Swap Magic 3 Plus - What? No instruction manual?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Blade

Swap Magic 3 Plus - What? No instruction manual?

Post by Blade »

Okay, now I'm worried, I payed $30 for this thing and here's what it says:

Excellent Compatibility - I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have this.

Can Launch Program from Memory Card - What the? For Real? Somebody explain this...

Can launch program from USB Devices - Huh? So does it work on my PC? What the Fug?

Cheap and Efficiency - The Engrish here is somewhat worrysome to me.

No Warranty Void - Well, that and I don't wanna damage the hardware because y'know....I SUCK AT WORKING WITH CIRCUITRY... :?

Supports CD-R & DVD-R - 2 Things:

1) Does a Blue-backed Disc mean it's DVD and Mirror back a CD?

2) Someone explain to me why I would need to burn CD Backups (I'm no Pirate I buy my PS2 games legally) and do I need a DVD Burner for such things, or will a CD-Burner do the job...assuming I would even bother to make backups?

Lastly: Somebody please pat me on the back and say 'Welcome to the world of importing! You made the semi-right choice (at least) in choosing Swap Magic 3 Plus and you're on your way to glorious import gaming.' So that I can at least have confidence that I'm not Fugging my System in the Arse. *Sweatdrops*
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
BulletMagnet

Re: Swap Magic 3 Plus - What? No instruction manual?

Post by BulletMagnet »

Blade wrote:1) Does a Blue-backed Disc mean it's DVD and Mirror back a CD?
I think it's the other way around; blue discs are "CD" and silver ones are "DVD," IIRC.
iatneH

Re: Swap Magic 3 Plus - What? No instruction manual?

Post by iatneH »

Blade wrote:Can Launch Program from Memory Card - What the? For Real? Somebody explain this...
There are homebrew programs for PS2, and storing them on a memory card is an alternative to burning them on a CD or DVD.
Blade wrote:Can launch program from USB Devices - Huh? So does it work on my PC? What the Fug?
Same as above.
Blade wrote:Someone explain to me why I would need to burn CD Backups (I'm no Pirate I buy my PS2 games legally) and do I need a DVD Burner for such things, or will a CD-Burner do the job...assuming I would even bother to make backups?
Maybe you'll be interested in some larger homebrew programs that can't be bought, you can burn them on a CD.
A DVD burner can make both DVD-R and CD-R backups. A CD burner can only make CD-R backups.
Blade wrote:Somebody please pat me on the back and say 'Welcome to the world of importing! You made the semi-right choice (at least) in choosing Swap Magic 3 Plus and you're on your way to glorious import gaming.' So that I can at least have confidence that I'm not Fugging my System in the Arse. *Sweatdrops*
Welcome :)
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Here's the deal.

This feature is for v12 (slimline) ps2 machines, whio canot use the exploit.

And swap magic WILL void your warranty, because to use it you must modify the case so you can open it without the machine noticing. It's not liek the ps where you cna jus usse a spring.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Good news!

I figured out how to use the Slide Tool...

Why they call it a Slide Tool instead of a Slide Key is beyond me, since nobody, not even the Instruction Manual actually explains it in that light of it's true function....that of locking and unlocking the Disc Tray into place.

I test-swapped a few games, still no imports as of yet, I'm waiting for Berserk and Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 soon....

And yes, yes, I'll get Dodonpachi: Dai Ou Jou, ESPGaluda, Psyvariar, and the like... :roll:

Thanks guys...and although I have yet to get a DVD Burner (I will at some point, but not necessarily for PS2 Backups), I'd like to know more about these so-called Memory Card Programs and Homebrew PS2 games...anyone have any links?

By the way, my PS2 is a Refurbished Fatty SCPH-5000 series, so no worries about having to get a Flip-top or whatever.

I just wish PS3 would dispense with the whole "OMG Region Rules" thing...
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
SpiffyShoes

Post by SpiffyShoes »

Can Launch Program from Memory Card - What the? For Real? Somebody explain this...
Swap Magic doesn't run games from the memory card it just allows you to install them to the memory card. Once they are installed they run on their own, haveing nothing to do with swap magic.

The Program that most people want to use off of their memory card is HDLoader. HDLoader is a program that allows you to install and run your playstation2 games off of a Hard Drive. Once you have it installed you no longer have to fumble through your disks to choose which game you want to play. Just turn your playstation on and select the game from a simple menu. Also running games off of a Hard Drive Greatly reduces Loading Times. You need to have an official Sony Brand Network adapter in order to install a Hard Drive into your PS2. Most PC IDE Hard Drives work fine. Maxtor Brand drives usually fit best.

You can find most of the PS2 Home Brew Aplications from www.exploitstation.com.

For a list of what games are compatible with HDLoader check out www.ps2hd.com

In order to install programs onto your Memory Card you will need an original PSOne game disk (any will work even the demo disks that used to come is PSM) and you will need to make a installer CD to install the programs to your Memory Card.

One of the best programs to use for creating your installer CD is Indipendence Compiler 3.0

Useing the Independece Compiler

Step 1:
Insert your PSone game into your computer cd/dvd drive and then select [Get] and then [Add].

Step 2:
Recomended to just stick with the LaunchElf as your boot program.

Step 3:
Select any other programs you wish to install. And add them to the list.

Leave all the rest of the settings on their default selection and then click [Start].

You should now have a .cue and .bin file in C:/AUSDIGITAL/

Use which ever burning software you like for burning the files to a CD. Alcohol 120% or DVDDecrypter are the programs I'd recomend useing to burn your disc.

Now boot your PS2 with Swap Magic like normal and swap in the installer Cd you just burned. Run the Cd and press X. Wait a few seconds for every thing to get installed and then hit the power switch on the back of your playstation2. Now Turn your PS2 back on and insert your PSOne game. Wait a few seconds and it should boot up to LaunchElf. Then select the program you want to run off of your memory card and you should be good to go. The programs are generally installed to the SYSTEMDATA folder on the Memory Card.
GIANT SQUID

Post by GIANT SQUID »

i am also looking into getting some ps2 import shooters, can some one explain how the swap magic works? i have an older ps2. does the new swap magic play all ps2 games? dvd and regular blue? can this method of playing imports damage the ps2 with extended use?

if someone could just list the steps for using it that would be great.. thanks.

GS!