New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mikro

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by mikro »

Hello everyone,

my first post here. :)

I have two questions regarding H-Sync and the Sync Strike:

1. The German version of the product page (http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strik ... e::15.html) says that the C-Sync signal can be used also as H-Sync. However its English version (http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strik ... anguage=en) doesn't mention anything like that. So is it possible to get H-Sync from it or not?

2. While not strictly related to the Sync Strike, I'm puzzled by one thing: SCART2VGA is, obviously, meant as a device to connect SCART to monitors with VGA input (albeit 15 kHz but that's not important now). VGA has, among others, clearly separated V-Sync and H-Sync signals. So how on earth is possible that this device explicitly avoids separating those signals: This adapter does not convert RGBs [CSync from SCART] to RGBHV [RGB + H + V], it simply passes through RGBs to the VGA connector. [...] Please ensure that your device/monitor accepts RGBs before purchasing! Huh? What kind of VGA monitor it is then? I'd imagine that this device simply HAS TO do it otherwise its purpose would be really hard to image?
NewSchoolBoxer

Post by NewSchoolBoxer »

mikro wrote:Hello everyone,

my first post here. :)

I have two questions regarding H-Sync and the Sync Strike:

1. The German version of the product page (http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strik ... e::15.html) says that the C-Sync signal can be used also as H-Sync. However its English version (http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strik ... anguage=en) doesn't mention anything like that. So is it possible to get H-Sync from it or not?

2. While not strictly related to the Sync Strike, I'm puzzled by one thing: SCART2VGA is, obviously, meant as a device to connect SCART to monitors with VGA input (albeit 15 kHz but that's not important now). VGA has, among others, clearly separated V-Sync and H-Sync signals. So how on earth is possible that this device explicitly avoids separating those signals: This adapter does not convert RGBs [CSync from SCART] to RGBHV [RGB + H + V], it simply passes through RGBs to the VGA connector. [...] Please ensure that your device/monitor accepts RGBs before purchasing! Huh? What kind of VGA monitor it is then? I'd imagine that this device simply HAS TO do it otherwise its purpose would be really hard to image?
Sup, welcome. Sync Strike was revolutionary 10 years ago. Today, several other products do the same thing and cost much, much less. 30,95 EUR from the most expensive part being the LM1881 chip that costs 3,24 EUR if you don't buy in bulk. Every sync stripper using LM1881 does the exact same thing, just varying over what RGB format is on the input and output and if the sync is kept at TTL level (~3V) or a resistor drops that to 75 ohm level (~300 mV).

Check LM1881 out:

LM1881 takes Composite video or Luma or CSYNC at 75 ohm level, at pin 2, and outputs CSYNC at TTL level on pin 1 and Vertical Sync on pin 3. Pin 8 is the power supply and you have no need for pins 5 and 7. CSYNC is in actuality the horizontal and vertical sync information on the same pin. We call it S in RGBS.

The Sync Strike description is confusing. Computers that need separate H and V Sync are happy to accept CSYNC instead of H Sync since the horizontal sync information is still there.

1. CSYNC can be used as H Sync 99% of the time. I would say 100% but maybe someone can cite an exception.

2. SCART2VGA is the same thing using the same LM1881 chip. The description is stupid and is what is confusing you. It may not take pin 3 output's Vertical Sync and send it to VGA's pin 14. I think it does, it's just trying to make sure someone buys it and doesn't expect interlaced video to get transformed into progressive video. RGB video pins are passed through unaltered.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

NewSchoolBoxer wrote: 1. CSYNC can be used as H Sync 99% of the time. I would say 100% but maybe someone can cite an exception.
People have variously reported issues with connecting certain systems to certain PVMs over the years, and CSYNC in place of HSYNC has been cited as the reason. It's enough of an outlier that one can generally consider it a non issue.

