New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by fagin »

Overkill wrote:
Not true!

I have no issues with 60hz consoles, the Sync Strike and connection to the DVDO EDGE.
Maybe you have original 60hz consoles, or a good mod, my consoles are all european PAL 50hz and have been home moded to output 60hz and the true is that they don't work on my dvdo edge in 60hz mode, with or without a sync strike. I connected them directly to dvdo edge and no image (dvdo edge says unsuported signal), i change to 50hz and voilá, image comes to life.

Actually there is no problem for me as i connect all my scart consoles first to a Xrgb3 and then to my dvdo edge
Whilst I can't account for your modification methods, I can account for the fact that the above combination will work on a PAL console that has been modded to output 60hz. Like my PS2. ;)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

But there's still two of us with same setups and same results. Maybe some DVDO Edge units don't handle well 60hz consoles in the RGBHV Input. Some years ago when i bought the Edge i used a scart to YePbr converter and the result was the same, no image in 60hz, all fine in 50hz.

Talking about the Sync Strike himself i'm very happy with it in generaly. All consoles work fine, except for the Euro PAL sega saturn that still have some kind of interference, waving image. But the flickering and flash images that happen before when connecting it directly to my xrgb or my dvdo edge are gone
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by Shou »

I just received the Sync Strike but it's not working for me.

My setup:
retro console > JP to EU SCART converter (same one as the person earlier mentioned0 > Sync Strike > CGA2VGA Scaler > SLG3000

When the Sync Strike is set to SCART power, the LED does not come on whatsoever. When I set it to external PSU, it lights up brightly when there is a valid input but I am getting no image whatsoever. On the Scaler, I have tried pressing the SW, menu and holding the dowon buttons with no success. I do get the LED lit up on the Scaler which is powered by a USB 5V cable to my PC which does output enough power. The SLG3000 has a very faint LED lighting up on it.

The RGB cables are all good as they work on my existing XRGB2 setup.
become history
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

USB gives only 500mA at max under specific circumstances (USB Protocol). Use for the scaler at least 1A PSU. Second use same PSU for sync strike.

BTW: I`ve now put fitting 5V, 1A PSUs to my page.
Shou

Post by Shou »

bencao74 wrote:USB gives only 500mA at max under specific circumstances (USB Protocol). Use for the scaler at least 1A PSU. Second use same PSU for sync strike.

BTW: I`ve now put fitting 5V, 1A PSUs to my page.
Ah, I switched to a PSU that is 1.5mA but still acts the same.

Is there a reason why the Sync Strike LED only comes on when I switch to external PSU when I am not using a PSU on it?

What does the SLG3000 LED indicate?
become history
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

The notice of power via PSU or Scart on Sync Strike PCB matches to soldier points and not to the switch position ;) So from a switch position view it`s changed. Just try to connect a external PSU and do not connect SCART. Then switch to see what happens.

1.5mA is far to less, use bigger than 1A PSUs. Use the same PSU for Sync Strike and for scaler.

SLG3000 LED indicates power via VGA. SLG3000 needs no external power source.
Shou

Post by Shou »

bencao74 wrote:The notice of power via PSU or Scart on Sync Strike PCB matches to soldier points and not to the switch position ;) So from a switch position view it`s changed. Just try to connect a external PSU and do not connect SCART. Then switch to see what happens.

1.5mA is far to less, use bigger than 1A PSUs. Use the same PSU for Sync Strike and for scaler.

SLG3000 LED indicates power via VGA. SLG3000 needs no external power source.
Sorry, that was a typo :) The PSU outputs 1.5A.

Use the same PSU meaning I need 2 seperate PSUs?
become history
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Ah, sorry.

No

Your PSU ---> Sync Strike (via Screw Terminals 5V and GND)
|------------> Scaler PCB
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

soooo I`ve made some little helpers for my DIY Scaler PCB Chain

After not finding any good male to male changer I did some for myself.

Top View. Jep, fits exactly :)

Bottom view

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9sUrRlq-3fc/T ... G_1326.JPG

from the top left to bottom right
- External PSU for Sync Strike and Scaler PCB. I`ve experienced that 5V, 1A works fine.
- Male to Male Changer
- Scaler PCB
- SLG 3000
- Sync Strike

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d3jKZ4KjEh8/T ... G_1348.JPG

put the stuff together, PSU connected to both, Sync Strike and Scaler

just used the PS2 as input and a normal 19" LCD. Works fine :)

Added the male to male changer to my shop.
http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteuro ... ucts_id=36 and as a option for the DIY scaler kit.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

bencao74 wrote:soooo I`ve made some little helpers for my DIY Scaler PCB Chain

After not finding any good male to male changer I did some for myself.
10€ ?!

