saturn memory cards

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Diabollokus

saturn memory cards

Post by Diabollokus »

Weird thing this

Yeah the saturn peripherals are non region specific, however I got this japanese memory card and its clean oxide free good condition however it dosen't work.....

I've seen the exact same memory card packaged with metal slug for the saturn could I have been given the metal slug ram cart? as it dosen't register in my japanese saturn the memory slot does work though I've tested it with other cards.

Its a greyish/black dark card with a pink sticker.

Do those saturn game specific ram carts also double as normal game saving ram carts? if they do it means mine is a broken one.
Vidi Vici Veni
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

There are two types of RAM carts for the Saturn (well, two basic types... there were lots of variants): One is the save-game RAM cart and the other is used as system RAM. It sounds like the one you have is a system RAM cartridge; you cannot save games to it, but it can be used by certain games capable of loading extra data into the cart. There were actually both 1MB and 4MB carts like the one you have, and KOF'95 actually used a ROM cartridge, but that's another story...
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

You really shouldn't worry about having a memory "card" for your Saturn, because it has a built-in one! :wink:

Just make sure you leave the system on when you change the battery. It also sounds like you have an expansion cart, so have fun with those games that need it.
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

There's far from enough room on the built-in memory card! It's tiny. Sort of only there for games that use RAM expansion.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Hmmmm

Sounds interesting but the dam thing is I can't use it on any of my titles..... Maybe I should consider buying metal slug some time.

Fat cobra, you gotta be kidding about relying on the sega saturn built in card man its like 512 blocks! My shining force 3 saves alone are over 300 blks.
Vidi Vici Veni