I just rotated my monitor for the first time and...uh oh.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ramus

I just rotated my monitor for the first time and...uh oh.

Post by Ramus »

I rotated my monitor to the standard vertical position which is a 45º turn counter-clockwise. There are color bursts which I know I can fix with a degaussing coil but there is another problem. There are now faint vertical scan lines going across the screen. They are not too noticeable unless there is a background with nothing on it (i.e. Psikyp title screen amd US level when you fight the boss). Will a degaussing coil fix this problem or do I need to do something else? :cry:
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I think you mean 90 degrees CCW....

Did you let it sit for a while before turning it on? Even if you have a degaussing coil, can't hurt to take extra precautions.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Oops, I meant 90º. I let it sit for a while and turned it on. The scan lines still show up but the color is better. When I get my coil back I'll fix the color. Anymore ideas about the scan lines?
My Collection
landshark

Post by landshark »

Trinitron monitors usually have 2 visible scanlines across the entire screen. Is it possible you never noticed them before?
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Ya, I never seen them before. It's some sort of Samsung monitor.
My Collection
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

It could be that your monitor uses an apature (sp?) grill instead of a shadow mask to display the picture. Grills are made of extremely thin metal wires running vertically (horizontally if it's tate'd) behind the glass in the tube. If some of those got fucked up in the rotation process, then that would be a viable cause of your faint lines, and there's nothing you can do about it other than getting a new monitor.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

FUCK!!!

Thanks for the info. :cry:
My Collection
dpful

Post by dpful »

Does the picture seem any brighter? If so, then you could try turning down the bright. If it's too high in low contrast, you can see lines.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

I tried messing with that stuff, but not too much. I'll try that again.

Thanks.
My Collection
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

Do you have a japanese cab? It's far more common to get this problem with a rotated monitor if you arent using a 110v-100v step down converter. They aren't too costly and you should be using one in the first place. IUt always makes for a sharper picture anyway. Good luck.
Hail Atlantis!
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

It has been fixed. Replaced a cap that looked a little suspicious and it works fine. Didn't think that was the problem, but at least the screen is clear again. Thanks everyone for the advice.
My Collection