New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bencao74

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by bencao74 »

stuntman wrote::idea: bencao74, as you're also selling the CGA2VGA as part of a complete solution, how about offering a case for that too, in the same 2 acryl layers style? Having all 3 devices in similar style cases would truly complete the chain.
:) okay, can someone send me a scan of the scaler gbs 8220 pcb top?
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Almighty wrote:I will post some pictures (SFC, Megadrive) when i received my sync strike with the slg-3000+CGA/VGA :)
Thanks, appreciate that!
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

Received my Sync Strike today to test out. Worked flawlessly :)

So far I've tried it with the following consoles, all working with power via Scart or PSU.

Sega
Master System 1 - 50/60hz modded
Saturn - Japanese but 50/60hz modded
Dreamcast - 60hz
Mega Drive 1 with SMS Power Base Converter - 50/60hz modded
Mega Drive 2 - 60hz

Nintendo
Super Famicom - 50/60hz modded
N64 - NTSC RGB modded

Sony
PSone (small model) - chipped, tried both PAL and NTSC games
PS2 (original big model) - chipped, tried both PAL and NTSC PS1 and PS2 games

PCengine - NTSC RGB modded
XBOX 1 - PAL and NTSC video modes
Consolised MVS

The only problem console I had is my early model Mega Drive 1, this has Sync issues on everything I try it on apart from my CRT telly (I can just about get it to work on my LCD after messing around internally with the Csync signal). Weirdly enough, works fine with a power base converter plugged. Would like to try the MD with a 32x attached and a MegaCD.

UPDATE, I think my scaler was the problem with the MD1, having removed and tidied up the LM1881 that I had hard wired to it the MD now works perfectly with both my sync cleaner and also with the Sync Strike (after I removed my own lm1881 mod again lol!)

I haven't been able to test the phono out sockets, but can confirm that sound and video both worked fine from the screw terminals :-)

Simply brilliant!

Pete
Last edited by hellbelly on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Nice indepth testing! :D

I have continued to throw things at the Sync Strike and it certainly works for everything I have tried.

Any chance you could try the MD with composite video out. I would try mine but it's mullered at the moment (MD that is). Would be interesting to see if the SS has a positive effect on that configuration (there's always hope! lol).

The only problem I have found so far is when sending the signal to the DVDO EDGE.... you get a very slight sync wobble (regardless of the sync type). This is not apparant using a syncblaster cable. It's no big deal though in reality, as it's only slight.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

bencao74 wrote::) okay, can someone send me a scan of the scaler gbs 8220 pcb top?
My scanner's not working. Photo any use?
http://i54.tinypic.com/16ldzzn.jpg
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

@pete : thanks for this review :) really good choice on equipment under test

@stuntman : thanks for the pic!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Great thread. I am completely lost though.

I have a SLG3000 and a XRGB2. I have a few HDTV's in the house and 3 arcade cabinets. What I want to know is how does this Sync Strike benefit me? I don't have a clue. I have all the RGB consoles apart from the SNES I think.

To be honest I am not even sure I know what the aim of this device is.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

To be honest I am not even sure I know what the aim of this device is.
most videogame systems output RGB by using composite video for sync. Some scaling devices and/or monitors on the other hand require pure (raw) sync instead. The sync strike cleans the sync signal, by taking RGB+composite video and delivering RGB + pure sync on the output.

On your setup you don't benefit from the sync strike.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Based on what you have said.....

Your real benefit from the source and targets you have, is that you could now connect your retro consoles (assuming they are SCART RGB enabled) direct to your arcade monitor (assuming it is 15khz compatible) for the ultimate in retro video CRT action! 8) :mrgreen:
fagin

Post by fagin »

Fudoh wrote:
On your setup you don't benefit from the sync strike.
How come.... wouldn't direct connect from console to an arcade monitor be superior than using a XRGB2? ;)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

At the moment I have 2 astro cities and a chinese knock off cab which all do 15khz. I thought Viletims adapter did all that perfectly (which I have). Although I must admit I used it on my AWSD 31khz set up which I don't own anymore. It sounds like this device is for cabinets which have DB15 inputs. Which mine does not have.

So your saying if I use Viletims adapter on my astro city I will not get a picture? Thats silly considering its what its designed for.
fagin

Post by fagin »

neorichieb1971 wrote:So your saying if I use Viletims adapter on my astro city I will not get a picture? Thats silly considering its what its designed for.
Where did I say that! :D lol

You never said you owned another adapter in your previous thread. ;) I haven't quite mastered the art of knowing what I haven't been told. :mrgreen: :oops:

I have no experience of Viletim's adapter so can't comment.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

lol. I thought this unit was doing something no other thing does. Thats all.

It sounds like this Sync strike is ideal for people with 31khz arcade monitors connected directly to the console itself.

So I know that unless I buy an arcade monitor expecting a raw HSync signal instead of a Csync one, I don't need this device.

I would assume viletims adapter does similar things. His just does it through the jamma harness of the cabinet. Which in your setup is not part of the deal.

So if you have a jamma harness you can go one way, if you don't, you can go this way. Thats how I read it now.

