The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Mikey

Re: 240p test suite for Dreamcast, Genesis and Sega CD

Post by Mikey »

OK. I'll try.
panzeroceania

Post by panzeroceania »

any chance of a Sega Mark III/ Master System version?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Very slim chance, I don't know Z80 ASM at the moment...
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Just released a new version of the suite, for all three systems.

- Backlit zone test: I created this to test LED backlit TVs, but should be useful in any setup. It is simply a black background with a variable size sprite, which you can move around. On a full backlit LED display,you can easily spot the zones and how they work.. it also helps you see how your tv handles such situations.

- Fixes the Linearity pattern to account for NTSC's pixel aspect ratio. Should be perfectly circular when processed as an NTSC signal.

Versions are 1.09 for Genesis and Sega CD, and 1.12 for Dreamcast.

Documentation at:

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

Downloads at:

http://code.google.com/p/240p-test-suite/downloads/list
hijakt

Post by hijakt »

Hi, want to say great job with this.I just finished fixing up a candy cab, so this will come in handy down the track.I figured this is probably the best place to suggest/ ask.Would it be possible to make this disk asa boot disk, that forces the Dreamcast into a 240p resolution mode?With Street fighter 3rd strke on the Dreamcast you can hold L + Start at the Capcomlogo and the game will go into the arcade resolution, would it be possible to get the code that does this and put it into this application/ and or create a patcher for DC games that don't have this mode such as Super Street Fighter 2 X.Maybe it wouldb't work, perhaps it might.Anyway it's a suggestion and one that if it worked as intended would be fantastic.Since we can patch VGA modes into DC games and add 60hz options,perhaps we can get a Arcade perfect res boot disk.If I could code, I would do it myself.Love to hear what you think.Thanks.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

That is game dependant, since this is a stand alone application developed with KallostiOS on DC. In order to enable that, you need to rip the games, patch the images and play those patched images.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Quick suggestion, adding a controller test to both versions would be quite useful.

Has nobody ported this to the Amiga yet? I'd imagine a port would be easy for anyone with 68k programming skills (my skills stop at C, sadly :oops: )
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Will do, thanks for the suggestion =)

BTW, there was a new release of the Genesis version. It includes a frame counter useful for lag tests, specially with a Nomad since real lag can be measured with photographs. The Lag in my modded Nomad display is 1 frame.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I would need a 60fps camera for this correct? My camera only does 30fps unfortunately.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Yes, but you can use a photo camera set at 1/60th of a second.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You should go down as far as possible with the exposure time. If your digicam has a sports mode, that usually works great... The old stock Nomad display lags a little less (7.5-8ms). Just take a few dozen shots and average the differences you see.
gabe

Re: 240p test suite, homebrew release for testing equipment

Post by gabe »

First off, thanks for creating this tool. I've used the Dreamcast version in the past, and it was exactly what I needed.
Artemio wrote:I can probably do Saturn and PS1, will see if viable. The problem there is that you need a modded console, unlike with the DC.
Did anything ever come of the Saturn version? I would love to make a Saturn display some color bars, but I've been unable to find a way to accomplish this.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On the Saturn you can use the JVC Photo CD Card to display patterns created on the PC or you create all the patterns you like in Dezaemon2. The JVC card displays in interlaced hi-res. Dezaemon displays in low-res.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

gabe wrote:First off, thanks for creating this tool. I've used the Dreamcast version in the past, and it was exactly what I needed.
Artemio wrote:I can probably do Saturn and PS1, will see if viable. The problem there is that you need a modded console, unlike with the DC.
Did anything ever come of the Saturn version? I would love to make a Saturn display some color bars, but I've been unable to find a way to accomplish this.
Thanks, I am glad the DC version has been of use.

And no, I haven't done any progress on the Saturn version, I have yet to find my USB transfer hardware to make development easier than burning CDs. I have one, but am not sure where I placed it. I am sure to do some work in the future, but have not started as of now.

Fudoh's suggestion can help if you only need to do that, just kee in mind the Saturn's palette. The Dreamcast pattern available in my source coe can help you there.
gabe

Post by gabe »

Excellent. Thanks.
antime

Post by antime »

Artemio wrote:And no, I haven't done any progress on the Saturn version, I have yet to find my USB transfer hardware to make development easier than burning CDs. I have one, but am not sure where I placed it. I am sure to do some work in the future, but have not started as of now.
If you're still into the Saturn, you may want to check this out. Cafe-alpha over at SegaXtreme should still have a few assembled boards available for $42+postage.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

antime wrote: If you're still into the Saturn, you may want to check this out. Cafe-alpha over at SegaXtreme should still have a few assembled boards available for $42+postage.
Thanks a lot for the heads up. I love the Saturn and was a regular at SegaXtreme a decade ago... I don't know why I've gotten so distant with it, loved the community. I enjoy these kind of developments a lot.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Some updates to the suite.

