Can you run a MODEL 2C CRX in 15khz mode?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
panzeroceania

Can you run a MODEL 2C CRX in 15khz mode?

Post by panzeroceania »

Hello chaps,

I recently got a Sega MODEL 2C CRX with Sega Water Ski on ebay and was trying to get it up and running.

It came with a Mainboard, Gameboard, Cage, Video Board, and a Happ power supply (I live in Oregon, USA, and most likely the person that used it before me used it in an arcade in the USA)

In any case I don't have any cabs but I did manage to get the power supply working with a 3 plug power cable I have, and also got 4 BNC connector cables for the video board.

Here is the problem. The board traditionally ran at 24khz, and all I have is a 15khz television.

Does anyone know if you can, and how to put the MODEL 2C CRX w/ Sega Water Ski into 15khz mode?

any information would be greatly appriciated.
Fudoh

Re: Can you run a MODEL 2C CRX in 15khz mode?

Post by Fudoh »

To my knowledge this can't be done.

You can look out for a Extron VSC 100 (earliest successor to the Emotia series). They will accept 24khz video and output 15khz via RGBs instead. The VSC units can sometimes be found for something like $40-50 on eBay.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Either pick up a dual sync RGB monitor or a tri-sync one (NEC XM-29), and you'll be able to play the Sega Model 2A, 2B and 2C hardware just fine in it's proper 24kHz mode. The original Sega Virtual On PCB runs on a Sega Model 2B board variant setup. It, too, only outputs in 24kHz format considering that it's a medium resolution game anyways. Does require a proper arcade Twin Sticks setup to play it though. Linked-up head-to-head gameplay is possible via old-school TOSlink cable setup in which you can select either VO PCB to be "master" or "slave" unit if so desired. Sound output is possible by utilizing a built-in subwoofer located right underneath the player's seat (on a full sized VO sitdown cab) + four external speaker setup for some really crazy BGM tunes & sound effects. It's really easy to kill the Sega Model 2's sound amp if the volume is cranked up too high...so don't do it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Emperor Udan

Post by Emperor Udan »

Bump of ten years for this topic. :D

I'm looking for the same installation, Sega Model2 24khz to standart television scart.
Informations about Extron VSC are not clear for me (as a noob), about how they deal with image quality or lag (which not seem to exist).

Years have passed, do you have more informations/alternative about this?
Sorry for my bad english, Frenchy here.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

A compatible Extron VSC is still the easiest and cheapest solution. You're looking at a frame of lag with these units.

For 240p (instead of 480i) you could upscale to 768p first, then resize and downscale, but I doubt that it would look any better with the orginal detail level being at 384p and you're looking at a lot of expensive hardware.
Emperor Udan

Post by Emperor Udan »

Thanks for infos.

Extron seems to be the solution for me.

All extron VSC model input are compatible this way:

Horizontal frequency: Autoscan 24 kHz to 70 kHz
Vertical frequency : Autoscan 50 Hz to 120 Hz
Resolution range: Autoscan 560 x 384 to 1280 x 1024

Sega Model2 seems to be:

Display resolution: 496×384 pixels, 24 Hz HSync, progressive scan (non-interlaced), double-buffering
Overscan resolution: 656×496

I read various posts on this board recommanding extron VSC for 24khz Sega Model2 to common CRT RGB TV 15khz, but strangely nobody seems to had confirm it actually works.
Can somebody confirm it really works?
And if it does, how are your feelings about the results?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I unfortunately don't have any native 24khz sources.

Why not just give it a try? Aren't the VSC units cheap enough to just get one to check it out?

I did once try the chain with a 31khz source scaled to 24khz using an UVC unit and then into an Extron VSC to output 15khz 480i. Looked alright, but it's hard to judge with the double conversion and without having a native 24khz source as a benchmark.
Emperor Udan

Post by Emperor Udan »

You are right about testing one, I just have to be patient as most of extron for sell on ebay are from USA, and shipping charges are about 70€ most of the time.
I'll try to get one from europe as soon as one appear on ebay, and let you know my results.

Thanks for your advice as always. :wink: