240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
adcurtin

Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD

Post by adcurtin »

Is there support for the Wii U? is it the same as the Wii ?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

adcurtin wrote:Is there support for the Wii U? is it the same as the Wii ?
AFAIK, the analog output on the Wii U is absolutely terrible so most people use a Wii for regular Wii games and use HDMI for Wii U since it was designed with digital output in mind. I suppose you can use one with a downscaler if you're into reducing resolution to play new games on a consumer CRT?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

adcurtin wrote:Is there support for the Wii U? is it the same as the Wii ?
No, there is no version for Wii U.
vol.2 wrote: AFAIK, the analog output on the Wii U is absolutely terrible so most people use a Wii for regular Wii games and use HDMI for Wii U since it was designed with digital output in mind. I suppose you can use one with a downscaler if you're into reducing resolution to play new games on a consumer CRT?
Yeah, you could use the Wii version to test the Wii U HDMI processing.

A Wii U version could be made, but I believe that would not be named "240p test suite", or probably have much use.
Shadow_Zero

Post by Shadow_Zero »

So I'm fiddling with the 240p test suite now on my N64 using a EverDrive 64 X7 and hooked up to a Philips PAL CRT (25PT4458), can someone enlighten me what this message means exactly:
"The Nintendo 64 system can not display the full 320x240 information drawn into the frame buffer. As a result, several pixels are never shown on screen. This is completely normal, and official games have this same behaviour. As such it is recommended you don't use these tests for multi console setups, but they work perfectly fine for Nintendo 64."

Do other consoles also give this message too? In a multi console setup (NES through Wii + PS2 in my case), which console would be best to use the 240p test suite then??
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I see the commit for fixing the Wii 480p issue from 2019: https://github.com/ArtemioUrbina/240pTe ... 1587fe79df

But this is marked as version 1.11b, while the latest on itch.io appears to be 1.10b with a 2016 date in the xml. Where can I get the 1.11b or newer version?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Since the Dreamcast version of this utility uses instructions to invoke the console's various video modes, would it be possible to identify the same instructions in a Dreamcast ROM image?

If so, instructions in the ROM that invoke 640x480 mode could be changed to invoke 320x240 mode, as is done with PS2 images.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

bobrocks95 wrote:I see the commit for fixing the Wii 480p issue from 2019: https://github.com/ArtemioUrbina/240pTe ... 1587fe79df

But this is marked as version 1.11b, while the latest on itch.io appears to be 1.10b with a 2016 date in the xml. Where can I get the 1.11b or newer version?
That's something else entirely and is the luma trap filter for composite video.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

bobrocks95 wrote:I see the commit for fixing the Wii 480p issue from 2019: https://github.com/ArtemioUrbina/240pTe ... 1587fe79df

As Extrems mentioned, it is a different thing. I am trying to push this new release with several changes in the next few days, I'll announce it here when ready.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Ah gotcha. Either way seems like I need to wait patiently since 1.10b was the last version. Thanks guys.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

bobrocks95 wrote:Ah gotcha. Either way seems like I need to wait patiently since 1.10b was the last version. Thanks guys.
You can use this beta if you want to try what I have atm: https://we.tl/t-OGVgR0XI96
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Artemio wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Ah gotcha. Either way seems like I need to wait patiently since 1.10b was the last version. Thanks guys.
You can use this beta if you want to try what I have atm: https://we.tl/t-OGVgR0XI96
Thank you! I was able to try out the 480p fix with great results (though my OSSC might be miscalibrated for the 1.10b screenshot)
Spoiler
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

bobrocks95 wrote: Thank you! I was able to try out the 480p fix with great results (though my OSSC might be miscalibrated for the 1.10b screenshot)
I'm really glad it helped you, yes I upgraded the SDK and made sure this was also in for this next release. Working on it to have it ready via the usual channels with several more things!
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Shadow_Zero wrote:So I'm fiddling with the 240p test suite now on my N64 using a EverDrive 64 X7 and hooked up to a Philips PAL CRT (25PT4458), can someone enlighten me what this message means exactly:
"The Nintendo 64 system can not display the full 320x240 information drawn into the frame buffer. As a result, several pixels are never shown on screen. This is completely normal, and official games have this same behaviour. As such it is recommended you don't use these tests for multi console setups, but they work perfectly fine for Nintendo 64."

