Reflections on a Cabinet Restoration Adventure

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Niraflen

Reflections on a Cabinet Restoration Adventure

Post by Niraflen »

This has been cross-posted with Arcade Otaku, because it's these two communities that got me where I am and I figured I'd share the below with each:

I got my Japanese New Net City cabs about 6 months apart. Here are the photos of what I was acquiring:

ImageImage

And after lots of work, tear-downs, restoration, retr0brighting, and parts replacement, here's what I have:

From the front:

Now for some fun trivia:

- I stripped these cabinets down to the individual screw to haul them into the room you see them in. I'll need to strip them down again whenever I move them out of there.

- Every component has been thoroughly cleaned with either Magic Erasers, Simple Green, or compressed air, or a careful dusting/brushing in the case of more sensitive components.

- Cigarette tar is disgusting. And it doesn't like to come off.

- This is a before and after of the control panel cavity of the first cabinet:

ImageImage

- I emptied out both control panels and completely replaced them with new Sanwa parts. Went with one New Net City colour scheme (vermillion/dark blue) and one traditional Sega cab colour scheme (green and pink). The balltops are of the original mesh variety.

- The stock speakers were blown in the second cab, so I swapped out the speakers in both cabs with Pioneer's TS-D1002R 4" speakers. I tried a set of their "A" series speakers and wasn't impressed compared to stock. The "D" series, however, literally blown everything away. The sound from this form factor shouldn't be that good, but there it is.

- Yes, those are Taito stools.

- I did not repaint anything, nor did I replace any leg side-art. If there was paint chipped on the base or a cut in a leg sticker, it stayed. I want the cabs clean, but I still want them to reflect that they spent many years in a Japanese arcade. These blemishes don't bother me, especially since in all likelihood I'm going to be the only person in regular proximity to these cabinets who really pays attention to them.

- That said, the blemishes that did bother me were on the monitor frames (dark part). The frames pictured are brand new and just received from Giz10p at the end of last week. The original monitor frames had a variety of scratches, semi-permanent sticker-based discolouration, or outright gouges that Novus wasn't going to solve, and kind of detracted from the look of the cab.

- Something I've talked about before is that there's a bit of 'compression' on the left and right sides of the screen (moreso on the left cab than the right one). This is a phenomenon called "S compression", and unfortunately can't be corrected on the geometry menu for the Toshiba Perfect Flat (although there is a S correction adjustment, it only corrects it vertically, not horizontally). That said, it's something I take less and less notice over time. However, this is something that can presumably be fixed by recapping the chassis, and a full capacitor list for the chassis is available, so that's one of those 'eventually' projects.

- By extension of the above, both monitors are original tri-sync Toshiba Perfect Flats and have their original chassis. The left and right monitors are circa October 2005 and November 2005 respectively.

- En route to me in the near future are some of those new remote PCBs that are being fabbed for Toshiba Perfect Flat monitors. These will replace the monitor remotes with the same form factor, but add additional buttons to access the geometry menu in place of my laughably bad soldering job.

- The coin counter for the cab on the left read over 71000 when I first received it. This cab was likely part of a VS. setup for Tekken 5 at some point (aside from the Tekken 5 monitor bezel sticker, there was also a Namco system PCB adapter inside the cabinet). Hilariously, the second cab read exactly 8000, making me think the game inside it couldn't have been very popular. It did contain a flyer for Irem's "Spartan X" (AKA "Kung-Fu Master") and a quality control sheet for a "New Net City SD".

- I originally had a dark red and an orange light cover. I picked up a second dark red light strip to match the first.

- Does your Naomi/NC/NNC amp have lots of static and crackling sound? Swap out your T12 20W fluorescent bulb with a new one before anything else.

- Fully functional 100 yen coin mechanisms in each cab.

- It has all of the locks corresponding to 5575 keys.

- Yellow bezels? Retr0bright. Here's an artist's conception (first photo is the left cabinet's bezel washed but before retr0brighting, the second photo is the right cabinet's bezel during a UV treatment).

ImageImage

- Those light bulbs I used while retr0brighting are meant for lizards!

- Other parts that were outright replaced include the instruction sheets (brand new), all of the interior control panel cabling (new old stock 1P/2P harnesses, new button 4-6 loom, all original Sega parts), new coin reject buttons, new coin slot covers, new chrome bolts for the control panels, and new metal strips on the instruction panel glass. I also replaced the Tekken 5 monitor bezel sticker on the left cabinet with a new NNC one.

- Any other stickers (serial numbers, Japanese warnings, yen coins, etc.) are original. There's one on the right cabinet's coin door I didn't remove which I may at a later date. Interestingly, the second bezel has a serial number sticker on the top (not visible in the photos) which matches the serial number on the base unit.

