DVDO iScan Products, how do they compare to each other?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
panzeroceania

DVDO iScan Products, how do they compare to each other?

Post by panzeroceania »

How doe the different DVDO iScan products compare to each other? like the iScan VP20, VP30, VP50, Duo, etc.

is the Duo the best? are there features from certain ones that later models don't have?
Fudoh

Re: DVDO iScan Products, how do they compare to each other?

Post by Fudoh »

is the Duo the best? are there features from certain ones that later models don't have?
the VP50Pro is the most sophisticated processor DVDO/ABT produced. It's a pure FPGA design with highly user-configurable controls (like customs output resolutions etc). It also got a HD-SDI upgrade board. The Edge and Duo are cheaper ASIC-based processors based on the 50pro. They are downgraded in some aspects (like disabled edge and detail enhancement controls in gamemode). The Duo has got a CMS which none of the other DVDO processors have.

The VP20 and VP30 are redesigned iScan HD+ models. The VP20 misses the analogue VGA connections (input and output). The VP20 and VP30 could be upgraded using a ABT102 module which included newer deinterlacing techniques along with two gamemodes. The iScan HD, HD+, 20, 30 accept 240p on all inputs but don't treat it as 240p. The VP50 does not accept 240p at all. The 50Pro, the Edge and the Duo accept 240p and treat it as such.

From a video gaming standpoint the Edge and Duo are the same, but both don't offer VGA output to feed a SLG3000. While the 50pro would be an obvious choice, I know quite some gamers which are happy with a ABT102-equipped VP30.
brumma

Post by brumma »

How can you tell whether a PS2 game is output at 240p or 480i? I am looking at purchasing a VP50 (not pro) just for playing PS2 games through my HDTV (model is an LG 47LG70). It has a VGA, HDMI, and composite inputs. From what I can find, internal resolution is 1920x1080. I would like to de-interlace as well as scale the image. Would the VP50 suit my purposes? If so, can I expect to have a better image than my TV's internal scaler? I have also considered the VP30 + ABT102, but the ABT card seems impossible to find here in the States...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The PS2 isn't a good benmark. From *MY* experience the VP50 does not handle any 240p input (except from the PS2). A stated before, 240p support was dropped by mistake when ABT went from the VP20/30 to the 50/50Pro. Unfortunately the VP50 wasn't supported anymore, when I worked with Dale Adams at ABT to fix this problem. The 240p fix was made available for the 50Pro and the Edge.

Now recently I talked to somebody who claimed the VP50 accepts 240p WITH CLEAN SYNC. There's no reason to doubt this, but I can't confirm it either as I don't have a 50 non-pro anymore. The VP50 also has got a problem with 480p and 720p where it applies a ~46ms lag although it doesn't do processing on those signals.

So, unless the VP50 is very cheap and you're willing to work around the issues (e.g. using a sync cleaner for anything else than a PS2), I would buy a DVDO Edge instead. 2nd hand prices are around $350 and except for a VGA output you're missing nothing from the VP50.

And to answer your first question: there are only very few PS2 titles to output 240p. Some of the later Sega Ages titles, DDP DOJ and ESPGaluda in tate mode and Ico come to mind.
brumma

Post by brumma »

Thanks, Fudoh. I would only be using it for the PS2--don't need it for anything else shooter-wise as I've got an Egret II for that. From what you say, it would seem that I am OK in this instance. To be honest, $350 is a bit more than I'd like to spend for a scaler in this case since it would only be used for that single purpose, so that sort of rules out the Edge. I may be able to get a VP20 cheaply as well. Would this coupled with an ABT 102 (if I can find one cheap) be as good as the VP50 non-pro? Sorry for so many questions... I've read your article, but am confusing myself by trying to interpolate for my own needs. :roll:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you get a VP50 for considerably less than $350, then go ahead. It's a nice piece of equipment. To reduce lag on 480p signals you use PREP (reinterlacing + gamemode deinterlacing). The VGA output of the VP50 also allows to use a SLG3000 for scanlines at some point.

The VP20+ABT102 is identical to the VP50 in SD processing. The VP50 is better at 1080i input handling though (e.g. sports HDTV).
brumma

Post by brumma »

Thanks very much!
OmegaKoopa

Post by OmegaKoopa »

Hello, I'm curious to know if if the Iscan HD does indeed accept a replacement remote from any of the other DVDO's such as the VP20/VP30/VP50 series etc.. And I'm curious to know, can anyone confirm this? Also can it take any replacement power supply that's 7V/6V?
flip

Post by flip »

Hi to everyone and Fudoh in particular,

I got a VP-30 a week ago and finally put together a quick Scart breakout cable to test it, using my not so great monitor. I checked several sources and all of them worked except for the Gamecube, Super Famicom and (Japanese) Mega Drive. All consoles are connected to a Hama Scart switchbox and the switchbox connects to the VP-30 via the breakout cable. I'm using the official Nintendo RGB-cable on both the Gamecube and the Super Famicom, which works perfectly on my old CRT TV. Picture was extremely dark with the Gamecube and non-existent with the Sufami through the VP-30, so I guess this is about the capacitors in the cable which need to be taken out? Not sure what it is with the Mega Drive, Sync issue maybe?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The switch box can alter the cable impendance, so it's possible that a system works without the switch box, but not with it.

Depending on the monitor you use, before altering any cable, try the same system with the output refresh rate unlocked (OUTPUT > FRAMERATE > 60HZ - 60HZ - switch from locked to unlocked).
flip

Post by flip »

OK thanks, I'll try that once I've made a better cable and post the result here. I hope I can still use the switch box. Seven consoles and one DVD player all via RGB Scart make for way too much manual switching without such handy devices. :?
flip

Post by flip »

Okay, I just tested again using a better cable. I switched the Output from 60Hz locked to unlocked before testing anything. There you go, Mega Drive is working! It has the jailbars problem but I've already read about this somewhere, should be no problem to fix. With the Super Famicom the screen went on for about three or four seconds with a drone rising in volume and then the picture was gone :shock: Gamecube still has a very dark picture. Also my MVS via self-built Supergun has too bright colours and the picture is a bit wavy. I'm guessing this is because it lacks resistors on the RGB outputs, but maybe this is better explored in the Supergun thread.
Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

Mr. Fudes! Don't forget the Vehda ISIS SU20, it works great and with the ABT-102 too! :D
--
Blog: Pink Bullets / YouTube: StuffiWrote / VGMdb: Pyongyang

Image Image