Project Yokotate mk2 - Silicon Optix Image Anyplace

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bateman82
Location: English is not my native language, sorry about any grammar mistakes.

Re: Project Yokotate mk2 - Silicon Optix Image Anyplace

Post by bateman82 »

Thank you so much for your help, Fudoh!

I hope that my SOIA will arrive soon from England and everything will be fine, because the seller has checked only if the machine turns on (so I don't know if it has the correct firmware with the rotation option).

1) Do you still have the package you posted here with the firmware (because the link has expired)?

Two last questions, a little off topic:

2) I'd like to buy the Toro VGA BOX (behabros) for my Dreamcast to replace my old one.
Will I have full compatibility (using only the vga output staight into the XPC-4) with all the titles even not-patched (240p even the tough ones, like Bangai-oh or Gunbird)?

3)The Xpc-4 has only one input and I will use the DVI to VGA included in the box.
But I need to enter three different vga input (X68000, Dreamcast, 240p console via Syncstrike), can you reccomend me a VGA SWITCH that will accept the different pin of the x68000's VGA?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

1) Do you still have the package you posted here with the firmware (because the link has expired)?
yes, somwhere (I have to dig a little). Just let me know if you need it.
2) I'd like to buy the Toro VGA BOX (behabros) for my Dreamcast to replace my old one.
Will I have full compatibility (using only the vga output staight into the XPC-4) with all the titles even not-patched (240p even the tough ones, like Bangai-oh or Gunbird)?
should be fine, yes.
3)The Xpc-4 has only one input and I will use the DVI to VGA included in the box.
But I need to enter three different vga input (X68000, Dreamcast, 240p console via Syncstrike), can you reccomend me a VGA SWITCH that will accept the different pin of the x68000's VGA?
What's different about the X68k ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

Thank you so much, things like that really makes me proud of being part of this wonderful retro community :D

Fudoh wrote:
I think it's different I found some info here:

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id= ... ese_rgb-15

Great great site for everything x68000's related!

Unlucky I'm not expert by any means, so I don't know if it is "compatible" with our standard VGA pinout.

I've found that the Extron 203 Rxi can be used as a Vga switch (using the Vga passive output straight into the XPC-4 and the BNC output into the SOIA), is it a good idea?

I've read on this other (very helpful and well made) site http://retrorgb.com/extronrxi.html that: "No matter what sync signal you input into the Rxi, it will output either RGBHV or RGBs", so my next question is:

if use with my old 240p console (pc engine, saturn etc...) first syncstrike, than Extron Rxi that transcode the signal in RGBHV do I still need to convert it in component to enter the SOIA?

I hope that everything is clear, but my english is awful and I'm a little bit confused.
bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

The SOIA hasn't arrived yet, I'm a little bit worried :(

Btw I've read every line of your great review of the SOIA (your site is amazing, my favourite guide to crt gaming and upscaler) and I can't find nothing about PAL/50 Hz compatibility (I've got a Pal Mega Drive and I'd like to buy a pal NES just to play the best version of Mario Bros Classic Serie and my Amiga cult Turrican), does the SOIA cause problems like xpc-4 ("PAL sources are accepted, but framerate-converted to the XPC's 60Hz output." and "the XPC-4 will accept signals with PAL timings, but will do a framerate conversion to 60Hz on their own. Again not perfect to play smoothly scrolling action games." "the XPC-4 will try to convert these boards' video outputs to 60Hz and introduce stutter with that (confirmed with Seibu Raiden Fighters 2)") ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The SOIA can output in 50Hz, so it's fine.
bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

Thanks, I hope that the SOIA will arrive this week.

What do you think about this?
bateman82 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
I think it's different I found some info here:

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id= ... ese_rgb-15

Great great site for everything x68000's related!

Unlucky I'm not expert by any means, so I don't know if it is "compatible" with our standard VGA pinout.

I've found that the Extron 203 Rxi can be used as a Vga switch (using the Vga passive output straight into the XPC-4 and the BNC output into the SOIA), is it a good idea?

I've read on this other (very helpful and well made) site http://retrorgb.com/extronrxi.html that: "No matter what sync signal you input into the Rxi, it will output either RGBHV or RGBs", so my next question is:

if I will use with my old 240p console (pc engine, saturn etc...) first syncstrike, then Extron Rxi that transcode the signal in RGBHV, do I still need to convert it in component to enter the SOIA?

I hope that everything is clear, but my english is awful and I'm a little bit confused.
Is it better to open a new topic for the compatibilty of the x68000 vga pinout with extron rxi?
defor

Post by defor »

Fudoh, or anyone still following this topic:

I've been using a SOIA with firmware v31 for a couple years- It's a great unit, but I've been having issues:
ROTATION 0: I can change phase, and position to get the image centered, and then exit the menu and settings stick.
ROTATION 90/-90: I can change phase, and it sticks when exiting the menu, but position flips back to (0,0) when exiting.

