240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TheShadowRunner

Re: 240p test suite for Dreamcast, Genesis and Sega CD

Post by TheShadowRunner »

I just tested 1.2 in more details.
Could you map "Home" function as the Start button on the classic controller?
This way everything could be done using CC alone ^^;
The new video modes name scheme is a lot more obvious now, thanks for changing it.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

TheShadowRunner wrote:I just tested 1.2 in more details.
Could you map "Home" function as the Start button on the classic controller?
This way everything could be done using CC alone ^^;
The new video modes name scheme is a lot more obvious now, thanks for changing it.
That is wierd, I mapped the HOME button of the CC to the HOME button, maybe your controller is different from the ones I have, I have these:

The naming thing is better now, thanks. It was always a pain in the back of my head anyway.
TheShadowRunner

Oh yes, I see what happened.
I use the official SuperFamicom VC controller.
On this one, Select is in fact Minus and Start is Plus, already mapped and used for certain tests in the suite.
There is no "Home" button on this controller XD
No worries, I'll keep using "Home" directly on the Wiimote.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I imagined that would be a possibility. I am adding an option to map "+" + "-" to HOME, that would probably cover all the scenarios, what do you think?

Edit:
I just tested it and it works fine. I could also map one of the triggers to HOME, since they are unused.
TheShadowRunner

Artemio wrote:I imagined that would be a possibility. I am adding an option to map "+" + "-" to HOME, that would probably cover all the scenarios, what do you think?
That sounds great to me!
I just tested it and it works fine. I could also map one of the triggers to HOME, since they are unused.
Yes, it would work as well, your call ;)
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

It is mapped to the R trigger in this nonpublic release (I just added the boot.dol): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 ... roller.zip

It will be the default for future ones. Changes just include handling reset, power and wiimote power buttons.
TheShadowRunner

Thanks for this new build.
For the SFC controller, I think it'd make more sense to have "Home" mapped to "Start" and Minus mapped to L / Plus mapped to R.
But indeed it is a special case that would apply only to this controller so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle ^^;
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

TheShadowRunner wrote:Thanks for this new build.
For the SFC controller, I think it'd make more sense to have "Home" mapped to "Start" and Minus mapped to L / Plus mapped to R.
But indeed it is a special case that would apply only to this controller so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle ^^;
I'd love to do just that, only if I could recognize when a SFC controller is plugged. But unfortunately, I can't. All classic controllers are recognized in the same way. And doing that, would imply having all classic controllers map HOME to +.

But here is what I have planned though. I can add an option to swap the mapping. I know it doesn't sound very conforting to have to enter options and set it every time. But here enters the other change I am working on, having the options saved to the SD card and that would solve every case I believe.

The option will swap the buttons as you propose.
TheShadowRunner

Artemio wrote:
TheShadowRunner wrote:Thanks for this new build.
I'd love to do just that, only if I could recognize when a SFC controller is plugged. But unfortunately, I can't. All classic controllers are recognized in the same way. And doing that, would imply having all classic controllers map HOME to +.

But here is what I have planned though. I can add an option to swap the mapping. I know it doesn't sound very conforting to have to enter options and set it every time. But here enters the other change I am working on, having the options saved to the SD card and that would solve every case I believe.

The option will swap the buttons as you propose.
It would indeed be the best solution, to remember the 480p ON/OFF, Wii Region ON/OFF and Controller mapping setting as well of course.
Looking forward to it ;)
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

- Release 1.3
- Updated help files, they are now complete for all patterns and tests
- Added Power, reset and Wiimote power callbacks
- Added option for remapping buttons in Classic Controllers without HOME button,
- Options are saved and loaded to and from SD card /sd/240pSuite/options.xml, this includes: 480p activation, display Wii region, scanline intensity, scanlines even or odd, and SFC Classic Controller mapping.

Releases and source code are at sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/testsu ... rce=navbar
TheShadowRunner

Artemio wrote:- Release 1.3
- Updated help files, they are now complete for all patterns and tests
- Added Power, reset and Wiimote power callbacks
- Added option for remapping buttons in Classic Controllers without HOME button,
- Options are saved and loaded to and from SD card /sd/240pSuite/options.xml, this includes: 480p activation, display Wii region, scanline intensity, scanlines even or odd, and SFC Classic Controller mapping.

