240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Artemio

Re: 240p test suite for Dreamcast and Genesis

Post by Artemio »

Mhhh it certainly is a big deal in a way... Did you try just one version? If so, which one? I've only tried the Tototek cart so far, and I always test them on real hardware before up´loading to save the trouble for anyone testing it at home. Which Genesis/MD version are you using? Thanks for the info, hopefully we can get it to run... so far it has ran on my US an JP Genesis systems.
antron

Post by antron »

1.06, US Genesis.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Do you get a colored screen? Something peculiar?
antron

Post by antron »

it instantly kicks out to the flashcart menu.

let me play with it some more, maybe there are more options in the flashing program to make it work.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Just got on the mail my Everdrive carts for Genesis and SNES... Will test it on the Genesis one as well from now on of course, and will start playing with SNES development.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The 1.6 version does NOT work on my Everdrive cart. Finally got around to check out my recently acquired MD system before it goes away for modding. The Rom loads and works (as far as I can tell), but all the sprites and on-screen graphics are garbled.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Tonight I will check on the everdrive and make any necessary adjustments. Thanks for the info, it must be some dumb mistake on my part.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

EDIT: might also be my everdrive cart. I'm experiencing troubles with some other roms as well.... (sorry)
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Just tested version 1.0 to 1.06 from the site on my everdrive after formating my SD card first on the PC and then on the ED, they all worked. Sorry to hear there is something wrong with yours Fudoh... hopefully it can be fixed via the OS update. You could also try a different SD/MMC card.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I just ordered the EverDrive cartridge and will test the newest version when it arrives :)
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

New Dreamcast release 1.08:
Adjusts the PLUGE, Colorbars and Grayscale to real Dreamcast capabilities and colors, you can now be sure that these are the correct patterns suited for calibrating colors, black and white levels to a 16bit color source.

Added extra help text to some patterns, Reduced and optimized memory footprint by using the Dreamcast/KOS internal texture format. This also improves loading times.
Sorry for those who calibrated with the previous PLUGE, Colorbars or Greyscale.. this time around I did all my research to figure out exactly the values for each one of the pixels on those test patterns so they are actually 100% what I intended them to be, no loss due conversion (I have used lossless formats since the very beginning, but now it is all directly to video ram).

In case someone cares, here are the values for the Dreamcast "pure colors" palette:

Code: Select all

index   16b hex pcnt
0       0       0%
0       9       4%
1       11      7%
1       19      10%
2       21      13%
2       2A      17%
3       32      20%
3       3A      23%
4       42      26%
4       4B      30%
5       53      33%
5       5B      36%
6       63      39%
6       6B      42%
7       74      46%
7       7C      49%
8       84      52%
8       8C      55%
9       95      59%
9       9D      62%
A       A5      65%
A       AD      68%
B       B5      71%
B       BE      75%
C       C6      78%
C       CE      81%
D       D6      84%
D       DF      88%
E       E7      91%
E       EF      94%
F       F7      97%
F       FF      100%
As always downloads and source code at the code page, I'll update the wiki to reflect any changes ASAP.

http://code.google.com/p/240p-test-suite/downloads/list
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Got the Everdrive today and I can confirm that it works great with this program. Setup is MegaDrive 1 > XRGB-3 > SLG3000 > Gefen. All the colorbars and testpatterns look pretty nice as is. I don't have time right now for fine tuning but it's a lot better than Dreamcast.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Konsolkongen wrote:Got the Everdrive today and I can confirm that it works great with this program. Setup is MegaDrive 1 > XRGB-3 > SLG3000 > Gefen. All the colorbars and testpatterns look pretty nice as is. I don't have time right now for fine tuning but it's a lot better than Dreamcast.

Keep in mind that the color capabilities of the Genesis are inferior. The test suite shows the minimum and maximum values the console can do. For instance color on the Dreamcast is 1555 in 16 bit color. That is, 1 bit alpha, 5 bits red, 5 bits green and 5 bits blue. That means it has 32 (31 really) shades of each pure color (RGB). The Genesis can only do 8 pure shades, and this is extended by using the Highlights/Shadow mode of the VDP to 12. That means that the minimum black level it can display is higher than the one on the Dreamcast. The Genesis lowest values are at 6% (really 13% without shadows and highlights mode), while the Dreamcast one is at 4%.

This is also true for the highest range, however the Highlights mode doesn't give pure colors.. hence the difference between the absolute red (for example) at the right which is 100% and the next one, which is 85% is way bigger than the gradual 3% on the DC.