Interestingly, the position settings that I define in the position menu while rotated are in effect when unrotated.
In addition, I can set the position when rotated, via serial and it will stick.... Until the unit resyncs (signal loss or input format change)

I've tested this on 480p, 480i, and 240p input signals all with the same alarming loss of position controls after exiting the menu, or a resync if set via serial.

In ROTATION 0 mode, the position sticks through just about anything, signal loss, format change, or power cycle.
Has anyone else experienced these issues?

I've been tempted to downgrade to an older firmware, but I don't have the file to get back to v31.. suggestions?
EDIT: just got v31 hex file from FPS support- if anyone wants to add it to the firmware collection, let me know.
I'll try some older firmwares and see if the issue is persistent across the board.

EDIT 2: I've tested all three firmwares, and I'm still having the same issue, on any input type, the position settings don't stick after leaving the menu or (if set via serial) after a loss of sync. Anyone?

Thanks!
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Sorry to bump this thread, but i'm thinkning about picking up an Image Anyplace and just had a few questions-

-The rear has BNC ports labelled "SDTV INPUTS" and "HDTV INPUTS", but which of these should be used if the device is capable of both 480i and 480p? (EDTV) Or put another way, what is the reason for the SDTV/HDTV distinction?

-Has anyone tested if the RGBHV input can accept 15kHz RGB signals? (e.g. SCART with a sync separator)

-Does anyone have a working link to download all the firmware updates? Or a link to the FTP server mentioned earlier in the thread? I emailed Flexible Picture Systems but they never replied :(

Thanks in advance for any info :)
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Link83 wrote:Sorry to bump this thread, but i'm thinkning about picking up an Image Anyplace and just had a few questions-

-The rear has BNC ports labelled "SDTV INPUTS" and "HDTV INPUTS", but which of these should be used if the device is capable of both 480i and 480p? (EDTV) Or put another way, what is the reason for the SDTV/HDTV distinction?

-Has anyone tested if the RGBHV input can accept 15kHz RGB signals? (e.g. SCART with a sync separator)
Didn't work for me. I recommend using a line doubler. You can also convert SCART to component and feed 240p into the SOIA that way.
Link83 wrote: -Does anyone have a working link to download all the firmware updates? Or a link to the FTP server mentioned earlier in the thread? I emailed Flexible Picture Systems but they never replied :(

Here:

Firmware
http://www.mediafire.com/file/g1q2zg242g79vgo/SOIA.zip

Manual
http://www.mediafire.com/file/r1pcddzkf ... 070553.pdf

Very user friendly device. :) Try to get one with a remote.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Link83

Post by Link83 »

orange808 wrote:
Link83 wrote:Sorry to bump this thread, but i'm thinkning about picking up an Image Anyplace and just had a few questions-

Didn't work for me. I recommend using a line doubler. You can also convert SCART to component and feed 240p into the SOIA that way.
Link83 wrote: -Does anyone have a working link to download all the firmware updates? Or a link to the FTP server mentioned earlier in the thread? I emailed Flexible Picture Systems but they never replied :(

Here:

Firmware
http://www.mediafire.com/file/g1q2zg242g79vgo/SOIA.zip

Manual
http://www.mediafire.com/file/r1pcddzkf ... 070553.pdf

Very user friendly device. :) Try to get one with a remote.
Brilliant, thank you! :D I will definitely try and get one with a remote, and will probably use a CSY-2100 to convert SCART to Component (Unless anyone has a better suggestion?)

After reading the manual i'm still a little confused as to why each set of inputs is labelled SDTV/HDTV though :?
Does the HDTV YPbPr input not accept 240p?

<EDIT>It looks like the HDTV inputs have the defaults for a few settings tweaked compared to the SDTV and GRAPHICS inputs (Aspect Ratio, Brightness) but I think these could be changed to match the other inputs?

I also noticed this:-
Silicon Optix Image AnyPlace Manual wrote:GenLock can be enabled as a Slave or a Master or can be disabled.

When enabled as a Master, the IA-100 drives the output timeline vertical sync
out of the composite sync #2 connector (COMP2).

When enabled as a Slave, the IA-100 expects to receive an external vertical
sync on the composite sync #1 connector (COMP1).

When in Slave mode, the IA-100 will buffer the external sync from COMP1
and drive it on the COMP2 connector (allowing units to be daisy chained).