Releases and source code are at sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/testsu ... rce=navbar
Another great release, thanks Artemio.
Glad to see an option specifically for the SFC controller in the settings. You really went the extra mile to provide complete support, very appreciated!
From my tests everything works fine including creation of the options.xml and the suite reading from / writing to it, all OK.
See you,

TSR
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I am glad it is working as expected. Since the request was useful, it made a lot of sense to add it.

Besides, you cared about improving it and having a better experience, I thank you for that, because that brings out a better solution for everyone. I try to do my best with these small programs, and I like when someone gets as involved as myself in improving them, I guess it is a trait of all of us who care about calibrating video for old consoles, we want a better experience out of our stuff.
TheShadowRunner

Artemio wrote:I am glad it is working as expected. Since the request was useful, it made a lot of sense to add it.

Besides, you cared about improving it and having a better experience, I thank you for that, because that brings out a better solution for everyone. I try to do my best with these small programs, and I like when someone gets as involved as myself in improving them, I guess it is a trait of all of us who care about calibrating video for old consoles, we want a better experience out of our stuff.
Indeed we do, every amateur should have your suite in their collection somewhere imho ;)
For a long time I've been wishing for a SNES version of the suite, quite a surprise the solution came via the Wii! (although their overscan ratio is quite different, so tweaking directly via the suite running on SNES would still be welcome! XD)
See you,

TSR
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I will do the snes version eventually, but the wii was low hanging fruit. I hacked my Wii lady Sunday, and learned the sdk deep enough for my needs, developed, and released in less than a week. It was a lot of fun.

I was also impressed by the low quality of the 480p output. It took me two days figuring out it wasn't my code that was wrong. It can't resolve the checkerboard while in 480p, but it can in 480i... unless the sdk is doing something low level I am not aware of yet.

I want to do the snes and Saturn versions, will check out both next week.
TheShadowRunner

Artemio wrote:I will do the snes version eventually, but the wii was low hanging fruit. I hacked my Wii lady Sunday, and learned the sdk deep enough for my needs, developed, and released in less than a week. It was a lot of fun.

I want to do the snes and Saturn versions.
Last sunday.. and you have it already running pretty much perfectly with all the bells and whistles, I say wow 8)
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I was surprised too, but you can see in the source it is very similar to the Dreamcast version.

In reality, I just had to reimplement the lowest layer. That is what took most of the time. With the "middleware" in place, everything was running up to some point. It was just tuning and details after that. I had little experience using GPUs, and it is surprisingly simple to switch the higher layer.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Gamecube versions wouldn't run for me using a GC (s-video->VP30). I get a black screen whenever I try to run it, the VP30 still shows the signal as being processed.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Thanks for the information regarding the gamecube version. I believe it wasn't stated here, I am sorry if it wasn't, but the gc version was untested. I am a compete noob in gc homebrew and don't have a gc that can run homebrew to test it in.

Which method are you using?

I did test it in the dolphin emulador though.
Lord of Pirates

Artemio wrote:Thanks for the information regarding the gamecube version. I believe it wasn't stated here, I am sorry if it wasn't, but the gc version was untested. I am a compete noob in gc homebrew and don't have a gc that can run homebrew to test it in.

I saw on the wiki that it was untested so I figured I'd give it a go. I was using the SD Media Launcher, trying to run it through Swiss gives me an error saying it's too big.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Thanks for the extra information Lord, ir is very strange since the dol isn't that big. Textures are uncompressed - that could be an issue - but the dol is much smaller than the ram. I couldn't find much documentation on limits imposed by the tools

I will try to get an AR and build an sd adapter myself, just checked and it is quite easy.

While I do, I'd like to test compressing the textures, but I'm on a trip. Would you be willing to test that during the weekend? I will remove the gc dols meanwhile. Thanks again

edit: just ordered one that will hopefully arrive before I do. Really curious about the 480p output difference.
Lord of Pirates

Artemio wrote:Thanks for the extra information Lord, ir is very strange since the dol isn't that big. Textures are uncompressed - that could be an issue - but the dol is much smaller than the ram. I couldn't find much documentation on limits imposed by the tools

I will try to get an AR and build an sd adapter myself, just checked and it is quite easy.

