shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:05 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 am 

the Goat wrote:
Has anybody explored the possibility of a Sega 32X version of the 240p test suite? The 32X generates its own graphics that are overlayed on the Genesis' in the analog domain.

Is there a homebrew SDK? (would be great if it is open source) If there is one, It will be added to the queue =)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:57 am 

There have been too many news regarding MDFourier for several platforms, details are in this link:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/33847146

I still have to check the PCE and DC changes of the suite, but this has had me quite busy. It has basically been NES, SNES and GB versions of MDfourier. PinoBatch has created the ROMs within the suite,and we have been testing and creating the profiles.

In that post, or if you prefer a clean PDF: http://junkerhq.net/MDFourier/notes/MDF ... ipment.pdf, I detail how you can use MDfourier to test audio equipment response.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:10 pm 

Hello there,
I just found out about the 240p test suite. So to test my pc engine duo r on the Beovision mx 8000 i downloaded the "240pSuite_1.10_SuperCDROM"-Zip. Which of these files should i burn on a cd-r? Just the 240pSuite.iso? Or with the src-folder? the wav-files?

Sorry about that, I tried figuring it out by myself, but I did not find an answer.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:51 pm 

You have to burn the .iso file but be aware that the .iso file is an image of the CD itself, you don't have to create an empty CD, put the .iso file in it and burn it.

You have to burn the .iso file directly, your software should have the option to do that, something like "burn disc image" or "burn ISO".

Not sure what's being used on Windows those days, but on Mac I use Burn https://burn-osx.sourceforge.io/Pages/English/home.html

EDIT: just saw that you have a .cue file as well. When you have a .cue file, that's kind of an index of how the contents of the CD are arranged, so you just tell your software to use the .cue file, like Artemio said in later post and you'll be ok.

Last edited by donluca on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm 

donluca wrote:
You have to burn the .iso file but be aware that the .iso file is an image of the CD itself, you don't have to create an empty CD, put the .iso file in it and burn it.

You have to burn the .iso file directly, your software should have the option to do that, something like "burn disc image" or "burn ISO".

Not sure what's been used on Windows those days, but on Mac I use Burn https://burn-osx.sourceforge.io/Pages/English/home.html

OK, thank you very much!

But why are there so much other files in the zip? Just to know, always learning new stuff...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:42 pm 

rebornkid wrote:
donluca wrote:

Not sure what's been used on Windows those days, but on Mac I use Burn https://burn-osx.sourceforge.io/Pages/English/home.html

OK, thank you very much!

But why are there so much other files in the zip? Just to know, always learning new stuff...

In the particular case of the PC Engine, yo your use the CUE file for burning. You can use imgburn or similar to burn the CD. The ISO is just one of teh tracks needed for the Suite. If you only burn the ISO, you'd be missing the wav files that are used for several audio purposes

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:27 pm 

Artemio wrote:
rebornkid wrote:
donluca wrote:

OK, thank you very much!

In the particular case of the PC Engine, yo your use the CUE file for burning. You can use imgburn or similar to burn the CD. The ISO is just one of teh tracks needed for the Suite. If you only burn the ISO, you'd be missing the wav files that are used for several audio purposes

So i burn the cue and iso file, both as a image.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 pm 

rebornkid wrote:

Just select the CUE file when burning the image, The software will know what to do (the cue has the instructions for the Cd structure)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:09 pm 

My apologies, didn't know that a .cue file was available as well.

I've updated my reply to reflect this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:11 pm 

Artemio wrote:
rebornkid wrote:

Just select the CUE file when burning the image, The software will know what to do (the cue has the instructions for the Cd structure)

Alright, thanks for the support! I try it now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:13 pm 

donluca wrote:
My apologies, didn't know that a .cue file was available as well.

I've updated my reply to reflect this.

Don‘t worry, i realy appreciate any help!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:59 pm 

Done, it works perfect!

Thanks again for the support!

Now trying the find a good setup for the mx8000

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:31 am 

Action 53 Volume 4 is the first volume of the ongoing Action 53 homebrew anthology series for NES to actually have 53 games on it. Also on the cart is 240p Test Suite version 0.20, the first to include Convergence and MDFourier, plus a few post-0.20 tweaks to the MDFourier UI related to the validity of the triangle channel's starting state.

The cartridges will have one variant label for each game, which Paul at Infinite NES Lives plans to distribute at random. But I've been told that if anyone's interested in preordering Volume 4, Paul will reserve some "240p Test Suite" labeled carts for you.

Cartridge labels designed by M-Tee

NES version

Famicom version

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 pm 

Sorry if this is fairly simple and I'm missing something, but I don't fully understand how to calibrate PAL (composite, don't ask) with the colour bars/PLUGE here. The colour bars are labelled SMPTE on my European Wii, but from reading the wiki I'll just assume it feeds EBU from reading the console's region. Thing is I can't find any online source that specifies how to calibrate this EBU test pattern (that looks the exact same as an SMPTE test pattern rather than the traditional EBU test pattern) and I'm not sure how accurate the chroma set-up auto adjust on my PVM-20M4E is. Are the PLUGE bars at the bottom adjusted for a black level of 0 IRE with PAL or are they still centred at 7.5 IRE? I assume it's the latter since the PLUGE test pattern gives you the option of NTSC 7.5 IRE or RGB full range but it's a little confusing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:51 am 

ross wrote:
The colour bars are labelled SMPTE on my European Wii, but from reading the wiki I'll just assume it feeds EBU from reading the console's region.

