shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:57 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 664
Ichinisan wrote:
Is there a place where I can download the Playstation version, or do I need to compile the source and build a disc image?

[edit]
Nevermind. I found it here: https://github.com/filipalac/240pTestSuite-PS1/tree/master/binary

is that tested to perform as designed on a PS2? I'm sure it would just wondering if it's been verified


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:11 pm 



Joined: 08 Mar 2017
Posts: 759
It works on a PS2 with Modchip but he video mode is fixed to the console's region, due to the PS2 design.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 664
has anyone ever considered porting this to MS-DOS?

or is there something similar out there for DOS PCs already?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:13 am 



Joined: 01 Jan 2019
Posts: 2
SO has anyone noticed that their PVMs have different geometry on 240p vs 480i? I used the test suite in 240p and got the geometry right. For my NES it looks good and my SNES, but then I switch to GCN and PS2 and it looks off in the same direction that i moved the geometry in the grid pattern.

I then corrected it using the 480i mode, but when I switched it back to 240p everything was shifted back to the right as it had been before.
BTW I'm using a Dreamcast on composite video to test geometry. I know its not the best but its all i have to work with until my SD Media Launcher comes in.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
Every console on every resolution can be/is slightly different.
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 664
plumptree wrote:
SO has anyone noticed that their PVMs have different geometry on 240p vs 480i? I used the test suite in 240p and got the geometry right. For my NES it looks good and my SNES, but then I switch to GCN and PS2 and it looks off in the same direction that i moved the geometry in the grid pattern.

I then corrected it using the 480i mode, but when I switched it back to 240p everything was shifted back to the right as it had been before.
BTW I'm using a Dreamcast on composite video to test geometry. I know its not the best but its all i have to work with until my SD Media Launcher comes in.

dreamcast specifically has a horizontal shift compared to most other consoles - I would not use that as a guide


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:24 pm 



Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 30
Artemio wrote:
Every console on every resolution can be/is slightly different.


But shouldn't the video modes on the dreamcast version all have the same horizontal position? "480i scaled 240p assets (NTSC)" displays the grid in the correct position (for dreamcast games). 240p video mode is right shifted.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
eccoboy wrote:
Artemio wrote:
Every console on every resolution can be/is slightly different.


But shouldn't the video modes on the dreamcast version all have the same horizontal position? "480i scaled 240p assets (NTSC)" displays the grid in the correct position (for dreamcast games). 240p video mode is right shifted.


Which version are you using? I recall I did a test for somebody and it might have slipped by.
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 pm 



Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 30
I just tried version 1.24 hoping the horizontal shift was corrected


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
eccoboy wrote:
I just tried version 1.24 hoping the horizontal shift was corrected


Sorry for the inconvenience, I just checked and see what you mean.

The current configuration for 240p was indeed crafted by myself, several years ago. Based off the defaults of the SDK and measurements, but I can't find my notes on this specific version.

It might be the case I didn't have an oscilloscope when I coded it, and never compared it back against the configurations used by games as I have done with all the others.

Right now I won't have time to compare it, but will have time this week.

Since this is a community effort and it benefits a lot from it, here's what we can do.

I compiled my debug version for you, available here: http://junkerhq.net/Suite/240pSuite-debug.cdi

It has a Video Settings sub menu, that allows you to change all the configuration for the video mode.

Image


The value you are looking to change is "Bitmap X"

Image

I can compare that to the game that comes to mind, Third Strike on the scope after a while. But meanwhile you can try it out and give me the estimate value you find to work for you.

Then we can talk about value sin several games, since the DC allows each game to define this. And if itis necessary we can add an option for one or more defaults under Configuration/settings.

Let me know what you think
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 am 



Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 30
Adjusting the video settings in this debug version and "pressing Y to set" has no effect. But the default settings in this debug version are correct. The horizontal position of the grid in "240p" video mode is good (although the vertical position is shifted down). In "480i scaled 240p assets (NTSC)" video mode the grid position is correct both vertically and horizontally.

I also want to mention that the pc engine version (1.03) grids are all shifted up slightly, and shifted too far down when using "start at line: 24". The 320x240 and 512x240 grids are shifted left.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
eccoboy wrote:
Adjusting the video settings in this debug version and "pressing Y to set" has no effect. But the default settings in this debug version are correct. The horizontal position of the grid in "240p" video mode is good (although the vertical position is shifted down). In "480i scaled 240p assets (NTSC)" video mode the grid position is correct both vertically and horizontally.


Thanks for the feedback, I already changed the value to the proposed one. And here is a test version with it as default: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7o82jc8220rp ... 4.zip?dl=0 (same link as above). This time "Y to Set" should work, sorry about that (left something commented).

