Aero City info

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gozur

Aero City info

Post by Gozur »

I'm picking up a Aero City on Weds of this week and was hoping to get some decent info before picking it up.

Is there an online resource that I might be able to see a manual or some detailed specs for the cab? (Aero City) Stuff like monitor brand, etc...

Is it complicated to rotate the monitor to be verti instead of hori?

If it's like the Windy City and likely to hose things, Can anyone recommend some good horizontal shmups? It currently has multi slot MVS in the cab and I was thinking of doing a multi jamma with MVS and possibly a PCB or two and if enough room a Dreamcast.

Any info would be appreciated.

Here's a pic

Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc..
-Goz

NAOMI games: Border Down, Ikaruga, Trizeal, Chaos Field, Heavy Metal
Atomiswave: Dolphin Blue, Demolish Fist, Rumble Fish, Knights of Valour
Cabs: Crown powered by DC, Windy powered by Saturn & DC, Cyberlead
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Hey, I got one of those. To answer your questions, I believe the standard monitor for an Aerocity is a sega Nanao 26 incher with dual resolution, which I hear is supposed to be pretty damn good. You CAN rotate the monitor, but it's an enormous pain in the ass. You have to unhook the thing(discharge it first!), take the monitor out and and put it back in vertically. It can be done with one person but I don't recommend it.

As for good horzis, you can't go wrong with Progear no Arashi for the cps2. Also, Blazing Star and Pulstar for MVS are nice, and 1944: The Loop Master is for a horizontal monitor(though it scrolls vertically).
Ord

Post by Ord »

Yeah! I just got my Aero City last friday -
It's in great condition, however I haven't fired her up properly yet as i'm waiting to get the Progear board soon. It came with a full instruction book and marquee holder. I have heard nothing but good things about the monitor and apparently it's actually quite easy to rotate.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Gozur: Looks like your cabinet needs the the control refresh! A new set of Seimitsu LS-32 sticks and Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons would be proper.

p.s. The control panel you have on there is an aftermarket piece from Seimitsu.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Goz, sounds similar to the Astro monitor just smaller. So just disconnect the remote control board, and rgb cable, remove cab front, tip cab on its back, pull monitor up/out and rotate then back down. You do NOT need to discharge the monitor.

I just did this by myself on my Astro this weekend so I could try out Demon Front.
Gozur

Post by Gozur »

oxtsu wrote:Gozur: Looks like your cabinet needs the the control refresh! A new set of Seimitsu LS-32 sticks and Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons would be proper.

p.s. The control panel you have on there is an aftermarket piece from Seimitsu.
I was planning on it once I have the cab home. I wont have it until tomorrow night. I happen to have a small selection of Sanwa joys which I really like so the joys and buttons will certainly be changed out. Now just to fix a small problem with the green gun and secure some CAVE shmups.
-Goz

Gozur

Post by Gozur »

Dave_K. wrote:Goz, sounds similar to the Astro monitor just smaller. So just disconnect the remote control board, and rgb cable, remove cab front, tip cab on its back, pull monitor up/out and rotate then back down. You do NOT need to discharge the monitor.

I just did this by myself on my Astro this weekend so I could try out Demon Front.
Dave,

Thanks for the input.

I might have to bribe you into coming over and supervising. haha

On a side note. I have the Dreamcast wedged into my NAOMI cab playing on the hi-res monitor and both using the NAOMI sound amp. So I can toggle between the two. You'll have to see if you can pick out any difference between the NAOMI and Dreamcast.
-Goz

Ord

Post by Ord »

Dave_K. wrote:

Not to derail the topic too much, but is Demon Front worth shelling out for?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Gozur wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Goz, sounds similar to the Astro monitor just smaller. So just disconnect the remote control board, and rgb cable, remove cab front, tip cab on its back, pull monitor up/out and rotate then back down. You do NOT need to discharge the monitor.

Dave,

Thanks for the input.

I might have to bribe you into coming over and supervising. haha

On a side note. I have the Dreamcast wedged into my NAOMI cab playing on the hi-res monitor and both using the NAOMI sound amp. So I can toggle between the two. You'll have to see if you can pick out any difference between the NAOMI and Dreamcast.
I'd love to come down and check both out this weekend, but not sure of my availability.
Gozur

Post by Gozur »

I'm actually heading to Seatle on Friday. Maybe the following weekend. We'll talk.

-Goz
-Goz

Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Ord wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:

Not to derail the topic too much, but is Demon Front worth shelling out for?
Haven't played it enough to make a real assessment yet...but my curiosity got the best of me after reading it was Metal Slug with DDP chaining. I also broke down and got a DDP2 cart. So I'm scratching that long needed PGM itch. I'll have a better feel for both in about a month (since my free time is limited).
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Better safe than sorry, I always say...whenever I handle the monitor I figure it's worth the time to eliminate the chance of electrocution.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Dewclaw wrote:

Better safe than sorry, I always say...whenever I handle the monitor I figure it's worth the time to eliminate the chance of electrocution.
You risk more fiddling around with the anode cap and poking things in there than you ever would just rotating the monitor.
Furthermore,needlessly discharging just increases the chances you're
going to screw up and scratch the tube by the anode, possibly weaking it.

If you're not lifting the anode cap off, there is zero reason to discharge your monitor. While rotating, the only thing you need to be careful of is
not actually exposing/lifting the suction cup, but your hands won't be around there anyways.

Take it from those who do more of this than most of us:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 177.0.html
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 152.0.html
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Hmm....the only dangerous part of the monitor is the area under the anode. That's a load off my mind, I've been reading all these horror stories about exploding tubes and flying screwdrivers and it's scaring the crap out of me. I was under the impression that there were lots of dangerous metal parts back there.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Zakk is right on the mark. As long as your aren't grabbing the anode wire, touching the yolk, or touching the underside of the PCB, you are fine. Just handel the monitor via the frame and you are good to go.
system11

Post by system11 »

Do any JP cabs actually have an easy rotate?

This is my (non jp) cab here:

Yes, Videotronics stole a picture of my cab for their site. I don't mind really, as they did sell it to me in the first place. Note the wheel. Unclip wheel retainer, rotate (one handed), reclip, close lid, reconnect controls. Takes 60 seconds.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Taito Egret 1-3 are all easy to rotate.
Ord

Post by Ord »

bloodflowers wrote:Do any JP cabs actually have an easy rotate?

This is my (non jp) cab here:

Yes, Videotronics stole a picture of my cab for their site. I don't mind really, as they did sell it to me in the first place. Note the wheel. Unclip wheel retainer, rotate (one handed), reclip, close lid, reconnect controls. Takes 60 seconds.
:shock: Very cool. No I don't think any candy cabs are as easy as that to rotate.
japtor

Post by japtor »

Do any JP cabs actually have an easy rotate?
what, the egret doesnt count? its a similar method iirc. cept the control panel isnt part of the cover so you dont have to mess with that (may have to lift it up first for clearance). egret 2 has a similar method, dont know about 3 but i would guess it does too.