- One of those NNC marquees came from Yahoo Japan auctions. The other, luckily, came with the cab.

- Not pictured - 4 of every restrictor gate (octagonal, 2-way, 4-way/8-way, and even toodles circular), enough OSBNs for every button (and joystick hole), a cavalcade of JVS-PACs, and a set of Konami JAMMA/JVS adapters to ensure maximum compatibility for the here and now and into the future.

- Also not pictured: Sega audio/video/JVS splitter boards. There's one in each cabinet, which is good for creating a "VS." setup when both monitors are rotated the same way, or for distributing audio and video for a 4 player game. Also not shown: the wires that connect the cabs together and to stuff sitting outside the cab (consoles, PC, etc.).

- After investing this much time and effort into the cabs, I still need to get my hands on a PCB. Playing games tends to get stuck at the lower end of my priority list, despite all of the above, and the next big thing always calls.

- More than 350 photos were taken between both cabinets of the tear down, cleaning, and reassembly process.

- They make great conversation pieces.

- Here are some bonus closeups of the control panels, because people like control panels:

ImageImage
ImageImage
chempop

Re: Reflections on a Cabinet Restoration Adventure

Post by chempop »

Pure sex! These look AMAZING!!!

So what are the lucky hori and vert games you plan on running?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Wow, that is phenomenal work.

Now the game hunting begins :wink:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Come round and do mine... lol.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Spectacular work as well as a very good write-up. I didn't skip anything. 8)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

very inspiring - i also have a naomi to restore but it just takes forever.

nice to see such beautiful effects with the retrobrite. i actually wanted to give all those plastics for repaint but i might try this. although i'm quite curious if the plastics aren't very porous afterwards so they turn to yellow faster ? still worth a try though in a home environment.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

AWESOME WORK. I've been meaning to do a nice restoration on my candy also. I've used RetroBrite before on smaller things that are easy to take outside in the sun, but I wasn't sure how it would work with artificial light. Well now I know, so thanks for that.

I have a Blast City coming in about a month or so as part of a group buy from Japan. So that may be in need of resto too. I'll keep this in mind for inspiration.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
mesmer

Post by mesmer »

Incredible, thanks for sharing.
Niraflen

Post by Niraflen »

Thanks everyone, reading the comments today was great.

A few responses:

@chempop: Don't know yet! I'm tempted everytime I see a Cave PCB, although I'm terrible at those games despite enjoying them, and I already have all their ports except the PS1/Saturn ones. Rather like DFK Black Label, but I'd read that the SH3 hardware couldn't keep up with the programming for that game, and that it turns into a lagging competition. I could bite the bullet and get Sai-Dai-ou-jou, but that's probably a bit of a jump for a first PCB. I kind of have a nostalgic attachment to Marvel vs. Capcom 1 for some reason, so maybe I should pick that up. Given that I'd have to keep an eye on the battery for its entire life or have it Phoenixed, it's a bit of a downer. :\ On the JVS side, DeathSmiles II or a Naomi could be nice. I guess I have time to think about it. In the meantime, I have my consoles and JVS-PACs, but the cabinets are asking for a native JVS or JAMMA occupant.

Side note: Many doujin-type games default to 'z' and 'x' as action buttons, which already map to the JVS-PAC (player 1 input buttons 5 and 6) without additional key remapping required. Modified video drivers also mean I've been able to toy with native 15k and 24k resolutions on the monitor. The intensity of the scanlines reminds me of a high-intensity setting on the XRGB-3, but I find overall that the look is very nice, low-res or high-res.

@neorichieb1971: Pay for my flight out to the UK and my room and board and you have a deal. XD

@emphatic: Thanks very much. Your articles on the UVC, the Xiong Ba, and the Egret II definitely contributed to pushing me away from only trying to replicate the old-style feel on LCDs, hehe.

@burgerkingdiamond: They do as long as they put off the right wavelength. I'm inclined to think the sun trumps all, but if you're going artificial then the wavelength you're looking for was something like 320 nm. There's a forum of Amiga enthusiasts that have a very long ongoing thread dedicated to retr0bright. As for the bulbs used, they were Exo Terra Repti Glo Compact 10.0 bulbs (the 26W versions) which output a decent concentration of UV light in the 320 nm range.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

I am sorry to dterred this topic, but I need help. This speaker is unvallable, what's use today in 2021 please?
I would like too upgrade the power supply and sound system about my NNC. For example is it useful to change for PC ATX something like this?
https://fr.evga.com/products/product.a ... G3-0650-Y3

For example auto adjust for 5V?

I konw someone can make an input adpter, but missing GND. Where can I plug the ground, somewhere on metal part of the cab?

What's sound AMP can advise me? The best ATX + amp in original place in the cab.

Any idea?

THX