While I do, I'd like to test compressing the textures, but I'm on a trip. Would you be willing to test that during the weekend? I will remove the gc dols meanwhile. Thanks again

edit: just ordered one that will hopefully arrive before I do. Really curious about the 480p output difference.
Sure, as long as I don't need to compile anything.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

No worries, an executable will be provided, just as before. Thanks!
Bax

Post by Bax »

Artemio wrote:Thanks for the information regarding the gamecube version. I believe it wasn't stated here, I am sorry if it wasn't, but the gc version was untested. I am a compete noob in gc homebrew and don't have a gc that can run homebrew to test it in.

1.3 worked for me, only tried with SDLoad. NTSC GC with RGB modded component cable to a mini framemeister.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Bax wrote: 1.3 worked for me, only tried with SDLoad. NTSC GC with RGB modded component cable to a mini framemeister.
Thanks for the feedback, then it does work with SDLoad. I should restore the downloads then, and fix the GC help to reflect the button layout.

Out of curiosity, did you test 480p output? Did it show "component" or "composite".

The action replay I got won't work for me, I need a 1.14 version it seems. They aren't easy to come by.

I wonder why it didn't work for TPL before, but it seems it was a size issue. I sent him a version with compressed textures that don't work properly but are 1/8th smaller and he reports it worked. Could you describe your loading methods, type of sdcard? Maybe there are restrictions.
Lord of Pirates

Re: 240p test suite for Dreamcast, Wii, Sega Genesis and Seg

It might have been that I didn't wait long enough for it to start.

Edit: Confirmed it just now, 1.3 takes about 53 seconds to start vs 10 or so for the compressed version. Sorry about wasting your time on what turned out to be a lack of patience on my part :oops:.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Lord of Pirates wrote:It might have been that I didn't wait long enough for it to start.

Edit: Confirmed it just now, 1.3 takes about 53 seconds to start vs 10 or so for the compressed version. Sorry about wasting your time on what turned out to be a lack of patience on my part :oops:.
I see, that's good to hear. I would have to implement loss-less compression in some manner, so it is better to know it works fine as it is supposed to. Thanks for testing it out I will include the long loading time in the docs.

I guess neither of you can test 480p, I a, really curious about the results in the GC with the checkerboard, I bet it looks perfect as opposed to the Wii.

Will reupload the Gamecube version, I am working on modifying the help system for it so that the buttons are referenced correctly by name.
Bax

Post by Bax »

Artemio wrote:
Out of curiosity, did you test 480p output? Did it show "component" or "composite".

I guess neither of you can test 480p, I a, really curious about the results in the GC with the checkerboard, I bet it looks perfect as opposed to the Wii.
It says "component" and the checkerboard looked fine to me but i haven't tried the Wii yet to make a comparison.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Thanks Bax, good to know the gamecube can show the checkerboard. The wii can't, although it can show the horizontal stripes. If you try displaying the vertical stripes out the checkerboard it doesn't. At first I thought it es an issue in my code, until I checked 480i and both displayed correctly. This just confirms what we've known for a while, the wii's 480p looks "soft" because it's output is lower qualify than the gamecube's.

I still want to try this out myself, hope I can get a method working soon.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

New Gamecube version, release 1.4:

- It now loads much faster, since it uses the dollz3 compressor. (2 Mb instead of 8)
- Only shows video cable when Component is available
- Shows all helps and messages with correct Gamecube controller buttons. The Wii version (unreleased yet) does the same depending on the controller type used and SFC CC options.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/testsuite240p/files/?
Bax

Post by Bax »

Artemio wrote:Thanks Bax, good to know the gamecube can show the checkerboard. The wii can't, although it can show the horizontal stripes. If you try displaying the vertical stripes out the checkerboard it doesn't.
Actually I think I spoke too soon :( . I went through all modes & assets with checkerboard today on both the Wii with component and Gamecube with component and they look pretty close. Using 480p and 1:1 assets both show more of a gray blur, I'll see if I can take some pictures later if you want.