Project Yokotate mk2 - Silicon Optix Image Anyplace

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
alamone

Re: Project Yokotate mk2 - Silicon Optix Image Anyplace

Post by alamone »

I wouldn't worry about the exact version when the feature was added.
Updating the firmware is pretty easy as long as you have some access to a serial connection,
either natively or by a USB converter. So if you want to pick one up for rotation, I'd say go for it.

Also, I was able to adjust the resolution to the iPad's native 1024x768 by messing around with
the front panel settings when the unit is on standby (power switch on back is on, but power on front is off).
The front panel LCD tells you what settings you're adjusting.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

HDgaming42 wrote:
Lord of Pirates wrote:According to the changelog, version 1.200.011 is when they added the rotate function, v1.200.010 and below don't have it.
There's another one on eBay, firmware version 1.200.12 and he checked the geometry section for me--no sign of "rotate". What's going on?
It's an IA and not an OptiScale? Which versions are the FPGA and HD FPGA?
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Lord of Pirates wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:
Lord of Pirates wrote:According to the changelog, version 1.200.011 is when they added the rotate function, v1.200.010 and below don't have it.
There's another one on eBay, firmware version 1.200.12 and he checked the geometry section for me--no sign of "rotate". What's going on?
It's an IA and not an OptiScale? Which versions are the FPGA and HD FPGA?
here:

Lord of Pirates

HDgaming42 wrote: here:

This is likely why:
Version 1.200.013 (12/16/04)
----------------------------

1.) An internal conflict that was preventing the "Rotate" from
functioning (in Version 1.200.012 only) has been corrected.
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

does anyone know where a list of console games with a tate mode would be?
Lord of Pirates

panzeroceania wrote:does anyone know where a list of console games with a tate mode would be?
I don't know if it's complete, but this list has a fair number of titles:
http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/book/export/html/11302
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

Does that make this the first home PC port with a tate mode?

--Sharp X68000 - Dragon Spirit (1988)

and one of the following would be the first console game with tate mode?

Sega Saturn

Gunbird (1995)
Layer Section (1995)

Sony Playstation

Galaga (Namco Museum Vol. 1) (1995)
Pac-Man (Namco Museum Vol. 1) (1995)
Raiden (Raiden Project) (1995)
Raiden II (Raiden Project) (1995)
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Lord of Pirates wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote: here:

This is likely why:
Version 1.200.013 (12/16/04)
----------------------------

1.) An internal conflict that was preventing the "Rotate" from
functioning (in Version 1.200.012 only) has been corrected.
Does it appear like this unit could be updated to add rotation?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it certainly does. All units except for the blue Optiplex ones should be updateable.
parodius

Post by parodius »

SGGG2 wrote:It'll rotate the image no problem, but the scaling engine isn't perfectly even, so some scanlines may look too thick, too thin or uneven. It'll be ugly.
Just to give my 2 cents : I've been playing with my IA today, trying the rotation with scanlines for the first time, and... it's not so bad to be honest. I expected much worse.

Input : Sigma AV5000 => XRGB2 => SLG3000 => VGA input
Output : DVI out => DVI/HDMI adapter => Pioneer Kuro plasma screen
The output of my IA is stuck in 720p at the moment (left/right buttons on the front pannel stopped working).
I need to fix this & check if it would get better in other resolutions.

I took some pictures that you can see here :
http://parodius.free.fr/images/IA-Tate-Scanlines1.JPG
http://parodius.free.fr/images/IA-Tate-Scanlines2.JPG
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
stacey

Post by stacey »

I received one today that I bought off of ebay for $60 shipped with the rotation option included in the menu. I've been hooking up a PGM system with a supergun to my home theater projector for 4 player couch play as a summer project. Of course, that led me to look into options for "tate" on the big screen. (not that I'm very good at them)

Did a quick hookup to verify that the rotation option works....and yes it does. :D Bad news is since my supergun has scart output and the PGM has been know to output a strange sink I get a rolling picture with my scart to component transcoder. :(

Hope to do some troubleshooting this weekend. If I get it working I then have to buy some tate boards. I'll start with beestorm since it's a cart for the PGM...even though it's looked down upon from the "tate elite".