I'll wait for your feedback before pushing these changes. They were indeed introduced as an error for some testing I had been asked for, and forgot to revert them.

eccoboy wrote:
I also want to mention that the pc engine version (1.03) grids are all shifted up slightly, and shifted too far down when using "start at line: 24". The 320x240 and 512x240 grids are shifted left.


That is really strange. I copied the values from game registers. I remember I tested a few dozen games with those values, I remember Final Soldier specifically since it was years ago. Do you have any examples?
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:49 pm 



Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 30
I tested the Dreamcast debug version from the dropbox link above and the grids (and other test patterns) all look good in both 240p and 480i scaled video modes.

As for the PC Engine version....

The vertical position of the grids in the PC Engine test suite matches the vertical position of the grids in the Dreamcast test suite. However, PC Engine games are positioned down slightly. So if I calibrate my monitor using the PC Engine test suite grid, when I start a game there is a black bar at the top of the image.

I calibrated my monitor based on the following games. All have the same resolution/screen position:

Final Soldier, PC Genjin, Fantasy Zone, Jigoku Meguri, Star Paroja, Nexzr, maybe a few others that I forgot.
Saigo no Nindou was the only game I found to be different.

Compared to the games above, in 240p video mode (start at line 22), grids 256x240 and 320x240 are shifted up (linearity patterns as well), and grid 512x240 is shifted up and to the left.

In 224p mode (start at line 22), grid 512x224 is shifted left.

In 240p mode (start at line 24), grids 256x240 and 320x240 are shifted down (linearity 320x240 looks good) and grid 512x240 is shifted down and left.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
Sorry it's been a while, but aside from being way too busy with regular chores and some pcb repairs, I wanted to do serious testing and figure out what is happening.


eccoboy wrote:
I tested the Dreamcast debug version from the dropbox link above and the grids (and other test patterns) all look good in both 240p and 480i scaled video modes.


Excellent! I'll make a small change and release it soon. Thank you very much.

eccoboy wrote:
As for the PC Engine version....

The vertical position of the grids in the PC Engine test suite matches the vertical position of the grids in the Dreamcast test suite. However, PC Engine games are positioned down slightly. So if I calibrate my monitor using the PC Engine test suite grid, when I start a game there is a black bar at the top of the image.


Yes, each system varies slightly.

eccoboy wrote:
I calibrated my monitor based on the following games. All have the same resolution/screen position:

Final Soldier, PC Genjin, Fantasy Zone, Jigoku Meguri, Star Paroja, Nexzr, maybe a few others that I forgot.
Saigo no Nindou was the only game I found to be different.

Compared to the games above, in 240p video mode (start at line 22), grids 256x240 and 320x240 are shifted up (linearity patterns as well), and grid 512x240 is shifted up and to the left.

In 224p mode (start at line 22), grid 512x224 is shifted left.

In 240p mode (start at line 24), grids 256x240 and 320x240 are shifted down (linearity 320x240 looks good) and grid 512x240 is shifted down and left.


Thanks for your detailed input.

I started by checking how those games set the registers, and everything matched the use in the Suite. Of course most of them are 256x239. There is nothing I know of in the catalogue that uses 320x240 or 512x240.

Irem games like Ninja Spirit use different configurations to those used by NEC and Hudson (I might look a bit into those), and Fantasy Zone is also different form the rest, since it uses 224p but with some blank lines but is covered by the base 224 setting.

One thing that you might not have used is the "fill all the video signal background area" option while in the Grid patterns, it fills with a white background the full video signal by pressing button I while in the grid.

Using that and comparing the values I figured out the differences. Turns out that HUC - the SDK I am using - has some bad defaults that messed up the signal, and I relied on it after my settings. I shouldn't have done that.

I rewrote the resolution management to be completely internal and not relying on HUC defaults, so values can be tweaked to match the NEC/Hudson defaults.

Here is the link to the 1.05 Release Candidate:

http://junkerhq.net/Suite/240pSuite_1.05-RC.zip

If anybody is interested, here are some images:


Here is 256 Horizontal on the Scope, with the white border enabled
Image

As you can see, it is not centered within the signal, but these are the values used by the games in the console
Image

And here is a picture of the same signal on the test PVM:
Image


Here is 320, with the cursor set on the 256 timing:
Image

Same 320 signal, but moved the cursor to measure the real length:
Image

And here is 320 as seen on the screen
Image


Here is 512 before adjusting it, with the HUC defaults and compared to 320.
Image

This is 512 measured before adjusting
Image

And here is 512 on the screen before adjusting:
Image

I ended up comparing to R-Type, since it uses 352x240. I also added a Grid and Checkerboard with the R-TYpe resolution, among a lot other things that I'll document when releasing this beta.

Thanks
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:26 am 



Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 30
Artemio wrote:
There is nothing I know of in the catalogue that uses 320x240 or 512x240.

