Arcade joysticks.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

Arcade joysticks.

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I took apart one of my LS32's (not the ones I got from oxstu) today because going left gets stuck sometimes. I noticed all the parts are seperate, is there any reason why i shouldnt just buy seperate microswitches with the long gate?

surely thats all you need to do with a faulty LS32. So I possibly bought 2 whole joysticks for no reason :roll:

I am worried because if its not the microswitch its a deeper problem. Seems to happen on two different PCB's (the only ones I tried). However Galaga88 is just left/right. I don't suppose having it 8 way makes any difference on 2 way or 4 way games does it?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
PC Engine Fan X!

It's okay to use 8-way joystick on 2 or 4-way joystick setup

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I took apart one of my LS32's (not the ones I got from oxstu) today because going left gets stuck sometimes. I noticed all the parts are seperate, is there any reason why i shouldnt just buy seperate microswitches with the long gate?

surely thats all you need to do with a faulty LS32. So I possibly bought 2 whole joysticks for no reason :roll:

I am worried because if its not the microswitch its a deeper problem. Seems to happen on two different PCB's (the only ones I tried). However Galaga88 is just left/right. I don't suppose having it 8 way makes any difference on 2 way or 4 way games does it?
Yo neorichieb1971,

IIRC, the Namco Galaplus (or aka Galaga 3 in some places) used an 8-way joystick for movement of your ship + any captured enemies for cool additional firepower.

I've used an 8-way joystick setup for playing Atari Games puzzlers like: Klax and Off The Wall Jamma compatible PCBs (even though the original Klax arcade upright used a true 4-way joystick {-- meaning up, down, left & right joystick movements} and the original Off The Wall arcade upright used spinner knob controllers to move the paddles back & forth with true analog speed movement as well, OtW does have built-in joystick support too if analog spinner knob controllers can't be used or found).

The real reason why the Atari Games Klax PCB doesn't have any BGM tunes: there was no more memory allocation for any music as it's all dedicated towards the Klax gaming engine and the 100 different Wave variation tasks that are required to complete them. And so the NES Tengen version of Klax remains to this day the only version that has cool BGM tunes to "jam to".

As it stands, Klax is easy to get started but is regarded as one of the hardest puzzler-type arcade games to master. Like on the very last wave which is Wave 100, the ultimate goal is to score 250,000 points using various multiple Klax tile formations to match or exceed the minimum 250,000 point critera demanded. Any ace Klax player knows that at least two "Big X" Klax tile formations will meet the 250,000 points needed to beat the last wave. It's the challenge of juggling all the tiles coming down the conveyor belt while at the same time you're trying to reduce the Klax Tile pit from filling up with the 25 tiles maximum restriction along with the up to 5 tile drop allowed -- fail to meet any of the above & it's game over really quick...it takes a cool mind to try to plan ahead and anticipate just what the Klax CPU will throw at you what colored Klax tiles to play with and play with those tiles accordingly to your best advantage points-wise.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Richie - While I've never personally had any Seimitsu or Sanwa stick fail on me (all bought new), I can say that there are other parts more prone to cause 'sticking' (spring bearing) and other problems like weak feeling (ex. worn spring). I think it's better to replace the whole thing if it's that far gone. Now the problem you are experience, is it physically sticking or is the signal just cutting out? If it's the latter, and everything else is performing good, then yes it would be better to replace just the micros at fault. Having the 4 or 8 way guide in place on a 2-way game will not cause any malfunction that I have heard (other than if you press in the directional -ex:right+up micros- by mistake, the signal may not register as pure left or right directional...means no signal in some cases).

To illustrate the components*:

A: Lever ball
B: Shaft
C: Bearing
D: Base
E: Microswitch
F: Micro tension plate
G: Spring bearing/S.P. pipe
H: Spring
I: Cap/P.S. pipe/Actuator
J: E ring/E clip
K: Main guide