Update...got my synch issues worked out and it's working great.
natboy

Post by natboy »

Does anyone have the firmware's available and could upload them somewhere? thanks!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

natboy

Post by natboy »

Fudoh wrote:here you go: https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkkoz8

Awesome! Thanks!
A Murder Of Crows

Post by A Murder Of Crows »

i have a pair of Cyber Lead cabs and a couple of boards that are vert. In theory, would one of these allow me to use a vert based board in my cabs?

I seem to have missed the boat on these and can't find any for sale anywhere right now.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

i have a pair of Cyber Lead cabs and a couple of boards that are vert. In theory, would one of these allow me to use a vert based board in my cabs?
it only makes sense if you have a display that can do at least 720p.
I seem to have missed the boat on these and can't find any for sale anywhere right now.
these are cheaper than ever, hardly more than $80 these past months.
A Murder Of Crows

Yeah, the prices have been good, but all of the ones for sale are gone. I take it that these show up fairly often?

What about displays that don't go up to 720p?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Yeah, the prices have been good, but all of the ones for sale are gone.
I take it that these show up fairly often?
they're far from rare.
What about displays that don't go up to 720p?
not worth it. After the initial line doubling step you have a 640x480p or 720x480p image. To display this vertically you need 1280x720p.
A Murder Of Crows

ugh. all i wanted was to use some verts on my horizontal cab. back to the drawing board i guess.
bateman82
Location: English is not my native language, sorry about any grammar mistakes.

Post by bateman82 »

Hi, I've just bought a SOIA but unlucky it doesn't have the power supply.

Someone knows the right voltage or the size of power connector (maybe post a link from Ebay, Amazon or any other electronic sellers)?

Another question, I'd like to use with a sony BVM A20F1M, mainly to tate Saturn and Ps1 shmups via a Sync Strike, does it output 240p (or does it only upscales resolution)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my rusted english.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Hi, I've just bought a SOIA but unlucky it doesn't have the power supply.
it has an integrated PSU, so you just need a power cable (standard 3-pin).
Another question, I'd like to use with a sony BVM A20F1M, mainly to tate Saturn and Ps1 shmups via a Sync Strike, does it output 240p (or does it only upscales resolution)?
only upscaled.
bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

Thank you very much for the quick reply Fudoh!

A couple of questions:

1)I've bought a Xpc-4 mainly for the x68000, but now I'd like to use for other retroconsole. First which hd tv do you think is better: my kuro lx5090h (pro: dimensions, colours, cons: input lag) or my kdl 42 w653a (pro: input lag cons: dimensions, colours).

2)My "ideal" chain will be Saturn, Ps1, Neo Geo CD, Pc engine CD-> Joytech AV Control Center -> Sync Strike-> a VGA switch with two other input to connect DC and x68000 (so I need one with three vga inputs free)-> SOIA -> TV.
Is better to use two separate outputs of the Xpc-4 (one for normal gameplay, other for tate gaming)?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

First which hd tv do you think is better: my kuro lx5090h (pro: dimensions, colours, cons: input lag) or my kdl 42 w653a (pro: input lag cons: dimensions, colours).
I would probably less timing-critical games on the Kuro, while using the Sony for action games and shoot'em ups. Or maybe just tate the Sony...
My "ideal" chain will be Saturn, Ps1, Neo Geo CD, Pc engine CD-> Joytech AV Control Center -> Sync Strike-> a VGA switch with two other input to connect DC and x68000 (so I need one with three vga inputs free)-> SOIA -> TV.
if I remember right, the SOIA does not process 15khz RGBs.
bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

Fudoh wrote:
First which hd tv do you think is better: my kuro lx5090h (pro: dimensions, colours, cons: input lag) or my kdl 42 w653a (pro: input lag cons: dimensions, colours).
I would probably less timing-critical games on the Kuro, while using the Sony for action games and shoot'em ups. Or maybe just tate the Sony...
Thank you, I will probably use the xpc-4 via hdmi only on the Sony since I love arcade style actions, run and guns and shoot 'em ups.

