Attn: matt, DVD player hacking question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
iatneH

Attn: matt, DVD player hacking question

Post by iatneH »

Hey, I have a dead DVD player (Electrohome EH8158), one of those dealies with S-video, composite, and component output. I took out the motherboard to have a look, and I'm wondering if it's possible to convert it into a RGB->composite/S-video convertor to use in a supergun. I presume there's a single stream of data contained on DVD discs so there must be some kind of converting circuitry somewhere on the mobo for all of the different kinds of output.

Just wanted to know if you've tried anything like that or if it's possible in general.

Thanks!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I know you didn't ask for another person's opinion, iatneH, but here I go...

IIRC, DVD's are encoded in component, rather than RGB. Only 1 Samsung DVD player, and the PS2 (when modded or hax0red) can output DVD video in RGB.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

No worries Specineff, any information is appreciated. :)

It was just a thought since I might be building a supergun for a coworker's buddy and wanted to try to save some money, although I know the JROK is a surefire way to go.

I looked at the old Playstation motherboard too, and I guess investigating possibilities with using console mobo's is out of the question too.

edit: this has been nagging at me a while, too, but the Idiot's Guide to the Supergun mentions some Playstation 2 DVD recording cable, I wonder where the Hell matt manages to find these things :p
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

Specineff wrote:I know you didn't ask for another person's opinion, iatneH, but here I go...

IIRC, DVD's are encoded in component, rather than RGB. Only 1 Samsung DVD player, and the PS2 (when modded or hax0red) can output DVD video in RGB.
Only 1 Samsung DVD player and all 3253253264 DVD players sold in Europe...
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Well, yeah. That too. Heh heh. :)

I didn't know that RGB was available in Europe. With the bitching that Hollywood usually rises, I was thinking you'd be stuck with component or composite.

So, to clarify: Only 1 Samsung DVD player in the US market had RGB.
matt

Post by matt »

I don't know if American DVD players use an RGB converter circuit. Seeing how most are cheap and mass-produced, they probably don't.

But you can try opening it up and checking to see if there's any relevant circuitry in there.
kemical

Post by kemical »

might want to try getting a cheap version 3?? genesis for a few bucks, the small tiny ones.. i successfully fed an rgb signal into the sony ic on there and had it outputting composite while the genesis was on without a cart in, i think it also does s-video too but you may need to add some resistors.

was actually going to try turning it into a supergun style thing, since the case is a nice size for plugging right onto a jamma board, and using the genesis controller ports for custom controllers and then using the pre-existing genesis AV connection. Also tried powering a pcboard from the genesis but that didn't work out too well (gives the right voltages, but not enough to power a jamma board from what i remember):D
matt

Post by matt »

kemical wrote:might want to try getting a cheap version 3?? genesis for a few bucks, the small tiny ones.. i successfully fed an rgb signal into the sony ic on there and had it outputting composite while the genesis was on without a cart in, i think it also does s-video too but you may need to add some resistors.
All of the Genesis systems' video encoders do an excellent job of converting arcade RGB to composite. You can get S-Video from some of the later-issue Gen2s, but these are pretty scarce and there's usually no way to tell without first opening the system up. Gen3s are probably the best for this, but destroying such a cute little machine for its parts is almost as bad as killing a puppy.
Also tried powering a pcboard from the genesis but that didn't work out too well (gives the right voltages, but not enough to power a jamma board from what i remember):D
You are out of your mind!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

!!! WOW !!!

THAT is some gold information there! I never knew that, thanks so much guys!

Do you guys have any schematic I could use though?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Awesome, I opened up my uber-modded Genesis 2 and found a Samsung KA2195D IC and also found a spec sheet online, this will really cut down on RGB encoder costs!

Will probably buy another one this weekend :D
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Hey, Antipasta, I am curious regarding PAL (being 50 Hz). Do DVD releases get optimized over there, or do you still have to put up with the same crap when it came to bad Euro game releases? (Speed and the dreaded bars on top and bottom)

Or is PAL 60 the magic cure for those woes?
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

Hmm, I'm not sure, I'm more of an LD whore and all my discs are US NTSC. However, I think PAL60 is used mostly. Nearly every TV that does SCART RGB can also do 60hz in color.
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
undamned

Post by undamned »

AntiPasta wrote:I'm more of an LD whore...
What player do you use? I scored a CLD-R7G, about a year ago. It's purty ;)
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love