Project Yokotate mk2 - Silicon Optix Image Anyplace

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
undamned

Re: Project Yokotate mk2 - Silicon Optix Image Anyplace

Post by undamned »

Running 720p via DVI-D:

A little Layer Section in Yokotate:
(oddly, my TV's bluish hue is barely notable in person)

To give a better sense of scale, this TV is capable of a 55" diagonal image and running Yokotate yields a 32" diagonal image, which is larger than the 29" CRT in my Namco Excellena. :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
LastSilmaril

Post by LastSilmaril »

Quick question for others who have the IA: the unit I got didn't come with a remote, and I was wondering if perhaps someone with the remote and an IR code capturing device could share the codes with me? It's a hassle to make adjustments right up against the television.
NWrain

Post by NWrain »

I had a Image Anyplace a while ago that didn't have a remote. I contacted Flexible Picture Systems (current owners of the brand) and I believe they told me it was $35. I asked for more payment details, but they never responded back.

http://www.flexiblepicturesystems.com/contact.html
LastSilmaril

Post by LastSilmaril »

NWrain wrote:I had a Image Anyplace a while ago that didn't have a remote. I contacted Flexible Picture Systems (current owners of the brand) and I believe they told me it was $35. I asked for more payment details, but they never responded back.

http://www.flexiblepicturesystems.com/contact.html
Thanks! I just shot them an email.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Bought one recently ($75 :D) that's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
I have a few quick questions:
Is audio going to be noticeably out of sync if I'm not delaying it somehow?
Are there any firmware updates floating around (all I could find was the OoW page for FPS citing a $500 service fee for firmware upgrades and minor repairs)?
An RGB transcoder is preferable to a converter, correct?

Thanks in advance to whoever helps me out :).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, should still be in the undetectable range for most people.
Are there any firmware updates floating around
don't think so. Various FWs had various features, basically upgrading the system to more expensive systems. Unless you're missing the geometry/rotation controls, you should not worry about it.
yes.
Lord of Pirates

Fudoh wrote:
no, should still be in the undetectable range for most people.
Are there any firmware updates floating around
don't think so. Various FWs had various features, basically upgrading the system to more expensive systems. Unless you're missing the geometry/rotation controls, you should not worry about it.
yes.
Good to hear, thank you. Are there any transcoders you'd recommend? I was searching earlier and the cheapest I saw was nearly $90.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Considering getting these for a Darius setup... image mirroring would solve some of the problems with half-mirror flipped images.
Lord of Pirates

Some crappy pictures of the status screen and Trizeal:
There's some kind of tape residue on the top of the unit that I'll need to try and clean :lol:.

Now I just need a transcoder and I'm good to go.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Second the request for a reasonably priced RGB to component PCB or device;
I've tried cheaper ones and they've introduced ghosting and blurring;
more expensive ones do the job but they're typically over $100.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

didn't most people make rather good experiences with those CSY-2100 clones all over eBay?

You can usually pick up an original CSY-2100 2nd hand quite cheap. Alternatives are the QED version (same model) or something from Kramer. Crenscendo systems works as well and so does the Micomsoft XSelect-D4. Easily gets quite expensive though.
Lord of Pirates

Fudoh wrote:didn't most people make rather good experiences with those CSY-2100 clones all over eBay?

You can usually pick up an original CSY-2100 2nd hand quite cheap. Alternatives are the QED version (same model) or something from Kramer. Crenscendo systems works as well and so does the Micomsoft XSelect-D4. Easily gets quite expensive though.
One of these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB-t ... 337dfa167b

What's the difference between a transcoder and a converter? I presume the converter is doing things with the signal that don't need to be done while a transcoder isn't? Sorry if that's a dumb question, Google didn't yield any particularly detailed explanations.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

basically, yes. But most people call it converter anyway.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Lord of Pirates wrote:Image
Is that a launch model 20GB PS3? Please detail the apparently insane lengths you've gone to to keep it running. I've got a 60GB to which I've done no mods, but am terrified to play TLOU on it for fear of killing it.
Lord of Pirates

HDgaming42 wrote:Is that a launch model 20GB PS3? Please detail the apparently insane lengths you've gone to to keep it running. I've got a 60GB to which I've done no mods, but am terrified to play TLOU on it for fear of killing it.
It is, and I bought it as you see it; the previous owner gutted the original fan and replaced it with the one on the right, they also wired the cheapo CM heatsink/fan in, both are running on an ac adapter rather than through the system. I consistently ran it for 6+ hours with no problems before I got my slim, now I only use it for things I need CFW for. As for the environment, it's sitting on stone, airflow is good, there's a large ceiling fan I always have on, and I try to keep my house below 80F. I've thought about removing the heatsink from the CM fan and attaching the fan to the system, so it would actually do something, but I've never gotten around to it. I'd say it's a combination of no unnecessary voltage running through the system and the fan being able to push more air that keeps it running, though not playing in a hot and stuffy environment probably helps too :P.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Fudoh, I picked one up from ebay but mine does NOT have the rotation option. Is there a way to update the firmware or am I SOL here?
Also, is there no way to force the output resolution? It is auto-detecting to 1920x1200 but I want it to output at 1024x768 or the native
resolution of the iPad LCD that I am using.

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There are have been literally a dozen of different versions. Some missing the extended geometry settings which include rotation, others might have been fixed to certain resolutions. Mine was able to output at any resolution - at the user's choice.

Shoot me a PM and I'll upload the whole FW package I have for the SOIA. I haven't done anything with it though and I don't know if you'll be able to unlock any additional features.

