PS2 Button question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
GaijinPunch

PS2 Button question

Post by GaijinPunch »

Hey -- can anyone think of any time I would need the shoulder buttons in a PS2 game that I'd play with a Joystick. That basically means shooters and the metal slugs. This one I'm modding has these goofy little wires and I don't think I want to bother with them.

The select button is another one... I don't know if I've ever used the damn thing... especially in a shooter.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

No PS2 shmup I can think of offhand uses more than 4 buttons...Galuda's Arrange mode is the only one I can recall which uses 4.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

You will need the select button (at least player1's select button). Psyiko ports, XII Stag and Psyvariar Complete which make use of the select button to either insert credits, or menu options. If you plan on playing fighters, you'd want the shoulder buttons as well.

If you look back at the bay area shmupmeet pics, you will see my PS2 cab (on the right) uses all the ps2 buttons (except L3+L4) and has a single select button at top center. (the pic is a bit blurry...sorry).

GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Thanks for the replies. There's no fear for me playing fighting games. The only fighting game I ever played was VF4, and played it mainly in the arcades. I've got Psyvariar Medium Unit... I can't say I won't ever pick up complete though, or the Psikyo ports.... although it's not likely.

I'll figure out a way to put the select button in there. I'm modding from a DC stick. I can use the start button it's got in there, but it has no Select, and I'm not going to carve new holes...especially since I likely won't use them that often.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Shoulder buttons:
PS2: R-Type Final.
PS1: Einhander, possibly R-Type Delta (can't remember). Also possibly Thunder Force V Perfect System, never played it.

Of those, I'd only bother to play Einhander or R-Type Delta :D
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Is there no button config in those games?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I know Einhander allows you to realign the button commands, but I've never played R-Type Delta, so I'm not sure about that one.

EDIT: Doh, you just sold me that game, didn't you. :lol:
Blade

Post by Blade »

GaijinPunch wrote:Thanks for the replies. There's no fear for me playing fighting games. The only fighting game I ever played was VF4, and played it mainly in the arcades. I've got Psyvariar Medium Unit... I can't say I won't ever pick up complete though, or the Psikyo ports.... although it's not likely.
If only there was an Arcade version of Dragonball Z Budokai 3....that game would be easy enough to play to say the least. For you anyway.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

BM -- yeah, I think you bought that off me.

Blade: I don't play fighting games b/c of their difficulty (or lack thereof for that matter). I don't play them b/c I don't care for them... Dragonball related ones being at the top of the very long list of ones I particularly despise. :)
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Here it is! A very crappy job, but it works. I suck at soldering... shoot me.

Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

Great job. I suck at soldering as well, I go through it like butter and end up with balls... :(
The DC arcade controls are very good from my memory, I had to get rid of them when they were almost completely destroyed.
The Captain.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

The buttons are okay -- the stick is crap though. The one you see there is a Sanwa (buttons too!).
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

GaijinPunch wrote:Is there no button config in those games?
Button config, I believe so. I was thinking of a stick with only X, Square, Circle, Triangle, Start, and possibly Select support.

R-Type Delta & Final:
Shot+Force+Special Weapon+Speed Up+Speed Down+Start = 6 buttons. I'm not sure if any of these can be mapped to Select--I'll try to double-check later today.

And Einhander... I can't remember all of the buttons at the moment. I played it with a Hori RAP, mapped seven buttons on it and I think I still skipped some of the functions.
Something like Start+Speed Up+Speed Down+Weapon Cycle+Manipulator Arm control+Shot... maybe another one or two?
I'll try to make time for this one as well.
icycalm
Banned User

Post by icycalm »

I like seeing pics of peoples' gaming rigs.

We should have a thread about that.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

GP:
R-Types Delta and Final use 6 buttons, with an optional 7th.
Shot, Force, Weapon, Speed Up, Speed Down, Start. Rapid Fire optional.

Einhander uses 6 buttons as well, with another two for gunpod select, depending on ship.
Arm 1 [shot], Arm 2 [shot], Move Manipulator, Speed Up, Speed Down, Start. Gunpod Select Left, Gunpod Select Right if using a ship other than the Endymion FRS Mk. III

None of these games allow Select to be mapped to a command.

icycalm:
You might like this thread. [smiley omitted]
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

incognoscente wrote:GP:
R-Types Delta and Final use 6 buttons, with an optional 7th.

Einhander uses 6 buttons as well, with another two for gunpod select, depending on ship.
There's two games I won't be playing! Hehe... only own one of them, and don't particularly care for it. It's up for sale.

About that link -- looks like the first pictures in there have a similar setup. Ooh... pink!