Do other consoles also give this message too? In a multi console setup (NES through Wii + PS2 in my case), which console would be best to use the 240p test suite then??
The N64 version is unreelased, precisely due to this issue.

It means the N64 can't fill the 320x240 image
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Are the Wii and/or Gamecube versions doing any sort of trickery like GBI does to get effectively 4:4:4 color processing?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

bobrocks95 wrote:Are the Wii and/or Gamecube versions doing any sort of trickery like GBI does to get effectively 4:4:4 color processing?
It uses GX_SetPixelFmt(GX_PF_RGB8_Z24, GX_ZC_LINEAR); internally
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I'm getting a screen split in half when using 240p Test Suite on a Wiidual modded Wii with RGB output. I have no issues with the Wii otherwise and Homebrew channel seems fine with other apps.

It displays the position correctly when I switch it to 480i, but it's kind of extra jittery.

Any ideas?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Does your display support 480p? It shouldn't be displaying 480p via Scart on an European system, only via component video.

It is typical to get that split screen in 480p on displays that don't support it
nmur

Post by nmur »

Hey Artemio, I am developing a cheap RP2040 based test pattern generator which will simply cycle through static test patterns. Would it be okay if I please used some of the graphics from the 240p Test Suite?

My project is under the GPL too, and will be completely free and open source.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Artemio wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:58 pm Does your display support 480p? It shouldn't be displaying 480p via Scart on an European system, only via component video.

It is typical to get that split screen in 480p on displays that don't support it
No the monitor doesn't support 480p; It's a Sony CPD-9000 RGB/CGA monitor.

My WiiDual setup menu has 480p turned to "off" and it's displaying in 480i normally. When I load 240p Test Suite, it loads in 240p and it looks "rock solid" with the only problem is the split screen.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the 480p problem and split screen because that first happened to me when I booted up the Wii before I turned off 480p in the WiiDual menu. It did not look the same as this current issue; it looked split screen, but it was also super torn and messed up, and the scan rate was way too high for the monitor so I could hear the high pitched whine from deflection that couldn't handle 31kHz.

This is rock-solid absolutely perfect and correct 240p with the only exception that the screen is split in half. Never seen this before

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out. Inside of the "240p" specific setting for WiiDual, there is an option to linedouble anything 240p. I turned this off and it looks correct now. Weird that it doesn't get turned off when I globally turned off 480p.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Another quick question.

In HCFR, it looks like the targets for each ramp are different past 0% because, by default as per D65, HCFR treats WHITE as 235,235,235.

For example: Using either sRGB or Rec601 in 240p shows 0% as 0,0,0 but in HCFR it's expecting 016,016,016. All other ramps have a discrepancy.

Is this by design? Am I meant to assume the swatches are presented as some "ideal" red at 255, 0, 0 and to adjust my monitor to read the full 255 value in HCFR, or should I be adjusting the monitor to match the references for the colorspace in HCFR for D65 at 235 based on what 240p is telling me should be 255?

I can of course go into HCFR and set a custom white point, but that kind of defeats the purpose of selecting D65 from both HCFR and 240p I would think?

