UPDATE: DC-X Arrived and it works!!!....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

UPDATE: DC-X Arrived and it works!!!....

Post by dave4shmups »

Someone on this site sent me a Gameshark CDX that they had downloaded. Well, my DC won't recognize it AT ALL! :( :(

I don't understand it; ALL of my domestic games work perfectly on my DC.

I have been using a Saturn-DC controller converter; could that have screwed up my DC internally, so that it won't recognize this disc?
Last edited by dave4shmups on Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Legend has it that DCs produced after <insert date> won't read CD-Rs (which is what you've got there if it's something someone downloaded off the net and burned.)

I seem to recall there being some dispute about that recently but I forget what the conclusion was. Whether or not your legit games work won't be an indication since they're not CD-Rs. I should think that if the controller converter were to blow up something it would most likely just be a controller port or two but then I'm hardly an expert.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

The manufacture date on my DC says "Feburary 2000". Should that be a problem?

If it is, I can just order a DC-X converter disc, I'm POSITIVE that those work on DC's that were made before October 2001.
Farewell to hollow words
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Of course, one possibilty is that the CD wasn't burned correctly. Did the person who sent it to you test it beforehand?
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Look for a codebreaker or Gameshark lite. They are usually less than 10 dollars, and will boot your imports easily.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Ghegs wrote:Of course, one possibilty is that the CD wasn't burned correctly. Did the person who sent it to you test it beforehand?
I dunno, I checked the contents of the Disc on my PC, and there's only one file that says "1st Read BIN 864KB". (??)

BTW, could someone please PM me the link to where you download the Gameshark CDX demo?
Farewell to hollow words
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Wouldn't it be easier to just get the utopia boot disk?
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Look on the label on the bottom of your DC. In the lower right corner, there will be a revision number in a circle, right next to where it says 'NTSC U'. It will be a 0, 1 or 2. If it's a 2, you can't read CD-R's (or overclock it).
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Where do you get that??

Ah forget it, I just ordered a DC-X from Play-Asia with UPS shipping. About $30, I know, but I've been waiting FOREVER to play the 2 DC import games I have.
Last edited by dave4shmups on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell to hollow words
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Accutron wrote:Look on the label on the bottom of your DC. In the lower right corner, there will be a revision number in a circle, right next to where it says 'NTSC U'. It will be a 0, 1 or 2. If it's a 2, you can't read CD-R's (or overclock it).
Nope, it's a 1.
Last edited by dave4shmups on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell to hollow words
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

It probably wasn't burned correctly.
undamned

Post by undamned »

dave4shmups wrote:Nope, it's a 1. Which is just more proof that this individual was slackin' it on this. I realize it was free...
It was a gift, dude: FREE = NO WHINING.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

undamned wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:Nope, it's a 1. Which is just more proof that this individual was slackin' it on this. I realize it was free...
-ud
Last edited by dave4shmups on Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell to hollow words
undamned

Post by undamned »

dave4shmups wrote:
undamned wrote:
-ud
When I've been waiting to play these two imports for HOW long? :? I'm sorry UD, but I disagree. I wouldn't give someone a broken or defective gift, which is what this person has done.
Intention, is the key, Dave. Somebody had good intentions. It didn't quite work out, but they were trying to do something good and then you call them a slacker. The propper way to address the situation is rather than point fingers at the source of the disk, just say "I have a disk that doesn't work," not "I have a disk that some slacker gave me and really pissed me off." Not very pleasant. Just realize when people are trying to do something nice for you, and if things don't work out perfect, let it slide.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

undamned wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:
undamned wrote:It was a gift, dude: FREE = NO WHINING.
-ud
When I've been waiting to play these two imports for HOW long? :? I'm sorry UD, but I disagree. I wouldn't give someone a broken or defective gift, which is what this person has done.
Intention, is the key, Dave. Somebody had good intentions. It didn't quite work out, but they were trying to do something good and then you call them a slacker. The propper way to address the situation is rather than point fingers at the source of the disk, just say "I have a disk that doesn't work," not "I have a disk that some slacker gave me and really pissed me off." Not very pleasant. Just realize when people are trying to do something nice for you, and if things don't work out perfect, let it slide.