Calibrating with the Genesis would give optimal results for the Genesis indeed, you are guaranteed that all the range available on the games will be viewable. However, a finer calibration done with the Dreamcast version - for example - would work across more systems. Of course, the usual problems arise as with any video source.. levels might (and do) differ between them.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Would it be possible perhaps to somehow put the Genesis version onto a CD-R that could be booted on the Sega CD?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

BuckoA51 wrote:Would it be possible perhaps to somehow put the Genesis version onto a CD-R that could be booted on the Sega CD?
+1

My Genesis is a JVC X'Eye--this would let me use your test suite without having to buy a cart!
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I am looking into the Sega CD business, but it is not as simple. The Sega CD has very limited RAM, and although I recently optimized and reduced my binary to a size that fits into its RAM, the program apparently needs to change its memory map to run from the Sega CD. If I find a way of doing so, I will. No promises there...

In a way that's why I made the Dreamcast version, a working DC system is cheaper than a flashcart.. and the DC provides way better video output, more resolutions and more cable options. Besides, no modding is needed.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Update: Still working on that Sega CD version, it is loading now.. but it has Conflicts with the hardware. Will let you know if I make it run correctly and release it here. (At the very least I've learned a lopt about the Sega CD and assembly language =P)
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Sega and Mega CD versions now available, I just tested the US release on real hardware, and the JP and EU releases on emulators. It has teh same features as the Genesis version of course.

You can downlaod it at: http://code.google.com/p/240p-test-suite/downloads/list
BuckoA51

Re: 240p test suite for Dreamcast, Genesis and Sega CD

Post by BuckoA51 »

MegaCD version works a treat, thank you!

Just a little note, for anyone testing for the white screen XRGB3 failure, you may need to cycle the colours back around to white to trigger it. I hooked up my old composite video for sync MD cable and it triggered the problem, but only after changing away from pure white to the other colours and back again. Problem was cured when I went back to composite sync.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
antron

Post by antron »

I got the test-suite to work with the Neomyth 3in1 cart. I just had to set the save type to EEPROM. Otherwise it just kicked out.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Thanks for the info, I'll document that on the wiki.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Can you add a vertical scroll test as well? :)
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Sure, any background suggestions?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

A vertical scrolling MegaDrive shooter would probably be best?

I noticed when I have the AFC setting at 0 the picture would bend just a little bit at the top. So some vertical scrolling background with straight lines would be nice to determine if the picture bends or not.

Perhaps the first level of MUSHA Aleste? Although it is a bit boring :)

http://www.playright.dk/billeder.php?id=30467
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Talking about boring I implemented it with a white grid over black background =P You can however toggle Horizontal and vertical scroll, and control speed and direction. I did it this way as a place holder, but I might leave it and add the BG from Fireshark as well. I was working on the tiles form that one but it takes a bit of time since my graphic skills suck.

I will work on it some more for a further release, meanwhile here it is in case you can use it:

http://code.google.com/p/240p-test-suit ... 201.07.zip

Let me know what you think, I am planing on changing the scrolling to obey the d-pad...
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

That works very well. It would be nice if it could scroll slower though :)

I get a horrible high frequency noice when the MegaDrive is displaying this grid :/ The same thing happens in the linearity test. I wonder what that's all about :/

I wonder if I forgot to cut the audio between upamp chip and video encoder when I stereo modified the console? The video obviously has some effect on the sound...?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I can make it go slower, right now it is 1 pixel per frame. Will change that.

The noise you are getting is interference.. it could be the scart/rgb cable, or something else in the chain. One of my cables has it too.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

That's probably right. Have had this cable for a long time now :p
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

New Genesis and SegaCD version 1.07: http://code.google.com/p/240p-test-suite/downloads/list

It sdds Horizontal and Vertical Grid tests and fixes sound test with a full TFM track by Shiru. Fixed palette animation of water, fixed a small bug with bg display on striped sprite.

I wil still change it to reduce rom size later, since the tracks for sound test increased it by 128KB... it shouldn't be much trouble and still works on the sega cd, but would like to reduce ROM use to a bare minimum.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@Artemio: thanks for the latest update! Just tried the L/R test on my modded MD1 and it turns out to be wired the wrong way. Just to make sure, Artemio, you're sure about the L/R channel mapping in the latest test rom, yes ? Just asking, before I rewire the cable.

@Konsolkongen: The MD1's audio trace was cut the way you showed me. On my VA4 board this obviously results in the right channel running through the original OP amp, while the left one's routed to the new amp :)