Micomsoft SC-500N1 RGB Capture Card

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Will

Re: Micomsoft SC-500N1 RGB Capture Card

Post by Will »

Is there any way to record from HDMI when using 108 drivers on a SC512? I read that Composite/S-Video did not work but apparently HDMI doesn't as well.

I guess I'll install 140 for when I'm doing HDMI stuff and 108 for retro stuff. At least it's a pretty fast install and you don't need to reboot.
Will

Post by Will »

Ran into a new issue with the SC512.

When trying to deinterlace 480i games while on the 108 driver it looks like this.

When I'm on the 140 drivers it looks normal

I'm using amarec2.20c is there a better version I should be using that might fix the deinterlacing issues on 108?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Any reason why you're using such an old version of Amarec? The current version is 3.10.
Will

Post by Will »

blizzz wrote:Any reason why you're using such an old version of Amarec? The current version is 3.10.
I think I remember there being something about it having the best version of Amarec live, but that was years ago. Even on 3.10 it still does this. 108 doesn't like being deinterlaced, maybe it's because these drivers aren't meant for this card, but they work great for 240p sources.
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

Is anybody here using 500n1 drivers with Windows 10? I did install Win10 a couple of months ago and did a quick test with capturing using sc-500n1 and it work flawless, but now when i tried to make more use of the card so do i realise i never tested it long enough and it turns out it locks up my PC after a couple of minutes of use and gives a blue screen saying "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION".
I tried many different drivers both from Micomsoft and Startech and they all give the same result, i also tried using Streamcatcher and Amarectv with no luck.
If anyone else is also using win10 and sc-500n1 and it works then the problem might something else than the cards drivers.

The only good thing to come from this is that i solved the 100% CPU when googling an solution, i fixed it (in win10) by going to "power options" and select "change plan setting" and the choose "restore default setting".
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Stefan, I'm using the SC-500N1 on Windows 10 without issues.
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

Thanks for the reply blizzz, now this means the drivers do work in win10 and i have some sort of other conflicting problem, i hope i manage to find a solution.
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

Stefan_L wrote:Is anybody here using 500n1 drivers with Windows 10? I did install Win10 a couple of months ago and did a quick test with capturing using sc-500n1 and it work flawless, but now when i tried to make more use of the card so do i realise i never tested it long enough and it turns out it locks up my PC after a couple of minutes of use and gives a blue screen saying "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION".
I tried many different drivers both from Micomsoft and Startech and they all give the same result, i also tried using Streamcatcher and Amarectv with no luck.
If anyone else is also using win10 and sc-500n1 and it works then the problem might something else than the cards drivers.

The only good thing to come from this is that i solved the 100% CPU when googling an solution, i fixed it (in win10) by going to "power options" and select "change plan setting" and the choose "restore default setting".
I also use a PEXHDCAP (which I believe is the same as a 500N1) on windows 10 with no issues.
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

I use a PEXHDCAP as well, but whatever was the latest driver before 1.1.0.160.5. Do not update to that driver for any reason, as it breaks analog RGB input completely.
sekai

Post by sekai »

I recently bought a PEXHDCAP from someone and I'm having difficulty installing it on windows 10. I'll be using it to capture video from another PC of which I connected the PEXHDCAP to the second DVI out on the GPU and cloned the desktop, the ATI Catalyst drivers for the PC detects the output correctly.

I have tried numerous driver installs on the PC that the PEXHDCAP is connected to, and nothing seems to work, the device isn't detected in OBS on any drivers I have tried. I have tried drivers of various ages from the official Micomsoft website, Startech website, and one from Yuan, none worked. I have also tried different PCIe slots (both 16x and 1x slots) and neither work. The person I bought the card from used the card the day before he sent it out, and the fact Catalyst detects it as an output shows the card is working.

Something to note, when installing drivers, the DPInst.exe installer completes in less than a second, and to me that doesn't seem right. The one from Yuan takes longer, but still doesnt work.

Any help would be appreciated but I have no idea where to go from here.
Dingledots

Post by Dingledots »

Hello. I was directed here after contacting the place where I ordered my Micomsoft card from with the issue of my computer blue screening with the WATCHDOG_VIOLATION on Windows 10 after a few minutes of using the capture card (much like Stefan). After about a week of emailing with them and downloading the drivers suggested by them, they contacted Micomsoft with the computer specifications they requested. They responded back with the following information: "The chipset AMD FX chipset is not 100% supported by the SC-512, so the upgrade to Windows 10 unfortunately is an issue here." They suggested waiting for Micomsoft to release Windows 10 drivers (and who knows when that will even be?) and to come by the community to see if anybody here has any suggestions. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

Right now, Micomsoft is ant an impasse with Yuan (the manufacturer of the actual card). The last version Yuan put out (and the last version Micomsoft is willing to publish), 1.0.160.5, broke analog RGB input (which is a big draw for buyers). Since then, Micomsoft recommends on the download page for the SC512 to use 1.0.140 instead.
FlareRDB

Post by FlareRDB »

I have the micomsoft SC512 version of this card and have a strange issue with component capture. If I'm staring at a blue background in a game for example, then I'll see some light flickering. The flickering doesn't appear in the pass-through to my TV and I tried drivers .160, .140 and .124. This shows up on my Black Wii + White Wii and I've tried different cables.

