ST-V mother board vs. MVS motherboard?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

ST-V mother board vs. MVS motherboard?

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

Which one has the better selection of games to play on? i have a supergun and have a neo geo hori fighting 2 sanwa which is perfect for mvs but i am really considering a st-v motherboard just for PRIIKURA DAISAKUSEN...
a mvs motherboard would be nice for pulstar,viewpoint,blazing stars, and srtikersplus
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
dpful

Post by dpful »

Neo Geo is the obvious choice, I think. cheaper, too, and a little better designed for home use.
You should get both.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

I wish I could find a ST-V JP MoBo.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

this is sort of off-topic, but quadp i have a saturn copy of Prikura Daisakusen for sale.

edit: apparently i edited it out at some point and forgot about it. it has returned.
Last edited by captain ahar on Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no sig whatsoever.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm, really? I didn't see it on your for sale thread, unless I just missed it.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'd go for the MVS. If you're into fighting games, then that's a no-brainer, but you also get run and guns, shmups, sports, puzzle games, action games. The MVS has a far better library than plenty of home consoles.

One warning though, collecting MVS carts can get really addicting because of the sheer variety of good and affordable carts. If you have a problem with buying more junk than you can afford stay away from the MVS.

Also, Neo Turf Masters alone is worth getting MVS for if you like playing 2 player games with your friends while getting trashed.
matt

Post by matt »

The answer to this question is very simple!

If you're a practical gamer, getting an ST-V is dumb. All of the good ST-V games have perfect Saturn ports which are smaller and nicer to play than the arcade versions.

The only reason to buy an ST-V is if you're attracted to the stark ruggedness of arcade hardware and somehow find it more interesting than soft, polished, consumer-oriented CDs. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The MVS, by contrast, has tons of really good games that you can't play anywhere else except MAME. There's really no excuse not to get one!
Gozur

Post by Gozur »

From a shmup perspective... I'd lean towards the Saturn / ST-V. Radiant Silvergun is enough reason. Neo MVS has a much better title selection than ST-V but as stated before the value concious type would go Saturn. BTW the Satourne emulator is supposedly close to supporting ST-V.
-Goz

NAOMI games: Border Down, Ikaruga, Trizeal, Chaos Field, Heavy Metal
Atomiswave: Dolphin Blue, Demolish Fist, Rumble Fish, Knights of Valour
Cabs: Crown powered by DC, Windy powered by Saturn & DC, Cyberlead
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

PPPP is on a Pspending Pspree...

I just got an MVS too and I love how cheap (most of) the games are! And they look gorgeous in S-video.
PC Engine Fan X!

I've got a JAP Bios ST-V mobo & USA Bios MVS MV-1 mobo..

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For a long time, I had a Sega ST-V RSG cart but no ST-V mobo to play it with...until one day, I won an auction for an original Japanese Bios ST-V mobo to play RSG with true 3-button arcade setup.

Was worth the wait to get a Japanese ST-V mobo (or you could get a USA Bios ST-V mobo modded with multi-bios chip to change from USA region to Japanese region via a flick of a simple switch).

(An original Japnese Bios ST-V mobo can't be modded with the multi-region chip though, works with USA Bios ST-V mobos only.)

The ST-V does output in stereo but you''d have to use an optional stereo cable adapter though.

It sometimes is a bitch to get the ST-V mobo to properly load up an ST-V cart...it usually takes me several tries of powering off & on to load up the respective ST-V cart.

Plus it's a known fact that the ST-V is very particular about getting it's "juice" to power it up...not enough "juice" and it'll freeze up in mid-gaming session. I've learned to plug in my Supergun into a regular A/C outlet to work properly (& not into a CPU surge protector as it'll cause my ST-V to start acting "bitchy").

If you want to play your Neo-Geo MVS games in stereo, then my suggestion is to go with the orginal Neo-Geo MVS MV-1 mobo as it outputs both in "mono" & "stereo". Playing Blazing Star MVS cart in true stereo is indeed a shmupper's paradise as opposed to playing it "mono" like on a smaller compact Neo-Geo MV-FZ1 mobo.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~