Version 1.16 for Dreamcast is up now, along with 1.10 for Genesis/Sega CD. They mainly incorporate a 100 IRE test pattern. In teh Dreamcast version it can be set between 0 and 140 IRE in 10 IRE intervals.

It also includes support for a lag test using the Dreamcast microphone, the SIP. When connected, a new option appears in the menu and enables very accurate lag measurements via audio. However, this requires the Tv to lag the audio the same as the video to be precise. I still have to do some work in this feature since it only runs correctly when ran via serial cable or ethernet, for some reason it doesn't work when run form a CD.

It uses a Fast Fourier algorithm to determine how many frames the sound is recorded after playback.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Fourier algorithm
the term alone makes me shudder. Fourier transform was the single most disgusting thing I had to learn in university (and hey, I studied economics and law!).

PS: nice work, as usual !
Billkwando

Post by Billkwando »

I'm trying to run this on my US Sega CD (model 2 side loader w/ model 1 Genesis) and it just freezes at the Sega logo with Sonic. I've burned it at 1x 4x and 16x (the recommended speed for my discs) and it still doesn't work. Once it got past the Sega logo, but just went back to the CD dashboard.

I also cleaned my laser lens with alcohol, and it runs other games just fine.

I'm using an RGB cable & YUV to component box, and the headphone jack for audio, in case it matters.

Edit: Hi Fudoh! I'm trying to assess my picture situation with my current setup, while I wait for my iScan Pro and SLG HD= to show up! :D

Then I can do a before and after comparison....if I can ever get it to run, lol.
Last edited by Billkwando on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

I've not experienced or had a previous report with the Sega CD version before, I am sorry this happened.

Have you tried running your disc in an emulator, just to check the data in the disc is correct?

I use exactly the same kind of setup that you do for my tests. Have you tried running other burnt CDs on it?
Billkwando

Post by Billkwando »

Artemio wrote:I've not experienced or had a previous report with the Sega CD version before, I am sorry this happened.

Have you tried running your disc in an emulator, just to check the data in the disc is correct?

I use exactly the same kind of setup that you do for my tests. Have you tried running other burnt CDs on it?
I just tried a burned copy of Keiyo Flying Squadron just to test how my machine runs burned discs and it worked just fine. I'll see if I can run it in Gens. Was the newest version tested on that same hardware?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Billkwando wrote: I just tried a burned copy of Keiyo Flying Squadron just to test how my machine runs burned discs and it worked just fine. I'll see if I can run it in Gens. Was the newest version tested on that same hardware?
I tried the latest in a CDX, so it *should* work fine. The latest tested in my model 2 was 1.09, but there shouldn't be any difference in the bootloader between that one and the newest.
Billkwando

Post by Billkwando »

Artemio wrote:
Billkwando wrote: I just tried a burned copy of Keiyo Flying Squadron just to test how my machine runs burned discs and it worked just fine. I'll see if I can run it in Gens. Was the newest version tested on that same hardware?
I tried the latest in a CDX, so it *should* work fine. The latest tested in my model 2 was 1.09, but there shouldn't be any difference in the bootloader between that one and the newest.
Could it be that my laser doesn't like to read that far in? Any way to pad the disc? I tried it in Gens with the v1 bios and got the menu and the little Seedling on the right. ;)

Burned games work fine on my machine....I don't get it. :roll:

Edit: It's burning in Mode1/2048, is that right?

Edit 2: Downloaded and burned 1.09, same thing.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

It is indeed weird. Please wait for 10 hours, I will test it back at home and detail everything so you don't waste any more discs.
Billkwando

Post by Billkwando »

Artemio wrote:It is indeed weird. Please wait for 10 hours, I will test it back at home and detail everything so you don't waste any more discs.
Hahahaha thanks! I have a nice set of matching coasters now. ;)
Billkwando

Post by Billkwando »

Any luck on this?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Billkwando wrote:Any luck on this?
I am testing it right now =) Sorry about the delay.
Billkwando

Post by Billkwando »

Artemio wrote:
Billkwando wrote:Any luck on this?
I am testing it right now =) Sorry about the delay.
That's cool, thanks. :) Actually I was inspired by your avatar and the test suite screen to see what Snatcher looks like in RGB/Component, and it looks pretty damn sweet. I'm just standing in the Junker waiting room trying to sexually harass Mika at the moment. I love this game, lol.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

It is an awesome game =)

I am sorry about all the trouble... and delay. My HDD is crashing constantly, it is giving its last.

Due to this I could only recompile it here and could not perform a full test, but here is a rebuil.. I hope it works for you.. let me know: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/140 ... CD_USA.zip

I cannot do anything more until I get a new HDD. I am terribly sorry.