Currently I'm on Win7 64bit with the .140 drivers. Did I miss a certain setting or do I have a bad dongle or something? Maybe it's EMI or the Wii is just noisy in general.
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

shartqueefa and blizzz: Are you having AMD FX?

The problem is worse for me now, it is now locking up in a couple of seconds instead of minutes? Maybe it has to do with an update to Win10 that was released lately?

i do have AMD FX but it was working fine when i used Win7.
I did also uninstall the soundcard drivers and Geforce experince in case those were causing any conflicts but it made no effect.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I only have Intel platforms.
unmaker

Post by unmaker »

Stefan_L wrote:shartqueefa and blizzz: Are you having AMD FX?

The problem is worse for me now, it is now locking up in a couple of seconds instead of minutes? Maybe it has to do with an update to Win10 that was released lately?

i do have AMD FX but it was working fine when i used Win7.
I did also uninstall the soundcard drivers and Geforce experince in case those were causing any conflicts but it made no effect.
I have an old AMD a8-5500. I can't think of what could possibly be your problem, very strange
donhonk

Post by donhonk »

NightSprinter wrote:So, using my PEXHDCAP with the 142 drivers (which as mentioned is the only version that allows me to capture/stream DOS games somewhat adequately), I'm noticing quite a few anomalies. Here's a couple examples of them.

The reason I call them anomalies, is that it doesn't show up on any monitor I have.
Do you know where I can still get the 142 drivers? Just got a SC-512 and can only find 160 of the startech drivers. Also on 140 currently from Micomsoft and I get 100 percent CPU bug in OBS. :\

EDIT: Also, VideoKeeper2 doesnt experience the CPU bug, is that normal?
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

I'll check my drive and network drive when I get home.

Also, I upgraded the Win98 box to a Radeon 9200-LE. If I have just the DVI out connected to the card's DVI or HDMI input, I get an image from DOS. However, the card settings show a fixed 1024x768 resolution.
donhonk

Post by donhonk »

NightSprinter wrote:I'll check my drive and network drive when I get home.

Also, I upgraded the Win98 box to a Radeon 9200-LE. If I have just the DVI out connected to the card's DVI or HDMI input, I get an image from DOS. However, the card settings show a fixed 1024x768 resolution.
Thanks dude. And yeah I'm actually running a Win98 box too. Tried VGA but had the same image issues yours did, plus some weird color too. 6800 GT AGP, so using DVI now and it works fine for me. Ill have to check what res its reporting at.
NJRoadfan

Post by NJRoadfan »

Will wrote:Ran into a new issue with the SC512.

When trying to deinterlace 480i games while on the 108 driver it looks like this.

When I'm on the 140 drivers it looks normal

This looks like the field order is reversed, as in the application and/or video capture driver is treating "top field first" video as "bottom field first". Its easily fixed in post, but its likely a driver bug if it occurs in all video capture applications.
donhonk

Post by donhonk »

This problem look familiar to anyone: https://youtu.be/KXUVMeO1KF4 ? Get this nasty flicker. :C
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

I found the 142 driver you are looking for. When my desktop is set back up (having to reinstall windows), I'll pack it into a 7z archive and upload it for ya.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Edenal posted a bunch of SA7160 drivers a while ago: https://twitter.com/EdenalSDA/status/768521913085800448

The file "v143 driver March 2015 1.1.0.142.zip" contains driver version 142.
donhonk

Post by donhonk »

Appreciate it guys! :D

Right, tried out 142, doesnt solve the flickering issue with Dark Forces. I suspect Dark Forces has some sort of sync problem. Gonna ignore it for now. And lets say I have a Frameister, so Im not terribly concerned about 240p support with this capture card. Is there any other reason I shouldnt use the latest 160 drivers? I dont have the 100 percent CPU bug when its installed which is a bonus.
FlareRDB

Post by FlareRDB »

Has anyone tried out the brand new driver? It looks like startech pushed a new one. https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/ ... EXHDCAP60L

I know .165 had some issues, but now there's 1.1.0.167
NightSprinter

Post by NightSprinter »

I tried it, avoid it like the plague still. Stay on the 140 or 142 drivers. I tried contacting Startech's support, and basically they said if analog RGB isn't suitable with the new drivers to just go back to 142.

It's sad, Yuan isn't even BOTHERING at all to fix the broken analog RGB support. I think this is why more expensive devices from companies like Magewell and Epiphan are being considered now.
donhonk

Post by donhonk »

Its a real shame, I'm considering a Magewell AIO next year. Anyone have experience?
FlareRDB

Post by FlareRDB »

NightSprinter wrote:I tried it, avoid it like the plague still. Stay on the 140 or 142 drivers. I tried contacting Startech's support, and basically they said if analog RGB isn't suitable with the new drivers to just go back to 142.

It's sad, Yuan isn't even BOTHERING at all to fix the broken analog RGB support. I think this is why more expensive devices from companies like Magewell and Epiphan are being considered now.
That really sucks, I was kind of hoping for a fix with the whole SD content being captured in rec709 instead of rec601.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

So I just got a PEXHDCAP and I love it. Using the 108 Micomsoft driver, and there is a noticable increase in image sharpness over the latest driver from both Micomsoft and Startech. The deinterlacing is alot better in the 108 driver too.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Ok I have a big issue with this card when using my Gamecube. Connected via RGB, No matter what settings I use I get horrible jumpy image with distortion at the top.

Also AmarecTV won't seem to deinterlace it into 60fps