Using Console as Supergun

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Using Console as Supergun

Post by D »

I just had this idea and it might even work or not.

Matt,

How easy would it be to write a program for Dreamcast for instance to make it function like a supergun? or make a small supergun that you can link to your Dreamcast so you play with an unmodded dc and dc joyports through the mini supergun to the pcb?

It should be possible right?

EDIT is this what I am referring to?
http://home.netvigator.com/~cosmicco/Dr ... +Mcard.jpg
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Sorry but your idea makes no sense to me. It sounds like you are saying you want to play PCB's "through" your dreamcast via a supergun? This is impossible.

And the device you linked to is an an MGCD Dreamcast to Jamma adapater (I have one of these). It allows you to play a dreamcast like its a jamma PCB. So most you could do with this is play your dreacmast through the supergun via this MGCD device...but whats the point since the dreamcast can interface with your tv directly? I think you got the idea backwards thats all.
undamned

Re: Using Console as Supergun

Post by undamned »

D wrote:I just had this idea and it might even work or not.

Matt,

How easy would it be to write a program for Dreamcast for instance to make it function like a supergun? or make a small supergun that you can link to your Dreamcast so you play with an unmodded dc and dc joyports through the mini supergun to the pcb?

It should be possible right?
Possible - Yes. Worthwhile - No. The amount of work involved would far outweigh the benefit. Just build/get a supergun with S/Composite vid outputs and hack some DC controlers. Sorry to rain on your parade :( Props for a creative idea, though.

D wrote:EDIT is this what I am referring to?
http://home.netvigator.com/~cosmicco/Dr ... +Mcard.jpg
No. That device just alows you to play your DC in an arcade cab.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
japtor

Post by japtor »

Dave_K. wrote:Sorry but your idea makes no sense to me. It sounds like you are saying you want to play PCB's "through" your dreamcast via a supergun? This is impossible.

And the device you linked to is an an MGCD Dreamcast to Jamma adapater (I have one of these). It allows you to play a dreamcast like its a jamma PCB. So most you could do with this is play your dreacmast through the supergun via this MGCD device...but whats the point since the dreamcast can interface with your tv directly? I think you got the idea backwards thats all.
not to derail the thread (if it was going anywhere), but can the mgcd act as a plain dc-jamma adapter? i just remember it having sort of built in hacks for games for arcade use, but could never tell if it could be used as just a basic adapter for use with any game.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

japtor wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Sorry but your idea makes no sense to me. It sounds like you are saying you want to play PCB's "through" your dreamcast via a supergun? This is impossible.

not to derail the thread (if it was going anywhere), but can the mgcd act as a plain dc-jamma adapter? i just remember it having sort of built in hacks for games for arcade use, but could never tell if it could be used as just a basic adapter for use with any game.
Yes, you can put it into "coin for time mode", and it will work with virtually any DC game. You can even set the dip switches to give you 256 minutes per coin insert. It is pretty hacky though I'll admit that. You also have to modify your jamma connector slightly so you don't ground out buttons 5 & 6 per player. The process is simple, and reversable if you do it correctly.
zakk

Post by zakk »

I've always wondered: does it allow you to do 31khz display as an option, or only 15k?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

zakk wrote:I've always wondered: does it allow you to do 31khz display as an option, or only 15k?
15khz only through the MGCD.
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Heh, this reminds me of the old arcades I used to go to in Greece. They'd have acrade cabs with dreamcasts inside. The DCs were hooked up to some sort of external device such that a credit counter was overlayed ontop of the game picture.

Whenver you put in a credit and pressed start, it would automatically jump into the game from the title screen and select one player mode from the game's menu (to keep people from messing with options or playing practice modes I suppose). I also think that when you got a game over, it would soft reset back to the title screen.
Good luck or cry.
japtor

Post by japtor »

Balzac wrote:Heh, this reminds me of the old arcades I used to go to in Greece. They'd have acrade cabs with dreamcasts inside. The DCs were hooked up to some sort of external device such that a credit counter was overlayed ontop of the game picture.

Whenver you put in a credit and pressed start, it would automatically jump into the game from the title screen and select one player mode from the game's menu (to keep people from messing with options or playing practice modes I suppose). I also think that when you got a game over, it would soft reset back to the title screen.
that sounds like what the mgcd does, at least from what i remember reading about it. thats the 'built in hacks' thing i mentioned before, theres a list of 'compatible' games somewhere.

dave - were you the one with the ps2 in a cab too? if so do you use a similar device to hook that up to your cab? ive seen them on excellents price/hardware lists