DVDO EDGE - How it performs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
orange808

Re: DVDO EDGE - How it performs

Post by orange808 »

kitty666cats wrote:I’ve been wanting a Darbeevision DVP-5000 / DVP-5000S for a while, jealous! The 5000S never goes up for sale on eBay, I only ever see the 5000 on there
Just be mindful of what you're getting. It does create artifacts and change the image. Home theatre fans don't like sharpening algorithms much. You can see the odd artifacts on test patterns very easily. Yet, perceptually, I still prefer the effect for a lot content with a projector. Even without the effects, it's oversharpened, but the large screen offsets that for me. I am not able to fully absorb the entire screen (in detail), so I only see detail where I am most focused. With large screens, I often have a mental (perceived and artificial) sense of ambient occlusion (parts of the screen "feel" out of focus when they really aren't, because I can't personally absorb the entire large screen in full detail). On a smaller and sharper OLED, I am less happy and it all looks too sharp. Obviously, I'm talking about "three dimensional" content. For 2d sprite games, the Darbee is hit and miss--although I still use it often.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

orange808 wrote:Not too much has changed behind the OSSC. There's not much happening with stand alone general purpose video processors these days. Streaming video over networking is all the rage now, video gear vendors aren't rolling anything interesting for us.
So basically you're saying everything AND the kitchen sink lol. Appreciate the break-down of all that you use - thanks!
strayan

Post by strayan »

I still use a DVDO VP30 with my plasma although it’s probably going to be retired when I eventually buy an OLED (which won’t be until they get much brighter).
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Recently I fired up my VP50 Pro to re-scale Virtua Racing on the Switch so that I could stretch it across an ultra wide monitor, zooming/cropping and fitting player 1 and player 2's screens in perfectly next to each other :)

I also occasionally use it to scale the output from the GBA consoliser onto a 4:3 CRT. Other than that it doesn't get much use now especially with the RetroTINK 5x around.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page