I see. If that's the case then I suppose those other grids aren't too important? I thought TwinBee might be 320x240 because the black bars on the side but maybe that's also 256x239. It's the only game I have with that resolution that I can think of at the moment.

I checked out the SuperCDROM version of 1.05 and everything looks good. The 320x240 and Rtype grids are slightly shifted left and the 512x240 grid shifted right. But if I am following you correctly, that is how the system outputs those resolutions.

One more nitpicky thing: the help menus and video options screen are shifted to the right


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
eccoboy wrote:
I see. If that's the case then I suppose those other grids aren't too important?


They are a reference, as any other.

eccoboy wrote:
I thought TwinBee might be 320x240 because the black bars on the side but maybe that's also 256x239. It's the only game I have with that resolution that I can think of at the moment.


Yes, 256x239.

eccoboy wrote:
I checked out the SuperCDROM version of 1.05 and everything looks good. The 320x240 and Rtype grids are slightly shifted left and the 512x240 grid shifted right. But if I am following you correctly, that is how the system outputs those resolutions.


That is exactly how the official R-type places it. I based 320 on that, since it is the official reference I had, and having one "unit" to the left or right from the selected value, is way off center. So yes, that seems to be the sweet spot (It is the same one as before)

eccoboy wrote:
One more nitpicky thing: the help menus and video options screen are shifted to the right


They are in 512x240, that's why.

I'll make one small change to the suite before releasing this version.
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
PC Engine/Turbografx 16 Release 1.05 24/02/2019 (Super CD-ROM2, CD-ROM2 and HuCard)

- Added 256, 320, 352 and 512 resolutions to Checkerboard
- Added 352x240 resolution to Grid and Checkerboard (R-Type)
- Added internal Horizontal resolution setup functions, skipping HUC defaults
- Centered 512 Horizontal resolution
- Modified help files to reflect new options
- Modified help files to highlight user options, by starting lines with a hyphen
- Reversed direction in vertical Scroll
- Changed ADPCM volume in CD-ROM audio tests
- Displays Help warning when loading manual lag test

https://sourceforge.net/projects/testsu ... leted=true
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2015
Posts: 38
Incredible, thanks Artemio :D
_________________
SmokeMonster Youtube | Twitter @SmokeMonsterTWI


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:28 pm 



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 196
Excellent work, Artemio! Thanks.

Have you had any time to work on the Saturn version lately?,


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
xga wrote:
Excellent work, Artemio! Thanks.


Thank you

xga wrote:
Have you had any time to work on the Saturn version lately?,


Not for a few months, I hope to restart work on the Suite later this year. Sorry.
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:04 pm 



Joined: 29 Apr 2018
Posts: 30
Artemio wrote:
PC Engine/Turbografx 16 Release 1.05 24/02/2019 (Super CD-ROM2, CD-ROM2 and HuCard)


Great, looks good. Thanks


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:17 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 664
Artemio wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, I already changed the value to the proposed one. And here is a test version with it as default: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7o82jc8220rp ... 4.zip?dl=0 (same link as above). This time "Y to Set" should work, sorry about that (left something commented).

I'll wait for your feedback before pushing these changes. They were indeed introduced as an error for some testing I had been asked for, and forgot to revert them.

just downloaded and burned the 1.17 version of the suite for dreamcast, I can verify that in 240p the image is now properly centered

unfortunately in 480p mode, there is still a shift to the right - didn't count pixels but visually it appears to be about the same amount as the 240p mode was before you fixed it


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2015
Posts: 85
Location: New York
A major realization regarding 480p Wii implementation from another thread. Cross referencing here in the hopes that Wii 240p Test Suite can be “fixed” along these lines:

Extrems wrote:

Extrems wrote:
Here's a before/after:

Image

Not64 was updated. Set "VideoWidth = 0" for pixel perfect.
An update for Enhanced mGBA is in the works.

Extrems wrote:
On the left is what all versions of the Revolution SDK does. libogc also happen to use decompiled Revolution SDK code.

Extrems wrote:
Every piece of software ever released on the Wii that supports 480p is affected.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:02 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 600
Location: Mexico
awe444 wrote:
A major realization regarding 480p Wii implementation from another thread. Cross referencing here in the hopes that Wii 240p Test Suite can be “fixed” along these lines:

Extrems wrote:

Extrems wrote:
Here's a before/after:


This is amazing! Thank you very much, will fix GC and Wii soon (I'm in the middle of another project, and will need to update all my toolchain for this)
_________________
The Policenauts Translation Project
240p Test Suite
XRGB Wiki


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 240p test suite for DC,PCE,Wii,SNES,GC,MD and SCD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:13 am 



Joined: 17 Oct 2015
Posts: 35
Will other versions get Pluge Contrast soon? If not, I'll be pushing out a new version of the NES, GB, and GBA ports.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group