Those common gender changer will works ?

Zapf

Post by Zapf »

wouldnt it make more sense to have them at right angles, for compactness
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

10 € for two pcs, makes 5 for one. Since I`m not producing them in quantities of 10K plus I`m selling them with no win. Sure, take the ones in the picture. Only issue on that ones is that they`re changed.

edit: just saw it in my shop and corrected it.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

So far I've got mixed results with the Sync Strike...

Wii 576i (50Hz) and 240p (50Hz?) are working, 480i (60Hz) is just giving me a "No Signal" error in the scaler. Which is somewhat weird, cause i thought that 480i would work and 576i might cause problems, and now it's the other way around. There are also some white pixels for a single frame on black surfaces.

Gamecube (576i 50Hz and 480i 60Hz) is pretty weird. I can see the GC logo, but as soon as there's a certain amount of red in the picture it will switch to "No Signal". The picture quality while it shows something (which is maybe 20% of the time) is also mixed (changes from good to horrible). I suspect/hope it's just my old RGB cable which is causing troubles here.

I don't have my SNES (pal modded to 50/60Hz) here atm, but I hope that it'll work...

-- Edit --
480i on the Wii is working now, sort of. Looks like the Sync Strike isn't at fault, but the cga2vga scaler is playing stupid. If i set my Wii to 480i it will just display "No Signal", but if i press the auto config button while the Wii is on the System Menu, it brings on the picture (slightly shifted, but same quality as other sources). If i do that i can also start 480i games (tested with Chrono Trigger), but pushing auto config in a game doesn't work (stays/goes back to "No Signal").
Shou

Post by Shou »

Trying this again:

retro console -> JP SCART to EU SCART converter -> Sync Strike + 5v PSU -> Scaler + 5v PSU -> slg3000 -> HDTV via VGA

Scaler keeps resetting itself, occasionally the picture appears but without sync and then resets. My VGA to component transcoder didn't like this setup at all and would not display anything (I'm assuming due to the Scaler changing resolution to 1024 everytime it resets.)

Source console does not matter as I've tried all of them and I've tripled checked the wiring on the SCART converter.

Help please!

Video of the problem
http://youtu.be/QvFRVXcITRc

These are the settings of the Sync Strike
on CSYNC

on PSU setting (I think since it's labelled opposite?)
become history
fagin

Post by fagin »

What PSU's are you using?

If your scaler is "resetting" I would suggest the problem lies in that area.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Here's the weird thing about the syncstrike not working properly for me. Again, the picture is incredibly dark with SNES, NES (RGB modded) and Genesis.

The weird thing is I ordered one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190518023898?ss ... 1439.l2649

and I got the same exact problem! Incredibly dark picture. This is being hooked up to a DVDO Edge...perhaps my DVDO Edge is defective? I refuse to believe two similar but different products could give me the same issue. I'm thinking the DVDO Edge must be to blame?

I asked the seller of the above item and he said the following:

"If the only problem is it's very dark then it could be double terminated. It has an output impedance of 75 ohms and is designed to be terminated at 75 ohms at the receiver. "

I'm not sure what any of that means? Perhaps it pertains to my problem with the SyncStrike as well (I'm assuming it does).
fagin

Post by fagin »

The common demominator is the EDGE surely. I would suggest that is at fault.
Shou

Post by Shou »

fagin wrote:What PSU's are you using?

I'm using the PSU bencao supplies with the Sync Strike. For the Scaler, I'm using a 5v PSU from my external HDD. I'll try something different just in case that's the issue.

When I say reset, in the video, you can see that the Scaler is rebooting. It actually looks like it is power cycling since the board LED goes off and then back on. This only happens when I have the Sync Strike hooked up. If nothing is plugged into the input, the Scaler acts normally.
become history
fagin

Post by fagin »

Shou wrote:

I'm using the PSU bencao supplies with the Sync Strike. For the Scaler, I'm using a 5v PSU from my external HDD. I'll try something different just in case that's the issue.

When I say reset, in the video, you can see that the Scaler is rebooting. It actually looks like it is power cycling since the board LED goes off and then back on. This only happens when I have the Sync Strike hooked up. If nothing is plugged into the input, the Scaler acts normally.
Either scaler is fubar'd or the PSU for the scaler hasn't enough guts imo.