I think to remember that the output resolution and timings are not set in the menu, but with the front buttons instead and on the integrated LCD instead using an OSD.
Lord of Pirates

Fudoh wrote:There are have been literally a dozen of different versions. Some missing the extended geometry settings which include rotation, others might have been fixed to certain resolutions. Mine was able to output at any resolution - at the user's choice.

Shoot me a PM and I'll upload the whole FW package I have for the SOIA. I haven't done anything with it though and I don't know if you'll be able to unlock any additional features.

I think to remember that the output resolution and timings are not set in the menu, but with the front buttons instead and on the integrated LCD instead using an OSD.
Is the version not specified in the FW filename?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

AnyPlace_v200_016_96M.hex and AnyPlace_v200_021_96M.hex
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

alamone wrote:Fudoh, I picked one up from ebay but mine does NOT have the rotation option. Is there a way to update the firmware or am I SOL here?
Also, is there no way to force the output resolution? It is auto-detecting to 1920x1200 but I want it to output at 1024x768 or the native
resolution of the iPad LCD that I am using.
Was yours in a blue chassis? I got burned by a eBay purchase with the limited functionality too. Never attempted the firmware flash--would love to hear how it goes.

Fudoh--perhaps updating your site with a disclaimer about the number of units with differing functionality is in order? I see more and more of them popping up on eBay, and I imagine more and more retrogamers are going to get burned not knowing to ask if the unit *actually* does rotation...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Lord of Pirates

Thank you :D!

According to the changelog, version 1.200.011 is when they added the rotate function, v1.200.010 and below don't have it.

At HDGaming: I poked around the manuals, the blue chassis is (or should be) the OptiScale, the rotate functionality is missing on the feature list. There's a folder with the rotate setup exe though, so it may be possible if you're controlling it through the serial port :??

Edit: Successfully updated my firmware to .030 and HD FPGA 7.0.20, thanks again, Fudoh :).
alamone

Post by alamone »

Lord of Pirates wrote: Edit: Successfully updated my firmware to .030 and HD FPGA 7.0.20, thanks again, Fudoh :).
Maybe you can describe the procedure in more detail?
I ordered a FTDI USB to RS232 cable and waiting on that to arrive before I can attempt the firmware upgrade.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Successfully updated my firmware to .030 and HD FPGA 7.0.20, thanks again, Fudoh
nice! And indeed, please provide a little more information on which files from the package you used. I'd certainly include the info on my website. Which version were you running before ? Did you have missing features before the update ?
I ordered a FTDI USB to RS232 cable and waiting on that to arrive before I can attempt the firmware upgrade.
I hope this works. On Optoma units that's a no-go. Usually it's better to use a hardware com port, for example a RS232 PCIe card.
Lord of Pirates

alamone wrote:
Lord of Pirates wrote: Edit: Successfully updated my firmware to .030 and HD FPGA 7.0.20, thanks again, Fudoh :).
Maybe you can describe the procedure in more detail?
I used a regular RS232 from the IA to a hardware serial port and followed the instructions that came with the firmware (also located in the PC Loader folder). All of the settings were already configured as the instructions said but it can't hurt to double check.
Fudoh wrote:
Successfully updated my firmware to .030 and HD FPGA 7.0.20, thanks again, Fudoh
nice! And indeed, please provide a little more information on which files from the package you used. I'd certainly include the info on my website. Which version were you running before ? Did you have missing features before the update ?
I hope this works. On Optoma units that's a no-go. Usually it's better to use a hardware com port, for example a RS232 PCIe card.
I installed the software in the AP CD 1.7 folder and used the FW/FPGA files in the zip named Firmware_update_v30_10_4_2007.zip as it's the newest in the FW folder. I came from v21 and no features were missing beforehand. The txt file in the zip has a full changelog from the initial release to v30 and it shows the rotate function being added with v11.

Edit: FPS got back to me and I was able to access their FTP, the newest update there for the IA-100 was v31. Unfortunately there's no changelog in the zip so what it does is a mystery. I'll jot down all my menu options and the options in setup mode and compare them after I update again.
parts

Post by parts »

For some reason every firmware after 024 broke the sync on my soia. Took a week of trying different combinations and tech support phone calls. All is good now.
Lord of Pirates

parts wrote:For some reason every firmware after 024 broke the sync on my soia. Took a week of trying different combinations and tech support phone calls. All is good now.
Oh?

Forgot to mention this but, I don't know if you can use the BEX FPGA update on a regular IA, mine is so I went ahead and updated with it. It may be that you just need to update to that to enable the eWarp/edge blending options.

Sync issues indeed :shock:. I tested SD component (Wii at 480i), the two composite inputs, and the VGA input, component and VGA worked fine, composite had issues. I bounced back to v21 for now, if anyone wants me to run specific tests on specific firmware just let me know and I will (provided I have the hardware :P).
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Thanks for keeping us updated. I actually no longer have the machine, but am curious nonetheless.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Got my FTDI cable in and it works! On my PC it was auto-detected by Win 7 x64 and assigned to COM3.
This cable for your reference: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S72HHO/

I followed the instructions in "Silicon Optix/Firmware/IA_v216_Loading_Instructions.pdf" from Fudoh's zipfile,
updating using the latest firmware obtained from Lord of Pirates.

Now indeed there is a rotate option in the geometry menu. Great!
Now I just have to replace these noisy 40mm fans. I think the bearings or whatever are going bad.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Lord of Pirates wrote:According to the changelog, version 1.200.011 is when they added the rotate function, v1.200.010 and below don't have it.
There's another one on eBay, firmware version 1.200.12 and he checked the geometry section for me--no sign of "rotate". What's going on?