Thanks

Edit: I found that while using the built-in pattern generator in HCFR, you can switch it to work within the 0-255 RGB space. This option is in the Measures>Generator>Config drop-down, but it disappears when you switch HCFR to run with a display external to your PC. How is everyone doing this? I must be missing something, right?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

vol.2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:25 pmEDIT: Nevermind I figured it out. Inside of the "240p" specific setting for WiiDual, there is an option to linedouble anything 240p. I turned this off and it looks correct now. Weird that it doesn't get turned off when I globally turned off 480p.
It's not weird, it's a completely different thing. "Allow 480p Mode" tells the console that it may output 480p, so it affects the input side of GCVideo. The "Linedoubler" options in the individual mode settings determines if GCVideo should line-double that mode, so it affects the output side of GCVideo. Linking both of them would not be useful.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

nmur wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:23 am Hey Artemio, I am developing a cheap RP2040 based test pattern generator which will simply cycle through static test patterns. Would it be okay if I please used some of the graphics from the 240p Test Suite?

No problem at all! Just keep in mind some of them are tied to the specific hardware and clock signals of reach version
nmur

Post by nmur »

Artemio wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:54 am
nmur wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:23 am Hey Artemio, I am developing a cheap RP2040 based test pattern generator which will simply cycle through static test patterns. Would it be okay if I please used some of the graphics from the 240p Test Suite?

No problem at all! Just keep in mind some of them are tied to the specific hardware and clock signals of reach version
Thank you! And yes, understood.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Unseen wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:46 am It's not weird, it's a completely different thing. "Allow 480p Mode" tells the console that it may output 480p, so it affects the input side of GCVideo. The "Linedoubler" options in the individual mode settings determines if GCVideo should line-double that mode, so it affects the output side of GCVideo. Linking both of them would not be useful.
By "weird" I didn't mean it's function doesn't make sense, I meant that it felt unintuitive to the point that it's not obvious without an explanation. I looked online for a manual to the WiiDual settings, but it wasn't until I finally realized it was just GCvideo in sheep's clothing did I figure out that I need to look for that instead. I think it would be useful to have a link to GCvideo's wiki on his WiiDual instructions, but I guess that's up to Dan.
mv9092

Post by mv9092 »

Hello,

I can not get 240 p test suite to run on my dreamcast with a GDEMU. I have downloaded the latest version 2.03 and used GDMRNUCardManager to place it on my SD card. Once I am on the GDMenu I can see the file but once I try to play it - it takes a little longer to load then I see the Dreamcast logo with no animation followed by the regular dreamcast menu. Any thoughts? Regular games on the GDEMU load just fine.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Sorry to hear you are having issues. I don't have a GDEmu, but it has been tested by others to work and i borrowed one to test back when we checked it. .

I don't know what GDMRNUCardManager does, but it might be it expects gdrom images and not cdi files. GDEmu itself does work with cdi just fine.

I would suggest manually adding the cdi file to test,sorry I can't help further since I don't own one yet
mv9092

Post by mv9092 »

Is there a way for me to try out different versions? I can only locate the latest and just wanted to try if an older one will work with my process.

Artemio wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:13 pm Sorry to hear you are having issues. I don't have a GDEmu, but it has been tested by others to work and i borrowed one to test back when we checked it. .

I don't know what GDMRNUCardManager does, but it might be it expects gdrom images and not cdi files. GDEmu itself does work with cdi just fine.

I would suggest manually adding the cdi file to test,sorry I can't help further since I don't own one yet
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

mv9092 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:03 pm Is there a way for me to try out different versions? I can only locate the latest and just wanted to try if an older one will work with my process.
I just enabled the download of two previous versions that were tested with GDEmu at itch.io
mv9092

Post by mv9092 »

Artemio wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:00 pm
mv9092 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:03 pm Is there a way for me to try out different versions? I can only locate the latest and just wanted to try if an older one will work with my process.
I just enabled the download of two previous versions that were tested with GDEmu at itch.io
Thank you - I am still not able to get them to work. I will try some other methods to transfer the file over. I am speculating that there may be an issue with these files running on a GDEMU
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

mv9092 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:59 am Thank you - I am still not able to get them to work. I will try some other methods to transfer the file over. I am speculating that there may be an issue with these files running on a GDEMU
The two previous versions were tested with GDEMU by third parties before release, so we know that they work. Most probably you need to figure out how to install CDI files in your setup.