For the record I own -

XRGB2
Viletims Jamma Adapter
HDpro

I think thats it.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Sort of.... the Sync Strike is ideal for people that have a tri-sync monitor (for example) and want to direct connect to the DSUB15 connector on that tri-sync (aka Naomi cab), but for a 15khz image from a SCART RGB source that uses composite video as the sync method. It has more uses outside of that, especially for connection to a scaler with a DSUB15 input (i.e. CGA2VGA scaler).
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

This is odd.

@fagin - MD RGB lead is a custom one with a switch to go between composite vid and composite sync. I tried both yesterday but had no luck. But today, I tried my MD again, and it's working fine - rock steady image.

I think this is caused by me removing the LM1881 setup that I had hardwired to my VGA scaler, then re-attaching it. Maybe I had a bit of a dry joint on my previous soldering job. Anyway. Original post altered to say that MD is working now :)

Pete
fagin

Post by fagin »

hellbelly wrote:This is odd.

@fagin - MD RGB lead is a custom one with a switch to go between composite vid and composite sync. I tried both yesterday but had no luck. But today, I tried my MD again, and it's working fine - rock steady image.

I think this is caused by me removing the LM1881 setup that I had hardwired to my VGA scaler, then re-attaching it. Maybe I had a bit of a dry joint on my previous soldering job. Anyway. Original post altered to say that MD is working now :)

Pete
I was half hoping this would work!! 8)

Obviously you are utilising the composite video feed to the Sync Strike then!?

BTW....
I found my LM1881 conversion to my header (and powered from the scaler) stopped the DSUB15 input from working correctly with the Sync Strike. I disconnected the header and it was fine.
hyperneophyt3

Post by hyperneophyt3 »

how does this hold up for connecting NES composite video to an HD set?
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

@fagin, MD works fine now with either c vid, or c sync, going through the sync strike (also works if I then enable my onboard lm1881 mod soldered directly to underside of board). like i said - very odd! In fact I daisy chained a third lm1881 into the equation to see what would happen (I've got a short scart extension lead wired up with a lm1881 circuit in it), and it continued to work fine heheh.

@hyperneophyt3 - it doesn't. All this kit relies on an RGB input, so the NES would need substantial modding to get an RGB output from it. probably easier to find a clone with RGB out (or at least one that's easier to mod for RGB).

One advantage a device like the XRGB has is that it can do composite video (and s-vid) as inputs (at least the xrgb-2 can after checking the manual, can't comment on others).

Pete
fagin

Post by fagin »

I can confirm that a RGB modded TG16 works with a 100% stable sync, via the Sync Strike, in to a DVDO EDGE (RGBs Input). 8)

This has been one of the problem consoles for the EDGE at the very least.

This device rocks (the Syncblaster cable fails on this scenario). :mrgreen:
Capoz

Post by Capoz »

can anyone try it with a neogeo aes and xrgb3 B1 scanline, please?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Information and review video for the Sync Strike --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X2Gszx0 ... ideo_title
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

When will the case be ready?? Would like to buy all at once
dlc28

Post by dlc28 »

I'll second that.

I was looking into buying the scaler pcb board but was put off by the lack of rgb scart inpit and a no case for it.

If a case can be produced for both parts then I'll place an order.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I can use this to get pure sync without modding my consoles?
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

i received it today (Nancy, France), but i only checked my mailbox when i was going at work, so lots of testing on my PVM tonight ^__^. I hope the PS2 and games like Dragon Blaze are ok with the extron 580xi....and will give it a try with my Xbox (1) and the emus available.

Thanks a lot bencao74, its a very well build PCB. Cant wait for the case

Just one question for the experts, how can i take good pictures of my screen ?
fagin

Post by fagin »

SGGG2,
Yes.

Sparda,
Capture card is the best way. :)
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

I didnt get any signal with the 360 and Xbox(1)...Sync Strike is set on C Sync..it seems i dont have enough power coming out from my RGB cable

But with PS2, Dragon Blaze looks so good now :D

Can i use one of my cellphone "psu", it provides 5V 300mA ?

Edit:Now 360 and Xbox(1) are working with external psu (thanks to an old cellphone psu :p)...do you think i need to check my cables ?

On the Extron DDSP must be on ?

Pin 8 provide the needed power am i right ? On Xbox scart, I tested pin 8 and i measure 11.2V and on pin 16 3.3V (the same for 360)...but like i said, i dont have any signal :(

Edit 2: I tried with another Xbox(1) rgb cable (it was somewhere in my stuff...finally i found it ^^), and now its working...so i guess the 360 rgb cable is "faulty" too. I dont understand why, but on both pin 8/16, now im finding 5V ..and the 2 pins are linked with a resistor...So according to tims diagram...its not correct...but im getting a picture now o_O
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

if you need to get pure sync from composite sync, would a simple jrok sync cleaner do the same thing?
=/
fagin

Post by fagin »

Sparda,
Do you get the LED on with the suspect leads?
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

jo, 300 mA is absolutley enough. My calculations gives me about 50mA max. according datasheets.

I`m waiting everday since one week for the case plexi. The design was sent last week to my supplier.