I'd like to buy this soundbase https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-ht-xt1/review/ to improve a little sound and add three hdmi ports, do you think it will add lag on the 3 hdmi input on the soundbase?
Fudoh wrote:
My "ideal" chain will be Saturn, Ps1, Neo Geo CD, Pc engine CD-> Joytech AV Control Center -> Sync Strike-> a VGA switch with two other input to connect DC and x68000 (so I need one with three vga inputs free)-> SOIA -> TV.
if I remember right, the SOIA does not process 15khz RGBs.
My mistake I forgot one step in the chain:

Saturn, Ps1, Neo Geo CD, Pc engine CD->
Joytech AV Control Center ->
Sync Strike->
a VGA switch with two other input to connect DC and x68000 (so I need one with three vga inputs free)->
XPC-4 via VGA to DVI adapter->
SOIA ->
TV
bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

How can i connect 15 khz sources (Saturn, Sigma Supergun, Ps1, etc...) to Optix Anyplace inputs?

Is a Synch Strike via VGA enough?

Because I need to know exactly what I have to buy.

Thanks in advance.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

bateman82 wrote:How can i connect 15 khz sources (Saturn, Sigma Supergun, Ps1, etc...) to Optix Anyplace inputs?

Is a Synch Strike via VGA enough?

Because I need to know exactly what I have to buy.

Thanks in advance.
I chain a supergun RGB out through XRGB-1 and into the SOIA. Next, I have the SLG 3000. Finally, the Extron RGB 118 and my monitor.

It's really up to you. You probably need a line doubler with RGBHV 480p 31kHz out.

You only need an Extron if you have an exotic PVM. Also, the RGB 118's 9 pin universal input has always been a pain in my rear.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

Thanks a lot for your help!

So can you confirm that the SOYA wouldn't accept any 240p - 15 khz source (so I have to use the XPC to upscale and then connect it to the SOYA)?

Has someone tried to connect 480i component ps2?

How does it deinterlace the image (better or worst than a framemeister or dvdo edge)?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

So can you confirm that the SOYA wouldn't accept any 240p - 15 khz source (so I have to use the XPC to upscale and then connect it to the SOYA)?
just read my review. Of course the SOIA accepts 15khz signals, both 240p and 480i, just not in RGBs format. If you want the SOIA to do the linedoubling (which it does rather nicely due to it's FLI2200 Faroudja design), you need a Scart to YUV transcoder. Those small boxes people in the US use to connect Scart RGB sources to their YUV-only CRTs.
How does it deinterlace the image (better or worst than a framemeister or dvdo edge)?
considerably better than a DVDO Edge, but not quite as sharp as a FM.
bateman82

Post by bateman82 »

Fudoh wrote:
considerably better than a DVDO Edge, but not quite as sharp as a FM.
Thanks Fudoh, I will connect my ps2 to the component output of the SOIA as soon as I will received it.
Fudoh wrote:
just read my review. Of course the SOIA accepts 15khz signals, both 240p and 480i, just not in RGBs format. If you want the SOIA to do the linedoubling (which it does rather nicely due to it's FLI2200 Faroudja design), you need a Scart to YUV transcoder. Those small boxes people in the US use to connect Scart RGB sources to their YUV-only CRTs.
Thanks a lot for your help and please understand that I'm not skilled as I'd like to be in this area.

1) Maybe it's a stupid question but If I use (example) SATURN (SCART RGB OUT)-> SYNC STRIKE-> XPC-4-> SOIA (VGA INPUT) does it works even if I not convert into component?

2) Or is it better to go this route SATURN (SCART RGB OUT)-> SMALL BOX TO CONVERT SCART TO YUV -> SOIA (COMPONENT INPUT) to avoid lag?

3) Is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/221102930392 one of the small boxes you wrote about?

Fourth and last question:

4) How many component inputs does it have the SOIA? From the pictures I will say two but I'm not sure.

Thanks for you patience.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

1) Maybe it's a stupid question but If I use (example) SATURN (SCART RGB OUT)-> SYNC STRIKE-> XPC-4-> SOIA (VGA INPUT) does it works even if I not convert into component?
If you linedouble using the XPC first, then you don't have to worry about going component.
2) Or is it better to go this route SATURN (SCART RGB OUT)-> SMALL BOX TO CONVERT SCART TO YUV -> SOIA (COMPONENT INPUT) to avoid lag?
lag should be about the same. The SOIA should be faster using a 31khz source signal, but then again you add a little lag from the XPC.
3) Is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/221102930392 one of the small boxes you wrote about?
no, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221156873851
4) How many component inputs does it have the SOIA? From the pictures I will say two but I'm not sure.
you have two sets of BNC inputs, but I don't remember if these are auto sensing or if one just takes SD and the other ED and HD.