Orange808 would probably remember if there was a show-stopper instance of it.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

does anyone know if the sync strike passes power through to the VGA connector on pin 9?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

maxtherabbit wrote:does anyone know if the sync strike passes power through to the VGA connector on pin 9?
I'll be back at my place tomorrow and can take a look at it, but I seem to remember that you can hook up power to it if you want to. I think it's controller by one of those jumpers in the center of the board

But yeah, I can check continuity for you tomorrow evening if no one else answers by then
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

vol.2 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:does anyone know if the sync strike passes power through to the VGA connector on pin 9?
I'll be back at my place tomorrow and can take a look at it, but I seem to remember that you can hook up power to it if you want to. I think it's controller by one of those jumpers in the center of the board

But yeah, I can check continuity for you tomorrow evening if no one else answers by then
Awesome thanks!

I know it has the switch to allow it to draw its power from SCART pin 8, but no information is available regarding whether it passes anything out to VGA pin 9
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
vol.2 wrote:

Awesome thanks!

I know it has the switch to allow it to draw its power from SCART pin 8, but no information is available regarding whether it passes anything out to VGA pin 9

So, it doesn't pass to pin 9, and none of the jumpers are connected to pin 9. However, it's a board-level device, and it would be trivial to bodge a wire between the output of the PSU/SCART power switch and get your 5V. It would only take one wire, and it would be an extremely convenient straight run.

maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting - can you just confirm for me they didn't ground pin 9? I have seen some really old designs ground the pin and then when you try to bodge +5 to it blammo
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

maxtherabbit wrote:can you just confirm for me they didn't ground pin 9? I have seen some really old designs ground the pin and then when you try to bodge +5 to it blammo
Pin 9 is not grounded. It must just be NC.

For reference, every other pin in the middle row shows continuity to ground except pin 9.

To test, I stuck a pin into 9 and I dragged it across every single contact on the whole board and nothing beeped except the hole that the connector pin 9 is soldered into. I also tested against the shield grounds and no beeps. I tested the other grounds on the VGA connector against the board and got beeps where I expected them.

However, just my 2 cents, you're experienced enough to just build something like this on your own I think, and you might want to check their Facebook page before you consider buying anything because I think that's the only place they offer any service in the English language (sort of). Also not sure how active they are anymore in general?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

vol.2 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:can you just confirm for me they didn't ground pin 9? I have seen some really old designs ground the pin and then when you try to bodge +5 to it blammo
Pin 9 is not grounded. It must just be NC.

For reference, every other pin in the middle row shows continuity to ground except pin 9.

To test, I stuck a pin into 9 and I dragged it across every single contact on the whole board and nothing beeped except the hole that the connector pin 9 is soldered into. I also tested against the shield grounds and no beeps. I tested the other grounds on the VGA connector against the board and got beeps where I expected them.

However, just my 2 cents, you're experienced enough to just build something like this on your own I think, and you might want to check their Facebook page before you consider buying anything because I think that's the only place they offer any service in the English language (sort of). Also not sure how active they are anymore in general?
I appreciate you checking it out - it's not for me I have extron stuff for sync stripping. Someone who purchased one of my inline LPF units wanted to chain it with his sync strike.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

maxtherabbit wrote: I appreciate you checking it out - it's not for me I have extron stuff for sync stripping. Someone who purchased one of my inline LPF units wanted to chain it with his sync strike.
Aha! Yeah, it's absolutely no problem.
Overheat

Post by Overheat »

Hi all - I didn’t get any replies on the other thread, so thought I’d try here:

I finally managed to get the capture working by rolling back my drivers to 1.1.0.140, however, now I have a new issue - i'm getting really bad banding on the output - you can see an example here: https://youtu.be/MQmMe08B870

It seems to be related to phase as when I adjust this, the lines move left to right, also, they move when I change the power source on hte Sync Strike from 5v to Scart, so must be something to do with the Sync Strike itself. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or do I need to use something other than the sync strike to convert RGB Scart to VGA to avoid this?

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Paul.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Overheat wrote:do I need to use something other than the sync strike to convert RGB Scart to VGA to avoid this?
Yes. The LM1881 on the sync strike outputs composite sync over the H sync line on the VGA output. If you need real H sync, you are using the wrong device.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I’d perhaps try running the output of your Sync Strike through an Extron RGB 109xi, it will likely alleviate your capture issues