Yeah, you're right UD, good intentions are what matter the most-sorry for my rant.
-ud
:(
Farewell to hollow words
ArrogantBastard

ArrogantBastard wrote:It probably wasn't burned correctly.
Just to emphasize it again...
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

DC's can be finnicky with CD-R's. I've had Utopia discs that would work in one unit and not work in an identical rev unit made the same month in the same factory. The laser can come out of calibration, still load GD-ROMs just fine, but reject CD-R. How much mileage does your unit have?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

ArrogantBastard wrote:
ArrogantBastard wrote:It probably wasn't burned correctly.
Just to emphasize it again...
Oh I believe you. At any rate, like I said, I have ordered a DC-X. I just hope I haven't screwed up my DC using the Saturn-DC controller converter, but if that were so, as someone else has said, the problems would most likely be with the controller ports.
Farewell to hollow words
ArrogantBastard

Also, as what Accutron said, DC is very picky about what brand of CD-R you use. TDK, Memorex, and few other choice brands will work well on DC; while the others won't be read correctly by DC CD-ROM laser system.

And I highly doubt that a simple controller converter would screw up anything since it's only controller hardware-related, not the CD-ROM hardware.

If I'm wrong about this, I'll be fucking damned.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

ArrogantBastard wrote:Also, as what Accutron said, DC is very picky about what brand of CD-R you use. TDK, Memorex, and few other choice brands will work well on DC; while the others won't be read correctly by DC CD-ROM laser system.

And I highly doubt that a simple controller converter would screw up anything since it's only controller hardware-related, not the CD-ROM hardware.

If I'm wrong about this, I'll be fucking damned.
Thanks for that info-that must be why I downloaded the CDX demo from the net this afternoon that it didn't work on my DC.

Oh well, the DC-X is very reliable, and will work on any DC made before October 2001, so I'm set with that.
Farewell to hollow words
ArrogantBastard

Good to hear that it works fine on your DC.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

ArrogantBastard wrote:Good to hear that it works fine on your DC.
Oh yeah, I've used the DC-X before (long story; don't ask! :oops: ) and it's VERY reliable. :D
Farewell to hollow words
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

It's because you didn't burn the Gameshark disc correctly.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I take the blame, I took forever to ship him this, due to my job it's hard to get to the post office before it closes, so I sent him both this import bootdisc and a free game (game was not a burnz :P) I have tested the CDX extensively as it was the one I used for my other, non-modded dreamcast to play imports. So the problem lies with your Dreamcast Dave, sorry to say.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Neon wrote:I take the blame, I took forever to ship him this, due to my job it's hard to get to the post office before it closes, so I sent him both this import bootdisc and a free game (game was not a burnz :P) I have tested the CDX extensively as it was the one I used for my other, non-modded dreamcast to play imports. So the problem lies with your Dreamcast Dave, sorry to say.
Don't worry about it; it's totally OK Neon-you've ALWAYS been a great trader to do business with- but do you think that the DC-X I just ordered will work on my Dreamcast, or do I need to buy another Dreamcast? Because if it's the latter, I'll have to wait until my first paycheck comes in from work, which could be weeks from now, and I might just be better off selling Trizeal, and my other DC games. (I could send you back Sega Rally 2) After all, I do have a region-modded Saturn, and I could put the money into that.
Farewell to hollow words
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

Dreamcvasts are only £14 in cash converters
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

*scratches head* Maybe since there's a Hitachi Saturn, I got a special model Schitzo-Dreamcast!

At any rate, the other night on AIM, Kiken told me to try a music CD on my Dreamcast. It worked, and so he said that if that worked, the DC-X probably would. And, thank goodness, it does! I really didn't want to shell out more money towards getting another Dreamcast. ('Cause after a few paychecks at my new job, IT'S DUO TIME, BABY!!! :D 8) )

So I finally got a chance to play Trizeal and Rainbow Cotton. Trizeal is straight up old-school shooting, and IMO worth getting a Dreamcast for.

Rainbow Cotton isn't anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be, IMO. I love rail shooters (second to shmups) and, while there is centering and targeting issues in this game, it's nothing you can't work through with the DC's analog stick. And the boss fights are in no way unfair-all you have to do is move out of their way when they attack. Is this game as good as Panaorama Cotton for the Mega Drive? Heck no, but it's FAR cheaper, and a solid purchase if you're into the Cotton series heavily, like I am.

Honestly, the only complaint I have against Rainbow Cotton is that there's no rapid fire, AFIK.
Farewell to hollow words
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Don't forget to treat your good folks to a nice dinner with that first paycheque ;)

I blew mine on the dinner, ST-V mobo, and some MVS games :D
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

iatneH wrote:Don't forget to treat your good folks to a nice dinner with that first paycheque ;)

I blew mine on the dinner, ST-V mobo, and some MVS games :D
Well, every time I try to pay my dad back for something, 99% of the time he won't even let me. It's irritating to ALL of us in our family how he has to have this hero complex.

In any case, my first paycheck will go to The Blend, the 20-something's church group whom God has used to uplift me during my latest struggle with anxiety, and help bring me to where I am at now in life.
Farewell to hollow words