Arcade Monitor Question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vek

Arcade Monitor Question

Post by vek »

I saw this cabinet here:

http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/m ... _3519.html

The description says it has a 15khz monitor. Are there any particular games/types of board this won't work with? Or if anyone knows of some sort of compatibility list, that'd be great :)
raiden

Post by raiden »

Sega Model 2 and Model 3 games won´t work with it. But have you looked at shipping costs? For that price, I could get a Naomi or Sega Blast City cab locally.
vek

Post by vek »

raiden wrote:Sega Model 2 and Model 3 games won´t work with it. But have you looked at shipping costs? For that price, I could get a Naomi or Sega Blast City cab locally.
cheers, having a quick look it seems a lot of model 2 and 3 games need dedicated cabs anyway, so i guess that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

regarding the shipping costs, you're right, but there's a group here in the uk who sometimes ship in big container orders of cabs from coinopexpress to keep shipping costs down low.

secondly, i'm trying to work out how feasible it would be for me to actually open an arcade when i finish uni and have paid off a few of my debts. in which case, i'd probably want a container full of cabs for myself.

the main thing, though, was finding out whether 15khz monitors would do what i want or not, since it'd be relevant wherever i bought them from.

no one is allowed to get their hopes up or anything though, because if i did do it, it wouldn't be for a while :)
raiden

Post by raiden »

well, in that case this cab should be fine for most games. 15khz is classic lores which most games, even modern ones, still work with. Naomi and a few others offer 31khz hires, but can still be played in lores. 24khz is a different case, that´s why I mentioned it. But, depending on the number of modern games you want to feature in your arcade, you might want to get 31khz capable monitors for them, as that looks better than what most people have at home. Well, in a few years time, HDTV will be more widespread, and maybe a new technology will come to arcades as well. I wouldn´t start planning an arcade business several years ahead, as the market can change quite a bit in the meantime.
vek

Post by vek »

raiden wrote:well, in that case this cab should be fine for most games. 15khz is classic lores which most games, even modern ones, still work with. Naomi and a few others offer 31khz hires, but can still be played in lores. 24khz is a different case, that´s why I mentioned it. But, depending on the number of modern games you want to feature in your arcade, you might want to get 31khz capable monitors for them, as that looks better than what most people have at home. Well, in a few years time, HDTV will be more widespread, and maybe a new technology will come to arcades as well. I wouldn´t start planning an arcade business several years ahead, as the market can change quite a bit in the meantime.
Cool, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. Hadn't really thought about HDTV and what that might bring, though, its a good point. I'm not planning too much at the moment for the reason you've mentioned. I'm not sure how long it'll take me to get the money together where I could seriously plan things out, for now I'm more considering various things to see if it's at all feasible. There aren't many arcades in the UK anymore, which I guess could be both a good or a bad sign :)

Anyway, even if I don't end up doing it, I'll still want a cab for myself at some point, so these things are worth knowing, I guess!

BTW one last question - are monitors generally backwards compatible? I dunno if that's the right term for the situation. But would a 31khz monitor support 24 and 15?

I know I've seen some which specifically say they support all three, just wondering if it's safe to assume a 31khz monitor would support the other modes, or if I have to go for ones which specifically say they do.

Thanks for the help!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

vek wrote: BTW one last question - are monitors generally backwards compatible? I dunno if that's the right term for the situation. But would a 31khz monitor support 24 and 15?

I know I've seen some which specifically say they support all three, just wondering if it's safe to assume a 31khz monitor would support the other modes, or if I have to go for ones which specifically say they do.
There are too many monitor types out there to make a general assumption like that. But most NEW monitor being made today for 31khz are usually "multisync". I just upgraded my 29" with a MultiSync Betson Imperial (which does all 3). Oh, also some monitors only switch resolutions via a plug on the PCB. But some of the newest ones (like the Betson) are more like a PC monitor and automatically switch resolutions on the fly.
japtor

Post by japtor »

can anyone vouch for the quality of the no name asian sit down cabs? ive only played on some sega and neogeo ones (my own astro city, and the some of the machines at arcade infinity), and i think 'crown' ones in korea. i hated the cabs in korea, but opinions can vary wildly (at least they seemed to have an affinity for psikyo and raiden games, was hoping to see some cave stuff but no luck there). just another thing to think about.

monitor wise, i wouldnt worry about it being 15khz, most games will work with them. and if you replace it, you can get a multisync monitor if that concerns you. but im not sure on the price, might be pretty pricey, more than the cab itself perhaps. someone else should cover the monitor price topic since i have no clue.
vek

Post by vek »

cheers everyone, i think that's all my questions answered for now :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

japtor wrote: monitor wise, i wouldnt worry about it being 15khz, most games will work with them. and if you replace it, you can get a multisync monitor if that concerns you. but im not sure on the price, might be pretty pricey, more than the cab itself perhaps. someone else should cover the monitor price topic since i have no clue.
Betson had a special on their 29" (although they list it as 27" viewable) multisync monitor for $399 (which is what I paid for mine a couple months ago). I think its normally $450-$475. By comparison, the Wells-Gardner D9200 is $495.