When disbled, the IA-100 accepts SDTV composite inputs on the COMP1 and
COMP2 connectors.
I wonder if that could be used with Composite Sync from SCART?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Genlock is for fast switching between inputs and syncing multiple units. It won't help us very much with signal compatibility.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Link83

Post by Link83 »

orange808 wrote:Genlock is for fast switching between inputs and syncing multiple units. It won't help us very much with signal compatibility.
Oh well, it was just an idea.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

After reading the manual i'm still a little confused as to why each set of inputs is labelled SDTV/HDTV though :?
Does the HDTV YPbPr input not accept 240p?
that's because the Faroudja processor used inside does not support 31khz inputs, meaning that the ED/HD inputs are routed past the Faroudja directly into the scaler, whereas the SD signals are routed into the FLI2200 and are only then passed into the scaling unit.

Many processors around the same time had seperate SD and ED/HD inputs.

There is no way to use the same source with 15 and 31khz output without using a splitter or matrix in between. The HD inputs do not accept 15khz. The SOIA does not accept any kind of 15khz RGB signal.
caius

Post by caius »

Hi all,
I have bought a Silicon Optix Image Anyplace since want to use it wit my Sega Astro City cabinet trying to benefit of image rotation for my vertical PCBs
Since Anyplace will not accept the 15KHz RBGs from arcade PCBs I need first a RGB to component transcoder, I have spotted this :

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGBv4/index.html

For the output conversion from the Anyplace I'd need a scan converter, e.g. an Extron VSC.Does someone can advice me some model or the best whole configuration for my purpose?Thanks in advance.
dylandude53

Post by dylandude53 »

Fudoh, I was wondering if you could send me your firmware for your Silicon Optix Image Anyplace Upscaler. I am having trouble finding a firmware download and I was wondering if you could send me your firmware.
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

How can I select 1080i output on the SOIA? There's a 720p option, but not 1080i. Any help is appreciated.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

1080i (and p) isn't available. I think the highest res was some JVC-specific 1050p timing.

1080i usually increases processing time on the display's side, so it wouldn't be a good choice anyway.
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Ah OK. Thanks Fudoh. The reason why I asked is because I have one of these old Panasonic HD CRT tv that stupidly can do 480p and 1080i but not 720p.

The other problem I have is the rolling of the picture for PS1 games. I'm waiting for the serial cable to arrive to downgrade the firmware...
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Does anyone have the PC Loader program so I can try to downgrade my SOIA? Also, what firmware version should I install for SOIA to work properly with 240p sources? I downloaded the firmware from the link couple of posts above and there are a whole bunch of stuff in there. Here's a screen shot. What hex file should I use?

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

2nd and 3rd from top. You basically choose between the 1.200.016 and 1.200.021 versions. The included txt. files includes changes up to the 016 version, so I don't know what changed between that one and the 021 one.

What version are you currently running?
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Fudoh wrote:2nd and 3rd from top. You basically choose between the 1.200.016 and 1.200.021 versions. The included txt. files includes changes up to the 016 version, so I don't know what changed between that one and the 021 one.

What version are you currently running?
I believe I'm running fpga 7.something. I forgot to record it before I load the new hex file. Do I have to load both the "anyplace" hex and the fpga hex? I loaded the 00.021 but now the SOIA can't recognize the signal and just shows a "no signal" message on my tv...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you check back on page 1 of this thread and read "lord of pirates"'s posting, I guess you better install the complete set (FW + FPGA + HDTV FPGA) of files. He successfully installed in the 030 version (see the seperate zip file). I guess when down grading you need a matching set of hex files as well.
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Fudoh wrote:If you check back on page 1 of this thread and read "lord of pirates"'s posting, I guess you better install the complete set (FW + FPGA + HDTV FPGA) of files. He successfully installed in the 030 version (see the seperate zip file). I guess when down grading you need a matching set of hex files as well.
Thanks. So after a bunch of trials an errors, I got the picture back and the rolling issue of 240p ps1 source has been resolved. I flashed the following to the SOIA:

AnyPlace_v200_021_96M.hex
AnyPlace_Sidekick_FPGA_v1004.hex
BEX_hdtv_fpga_200K_rev7020.hex

Not sure what's that Sidekick fpga is but I assume it the "regular" fpga and not the "hd" one as the BEX one is the hd.

Awesome scaler!
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

... and by the way, after flashing those 3 files onto the SOIA, 1080i is available! :lol:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

excellent, congrats!
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Fudoh wrote:excellent, congrats!
Thanks. But now the problem is I can't rotate. It doesn't matter what I choose (90 or -90) the screen flickers a little but then stays the same orientation.
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Could someone with v31 firmware please post it here so I can give a try? Thanks in advance.
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Well, it turns out that I can rotate on 720p but not 1080i...
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Fudoh,

You mentioned in your article that SOIA doesn't do a good job in rotating image with scanlines. What if you apply the SLG3000 after the already-roatated image? I don't have the SLG3000 so why I ask.

Thanks!