirm this but everyone I've spoken to seems to think this is the case. If it's just supposed to pass the signal through why would it even care what I was using for sync. I guess it's just a matter of bandwidth.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's an active switch. The signals are routed through ICs and they're just specified to work with clean sync signals. I tried it. The RGB ports on the other hand accept composite video, so if you use two inputs, you can route "dirty" RGBs as well. But it makes the cabling far more complicated.
djdaveoc

Post by djdaveoc »

Anyone know if there is a way to connect this Italian Arcade CRT monitor to a USA VGA video card like the Ultimarc ArcadeVGA5000? The signal connector is on the right in the photo below and has 6-pins. Is there some kind of adapter cable? Also, how can I power this monitor? Would I need anything weird like a voltage converter? I'm in the USA. Thanks