PSone mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
captain ahar

PSone mod

Post by captain ahar »

wondering about the relative difficulty i would have installing the Stealth chip on my PSone. i should point out the extent of my experience modding consoles is limited to the time i turned my ds into a gba by stepping on it and shattering the top screen.

note: i have an asian ps2 so the capability for import play is already mine, but between Gradius Gaidens forest level (should i ever see it *haha*) and the difficulty of running Toaplan Shooting Battle (which is looking very appealing at this point) i am wondering about my other options. also i have had the thing posted for sale forever, and i figure that this will be a good selling point if i decide to try selling it again later.

any information/links will be greatly appreciated.

edited: cause i found my use of smilies irritating...
I have no sig whatsoever.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Relative to what? If you know your way around a soldering iron, it's not difficult at all. Just be careful, be patient, and keep a steady hand. There's maybe one "difficult" joint when installing the Stealth Elite w/ 6-wires on the PSone. Also, getting a pre-wired chip helps if you're less confident in your skills (or just don't want to muck around with that part).

However, if you think a soldering iron is a fun tool to melt stuff with, you might want to get a bit of practice or tutoring before attempting it ;) For that matter, I'd recommend you already have experience with taking the system apart and rebuilding it, and being comfortable with doing so.

Here's modchip.ca's install diagram page for the PSone:

http://www.modchip.ca/install/ps/101/101.php
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Greetings again, Cap'n. :) It's hard to say how anyone would do installing a modchip, but if you don't have much experience soldering, I'd recommend practicing on some old junk electronics first. ** Use a nice fine tipped 15 watt soldering iron, 30g single strand Kynar wire (sold at Radio Shack as 30g wire wrap, for wire wrapping tools), some nice 60/40 fine rosin core solder (doesn't have to be rosin core, but it works well. don't use acid core) flux paste (not necessary, but will give you better connections), a toothpick (to apply the flux to your joints), and some nice sticky electrical tape for insulation. You probably won't need it, but a desoldering braid wouldn't hurt either. With those tools, you're prepared for war. :) Now, as far as the actual chip goes: if you have one of the older gray model Playstations, the best chip by far is the 7 wire stealth. People use the 8 wire, but 7 wire's best. If you have one of the newer small PSone models: you have sort of a compromise here. Assuming you have a U.S. or a Japanese model PSone, you'll find that the "Onechip" for the PSone is not compatible with your system. These only work on PAL systems, but they're stealth, and play imports. Now for the compromise (this may be different, as I've been somewhat absent in the PSX modding community for a while o_0) IF you have a U.S. PSone, and want to play imports, and backups...your main option for the time being (as far as a chip goes) is to install the 7 wire stealth chip, but in 4 wire non-stealth mode. This will allow you to play imports, and backups...but it won't be stealth, so certain games will lock. I know of a way around this, and can PM you with further details if you choose to go this route. It involves an extra modification. Hope this helps a little. ;)