got my NEO GEO today!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mirkvid

got my NEO GEO today!

Post by mirkvid »

finally! I've wanted one of these things since they first came out!
for anyone who doesnt have one, here's my impressions:

this thing is LIGHT! for being such a big system, it only weighs about 2.5 pounds or so. it feels very sturdy, and the controllers seem like they can take quite a beating!

the controller is AWSOME! the joystick is very accurate and i've been pulling off moves in samurai shodown 2 that i had a hard time with in the arcades with ease. the button layout is nice, but its hard to play on a single row of buttons after playing on SF2 style sticks for so long.

now i just have to rob a few banks to beef up my game collection!
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

What type?
The Captain.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

From the robbing a few banks and the size/features, sounds like the Home System.

I got a 1-slot MVS type C recently, now THAT's freaking tiny and light. I was surprised..! Then again, my custom sticks are about 30 inches wide and it weighs several pounds...

Games are cheap for MVS too, no bank heists needed to build a collection.
PC Engine Fan X!

It's best go with original MV-1 mobo which outputs stereo...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

iatneH wrote:From the robbing a few banks and the size/features, sounds like the Home System.

I got a 1-slot MVS type C recently, now THAT's freaking tiny and light. I was surprised..! Then again, my custom sticks are about 30 inches wide and it weighs several pounds...

Games are cheap for MVS too, no bank heists needed to build a collection.
I used to own an Neo-Geo MV-FZ1 compact PCB but it only output in "mono" when playing the MVS carts. I checked on web and learned that the original "big PCB version" that is the Neo-Geo MV-1 single-slot PCB does have stereo headphone output along with stereo speaker pinouts to wire directly to a pair speakers. I currently have a pair of 100watt Sony bookshelf speakers hooked up to my MV-1 mobo setup. It outputs some cool BGM tunes and in true stereo...no "mono" sound shit here!

I've noticed that the MV-1 uses a special backup battery which is a big Saft Sealed Ni-Cad battery rated at 3.6volts 50mAH (which is different than the current smaller & more compact MVS mobos available which uses a 3volt CR-2032 coin-type battery as the "back-up" battery instead).

I like how one can use Neo-Geo AES game controllers on a MV-1 mobo...very cool but really not necessary feature...but it's there for completeness. ^_~

PC engine Fan X! ^_~
MKL

Re: It's best go with original MV-1 mobo which outputs stere

Post by MKL »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I like how one can use Neo-Geo AES game controllers on a MV-1 mobo...very cool but really not necessary feature...but it's there for completeness. ^_~
It's there because the Mahjong controls can't be wired to the Jamma connector as it does not have enough input pins.