Help me with this monitor.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Specineff

Help me with this monitor.

Post by Specineff »

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/corpus/2/I/xmxp29+.pdf (REQUIRES ADOBE READER)

I'm thinking of purchasing one of these babies soon, after seeing the killer deal that SuperKillerXXX got a few weeks ago.

The question is, does anyone know if this will take VGA off my DC and PC? Do I need to make a special cable if so, or a simple male to male 15 pin, VGA-style cord will do? I was reading the pinouts, and it seems they are a bit differently placed from what I see on my DC VGA box or my computer. And more importantly, where can I find a remote for it?

Thanks to anyone for any help.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

I'm not sure...the RGB Input looks like a 15-pin D-Sub. Even if it did "work" you'd need to be outputting in 15khz, so if you bought an arcade video card, you'd have a really good MAME/emulation setup.

Errr.... looking on page 24... it's got the RGB pinout. VGA to RGB (if I understand properly) requires a little fidgeting. Matt can probbaly tell you exactly. For RGB console gaming, you could make a converter. Many consoles have 21-pin RGB cables. You'd need to make a 21-pin to 15-pin converte. Not hard if you have the time, but I find that particularly size of soldering to be a challenge w/ my nubs.

I'm not seeing anyting about 30khz modes, so you probably wouldn't want to do any "computing" on it. :)
japtor

Post by japtor »

I'm not seeing anyting about 30khz modes, so you probably wouldn't want to do any "computing" on it.
well theres this:
All of these following display standards are supported:
VGA 640 x 480 for graphics, VGA 640 x 400 for graphics, VGA 640 x 350 for graphics, VGA 720 x 400 for text, VGA 720 x 350 for text, SuperVGA 800 x 600, and XGA 1024 x 768, 1280x1024 standards above 60 Hz such as Sun, Silicon Graphics, HP, workstation standards; Macintosh at 640 x 480, 832 x 624, 1024 x 768, and 1152 x870(XP29 Plus only). computer's video port; use the larger 15-pin connector on the cable to connect to the monitor. For Macintosh, it's just the opposite. Use the larger 15-pin connector on the cable to connect to your computer's video port; use the smaller 15-pin connector on the cable to connect to the monitor. (You can also use your own video cable if you wish. For a PC cable, use the smaller 15-pin connector on the monitor. For a Macintosh cable, use the larger 15-pin connector on the monitor.)
and this:
Synchronization Range
Horizontal: XP29Plus; 15.7/31 KHz to 95 KH XM29Plus; 15.7/31 KHz to 65 KHz (Automatically)
Vertical:40 Hz to 120 Hz (Automatically)
does the 15khz there = low res? (if you ever get into arcade boards or something)
also a big table of resolutions and stuff starting on page 65 i think.

looks like dc vga should work, although im not sure whether or not you need to use their cable (looks like old apple rgb on one end to vga), or can just use a regular vga one. their instructions say to connect one end of their multicable thingy to your device, then the other to the monitor, whichever end you need to use works.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

So one of those VGA to 5 BNC cords will do it?
matt

Post by matt »

That monitor has 2 RGB inputs - a normal VGA-style 15-pin connector, and a 5-BNC setup. By the looks of things, you can use both at the same time - if you want to have 2 consoles (or a console and a PC) plugged in at once, just get a VGA cable and a VGA/5BNC cable.

By the looks of things, the monitor will take anything from 15khz (low rez like game consoels) up through 95khz (pretty darn high resolution!). So, you ought to be able to run just about any RGB-capable device. Never mind S-Video and all that jazz.

In short, it looks like a pretty darn good monitor.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Thanks for the info, Matt!

I was reading the pinouts on that monitor's manual for the small VGA input, and it seemed a bit different from what I found somewhere else. Meaning, the pins do not correspond to the location of the Red, green, blue, H and V pins on a regular VGA output terminal, but if it can take VGA through the BNC connectors, I'm happy.

Eh, what about Medium res? That way I might be able to purchase that Virtual On PCB from PCEFX and play it the way God intended.
japtor

Post by japtor »

i dont think i saw anything about medium res on there when i looked yesterday. iirc other than the 15khz, everything else was 640xwhatever and up. dont remember seeing 24khz either (or whatever medium res is).
matt

Post by matt »

Specineff wrote:I was reading the pinouts on that monitor's manual for the small VGA input, and it seemed a bit different from what I found somewhere else.
It looks like a normal VGA pinout to me. But, I think the pictures of the connectors in the manual are mixed up.
Eh, what about Medium res? That way I might be able to purchase that Virtual On PCB from PCEFX and play it the way God intended.
The manual does not explicitly say that it will work with 24 khz. However, since the thing will run at both 15 and 31khz, we can assume that it'd probably work.

No guarantee, though. But isn't trying new things part of what makes life worth living?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Fudge! I have been outbid.