PSU for scaler must be around 2amps @ 5v.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

Is there a recommended US ac adapter/psu for the scaler and sync strike?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Current draw required for the Sync Strike is minimal. Anything that I have thrown at it with 5v's - 12v's has worked. IIRC .5 amp will be ample.

Scaler requires at least 5v's (I think it can take upto 12v) but needs a minimum of 1.5amps, ideally 2amps.
Whitesnake

Post by Whitesnake »

Hi folks,

I thought I'd post some of my initial experiences with the SyncStrike and GBS-8220 as I've had mixed results.

PlayStation 2 works perfectly as does The Sega Nomad.
However when I use the video through the Sega 32x it doesn't sync correctly and I'm not sure why.
I wondered if it has something to do with the strange way the Sega 32x overlays video on the Mega Drive.

Here is a video clip of the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UlplCbN_o8

I also have two Mega Drive models both Model 1, "The High Definition Graphics" Model doesn't supply 5V to the SyncStrike and the other one does supply 5V but has that shimmering issue that people have talked about.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On the MD/GEN/32X you actually don't need the Sync Strike. You have have to mod your cable to use the proper sync line from the output and a put a capacitor in line. You can still use the sync strike after doing this and it might solve your problem as well.
Whitesnake

Post by Whitesnake »

Fudoh wrote:On the MD/GEN/32X you actually don't need the Sync Strike. You have have to mod your cable to use the proper sync line from the output and a put a capacitor in line. You can still use the sync strike after doing this and it might solve your problem as well.
Bummer I was hoping to avoid that. The current RGB Scart I'm using has no wire for the C-Sync so there is no way of altering it. :cry:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The current RGB Scart I'm using has no wire for the C-Sync so there is no way of altering it
doesn't make much sense. All you have to do and change a single pin on the Din8 end of the cable. Currently the "sync line" is connected to the composite video output and you just have to change it over to the real sync pin and a capacitor. For space reasons it makes sense to add the capacitor on the Scart end of the cable. It's really easy.
Whitesnake

Post by Whitesnake »

The DIN end is sealed and the last time I cut open one of these connectors it was packed by a resin too.
So it really isn't an option.

I thought the SyncStrike would supply a clean sync signal anyway? regardless of it being c-sync or composite sync

Would powering the SyncStrike externally make any difference?
Last edited by Whitesnake on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Whitesnake wrote:I thought the SyncStrike would supply a clean sync signal anyway? regardless of it being c-sync or composite sync

Would powering the SyncStrike externally make any difference?
Yes to the first.
Who knows to the second - try it.
Whitesnake

Post by Whitesnake »

I tried powering the SyncStrike externally and I get the same results unfortunately :(

I did try both Mega Drives (including the one that doesn't supply 5v) on external power and they worked fine and they both use composite sync

I also tried switching between 50hz/60hz on my modded Mega Drive, interestingly you get shimmering at 50hz but not 60hz.

Just out of curiosity has anyone else used a Sega 32X with the SyncStrike :?:
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

just some infos for connecting SNES to upscaler gbs8220 via Sync Strike since some SNES PAL user had issues for some reason.

First of all, thanks to Florian who sents me his whole SNES equipment for testing. I`ve put up the chain and got the message "No Signal" error. Fudoh pointed me to high signal level coming from SNES RGB Scart. So I focused on the SNES RGB cable.

II made a attentuation circuit with 220 ohm and put it into the RGB Cable, where it should placed imho.

SNES setup with Sync Strike, Scaler and modded RGB cable.

close up of modded RGB cable with attentuation.

works ;)

50 Hz with scanlines

60 Hz with scanlines

I`ve included here my settings. The scaler tend to quit work if the picture is not centred. So relax, take your time and configure your scaler properly for your LCD.

DIY scaler kit

http://bencao74.blogspot.com/2011/10/sc ... scart.html
Shou

Post by Shou »

fagin wrote:
Shou wrote:

PSU for scaler must be around 2amps @ 5v.
That was it. I ran the power directly from the Sync Strike's PSU to the Scaler and it works perfectly now. So far, I'd say the picture is better than what I get with the XRGB-2plus!

In the little time I had tried the following and worked:
AV Famicom (modded for RGB)
Super Famicom
Nintendo 64 (modded for RGB)

a few PCBs:
Indiana Jones
Rolling Thunder

Speed Racer wouldn't sync but I didn't play with it.
become history