You can select the video standard you want under options. Please select PAL for the EBU color bars to be enabled. This is not auto selected sincethe feedback I got was to default to NTSC.

ross wrote:
Are the PLUGE bars at the bottom adjusted for a black level of 0 IRE with PAL or are they still centred at 7.5 IRE? I assume it's the latter since the PLUGE test pattern gives you the option of NTSC 7.5 IRE or RGB full range but it's a little confusing.

There are PLUGE bars for 0 IRE and for 7.5 IRE, this is described in the help text for the test. You can alternate between them, and even have some buttons to point out the bars and their current levels.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:35 pm 

Hi, Artemio. I might have worded my last post poorly, sorry for any confusion.

Artemio wrote:
ross wrote:
The colour bars are labelled SMPTE on my European Wii, but from reading the wiki I'll just assume it feeds EBU from reading the console's region.

You can select the video standard you want under options. Please select PAL for the EBU color bars to be enabled. This is not auto selected sincethe feedback I got was to default to NTSC.

PAL mode was already turned on, either automatically or I did it manually sometime in the past and have no memory of it. Either way, I can't see any perceivable difference between PAL mode being turned on or off and the monitor's still receiving a PAL signal regardless.

Anyway, it's only giving me the option for SMPTE colour bars rather than EBU colour bars which I believe look like this:

Is it that the top two-thirds of the SMPTE test pattern are altered to EBU values when PAL mode is on?

Artemio wrote:
ross wrote:
Are the PLUGE bars at the bottom adjusted for a black level of 0 IRE with PAL or are they still centred at 7.5 IRE? I assume it's the latter since the PLUGE test pattern gives you the option of NTSC 7.5 IRE or RGB full range but it's a little confusing.

There are PLUGE bars for 0 IRE and for 7.5 IRE, this is described in the help text for the test. You can alternate between them, and even have some buttons to point out the bars and their current levels.

I understand the PLUGE test pattern gives you that option, I was referring to the 3.5/7.5/11.5 IRE bars at the bottom of the SMPTE test pattern, and whether they are adjusted to, say, 1/2/3.5 IRE when PAL mode is turned on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:42 am 

Sorry about teh delay, I had to take the Wii out of storage to check.

On an NTSC system, the software is working as expected: When using NTSC modes it shows the SMPTE pattern and when in PAL modes it shows the EBU pattern.

From your experience, this is not happening in a native PAL system.

ross wrote:
PAL mode was already turned on, either automatically or I did it manually sometime in the past and have no memory of it. Either way, I can't see any perceivable difference between PAL mode being turned on or off and the monitor's still receiving a PAL signal regardless.

Here is a video from the expected behavior after changing settings and how to change them, sorry about the quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3-qIQKFGM

ross wrote:
I understand the PLUGE test pattern gives you that option, I was referring to the 3.5/7.5/11.5 IRE bars at the bottom of the SMPTE test pattern, and whether they are adjusted to, say, 1/2/3.5 IRE when PAL mode is turned on.

No, those are at NTSC levels always.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:47 am 

paulb_nl wrote:
Artemio wrote:

That's good. Since you mentioned it, I assume the Genesis version also does the same thing in your setup, right?

The circles on the Genesis suite are the same size on my CRT with 320x224 and 256x224 so they are correct.

Artemio wrote:
I've been swamped with work, and want to pay this full attention and not just a superficial glance. But I need to make the time for it, hopefully this week.

That's fine, no hurry :)

Being cynical: "I know you said no hurry, so it took me only four months to get a MiSTer to test". In all honesty, I am deeply sorry about taking this long to confirm this.

But I am really glad to tell you that you were completely right! And I recorded a low quality video showing the Duo-R and the MiSTer connected to the same CRT and switching between them.

There is a slight horizontal offset difference, which could be due to the RGB mod. But other than that, they are indistinguishably round between them. Awesome work and thank you again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXZ4XlYO2h4

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 am 

Artemio wrote:
Sorry about teh delay, I had to take the Wii out of storage to check.

On an NTSC system, the software is working as expected: When using NTSC modes it shows the SMPTE pattern and when in PAL modes it shows the EBU pattern.

From your experience, this is not happening in a native PAL system.

ross wrote:

Here is a video from the expected behavior after changing settings and how to change them, sorry about the quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3-qIQKFGM

ross wrote:

No, those are at NTSC levels always.

Sorry for the hassle, it is working after all! I didn't think, in my infinite wisdom, to try changing to a 50 Hz resolution, I was simply changing "enable PAL modes" in the options. Thanks so much for your help.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22