shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:54 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:

the PAL one, aside from being 50Hz instead of 60Hz, outputs AC; .

that's bizarre.

i guess maybe it's down to rectifying 240 vs 120/100VAC to DC?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:58 pm 

NTSC toploader takes an AC input and that's what the PSU outputs, BUT you can just get a DC PSU and that will work fine, too. NES just converts it to DC internally anyway, so if you don't want to think about it, just get a DC PSU and you'll be fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:45 pm 

I'm starting to think my AV Famicom question actually deserved its own thread. Now I'm actually more confused with all the conflicting answers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:36 pm 

lechu wrote:
I'm starting to think my AV Famicom question actually deserved its own thread. Now I'm actually more confused with all the conflicting answers.

Using the original AC adapter is fine, you shouldn’t run into any real issues. If you’re still concerned, use a model 1 Genesis AC adapter as it’s totally compatible with the AV Fami.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:21 pm 

sorry for the confusion. I should've stated that I was discussing, in particular, the effect on longevity of plugging japanese electronics directly in US outlets, and how it affects their longevity, considering they expect 100v and you're feeding them 120v.

For optimal result you could use a step up transformer, or buy a power adapter for your console that draws on 120v instead of 100v and outputs the right voltage that the console expects.
But it's gonna work fine if you plug the japanese power supply in an US outlet. it probably reduces the console's lifespan a tiny bit, but operation will still be good.

I plug my japanese consoles straight in the outlet myself. However, I have a japanese turntable that is rare-ish and costs between $500 and $1000 and for that item I have elected to use a step up transformer, since I really want it to last my lifetime and more. It's not something that's easy to find and it's more expensive so that's why I'm extra cautious with that one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:06 pm 

FinalBaton wrote:
For optimal result you could use a step up transformer...

However, I have a japanese turntable that is rare-ish and costs between $500 and $1000 and for that item I have elected to use a step up transformer...

Wouldn't that be a stepdown transformer if it's taking mains voltage and lowering it, whereas a stepup transformer would take a lower mains voltage and raise it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:28 pm 

ApolloBoy wrote:
lechu wrote:

Using the original AC adapter is fine, you shouldn’t run into any real issues. If you’re still concerned, use a model 1 Genesis AC adapter as it’s totally compatible with the AV Fami.

This will work but the AV Famicom will get super hot. Since the original power supply is linear and designed for 100V AC, plugging it into 120V AC will have it output more voltage. Iirc the power supply is 10V 850 mA at 100V. If you have it plugged into 120V AC like most people in the states (or higher rarely lower) it will easily be 2 volts over the intended spec. Tl;dr your voltage regulator will have to dissipate that as heat.

My AV famicom used to get extremely hot with the original AV Famicom 10V 850 mA JP wal-wart after like 30-40 minutes. With a new US power supply power+ (the one hd retrovision recommended) or a genesis model 1 psu it can run for hours and not even get lukewarm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:48 pm 

yes, stepdown. I always mix those

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:21 am 

Quick question, i was sure i posted a thread yesterday about RGB modding my tv, but im not sure it got approved.
is there any specific guidelines about creating threads i need to check first?

I really need some advice before i start ripping things apart out of this crt model.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 pm 

I'd personally like to keep my equipment is good condition long term, so I'm guessing the converter is probably the best route for me.

Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.ca/BESTEK-Adapter-Co ... 29&sr=8-23

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:14 pm 

Anyone using Extron IN1604 in their setups? How does its scaler compare to the 301 HD? I use the latter with a OSSC and am very happy with it. If the 1604 uses the same silicon, the added HDMI inputs would be nice. Can get a few for cheap, so instead of a HDMI switcher, perhaps it could do the job of 2 devices?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 pm 

lechu wrote:
I'd personally like to keep my equipment is good condition long term, so I'm guessing the converter is probably the best route for me.

Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.ca/BESTEK-Adapter-Co ... 29&sr=8-23

No, as others have said you should just use an alternative PSU if you are not comfortable using the Japanese one, if you must use a step down it needs to be 120V -> 100V if you're in Canada.. but it really is overkill.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:17 pm 

Should I have my BVM-D24's screen facing East or North for the best possible picture quality? Meaning the least amount of distortion with geometry, convergence and focus from the Earth's magnetic field. I know that you can select which cardinal direction it's facing in the menu to adjust for the Earth's magnetic field, but I was wondering if there is an optimal cardinal direction that yields the best results.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:06 pm 

Quote:
Anyone using Extron IN1604 in their setups?

I have the 1606. Scaling engine is the same, yes. AFL is missing though (automatic framerate lock). You can try on your 301 if you're missing it, once you switch it off. Not 100% sure if it has all the scaling options of the 301 (e.g. 1:1 pixel output bordered and frames to the output res) or just the limited option set as the DSC HD-HD.

Still a pretty nice machine, especially considering that these are dirt cheap by now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:
Anyone using Extron IN1604 in their setups?

I have the 1606. Scaling engine is the same, yes. AFL is missing though (automatic framerate lock). You can try on your 301 if you're missing it, once you switch it off. Not 100% sure if it has all the scaling options of the 301 (e.g. 1:1 pixel output bordered and frames to the output res) or just the limited option set as the DSC HD-HD.

Still a pretty nice machine, especially considering that these are dirt cheap by now.

Thanks Fudoh! They are indeed cheap, I'll get a couple and see how they work out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:24 pm 

Has anyone ever painted a CRT case or bezel that has any tips or suggestions? I have a Trinitron with some serious wear and tear and thought I would make a project of it. Any suggestions for paint type, surface prep etc. appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:27 pm 

GojiFan90 wrote:
Has anyone ever painted a CRT case or bezel that has any tips or suggestions? I have a Trinitron with some serious wear and tear and thought I would make a project of it. Any suggestions for paint type, surface prep etc. appreciated. Thanks!

I have some fabrication experience. My advice is going to be "best possible DIY" level.

Ideally, you want industrial paint for plastics. Most of the best of these paints is only available in large quantities, so it's hard to get for a small project.

Fortunately, you can just use paint for car bumpers. If you go to an automotive paint store, you can tell them what you are trying to do, and they can mix something up for you with the correct properties. Make sure you tell them you want something for painting plastic. You'll want to bring the part with you so they can color match it to the original paint.

That route will cost you between 40-100 bucks. If you want them to, the paint shop should be able to put it in a spray can for you so you can just paint it with that. If you have one, and you know what you are doing, get the paint in a can and use your paint sprayer. In a can will be much cheaper.

This all depends on your skill with painting. If your technique sucks, you'll end up with drips and dots and that sort of thing. You may want to practice on something you don't care about to hone your skill. Pay specific attention to how quickly you move the sprayer and how close you are to the surface.

Prep for painting plastic is sanding until it's silky smooth up to like 3000 or 4000 with wet sandpaper. Try not to go below 1000 because plastic sands down quick. 800 is ok if you are really light and you have deep scratches. There are plastic prep solutions you should buy that are applied before painting. They make the paint stick much better and it will be less likely to peel off. I highly recommend doing it.

That's about it. Watch a bunch of youtube videos on painting plastic and the procedures, there are tons of them. Good luck.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:12 pm 

Asked in correct thread

Last edited by immaburr on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm 

immaburr wrote:
I've been seeing the great things that the gbs-control is able to do with the GBS-8200. I was wondering if this might work in my environment.

There's a thread for gbscontrol: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52172&start=3390

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:53 pm 

Would removing all of the input cards from a BVM help it run cooler and increase its lifespan?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:50 pm 

I've got a 1chip-01 SNES that I bought not working, trying to get it going. I see SMT C10 has damaged itself and contents leaked out. Anyone know what replacement that needs?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:31 am 

basketballer wrote:
I've got a 1chip-01 SNES that I bought not working, trying to get it going. I see SMT C10 has damaged itself and contents leaked out. Anyone know what replacement that needs?

Capacitor C10 is a ceramic cap, there's nothing that could've "leaked". Can you show pics?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:31 pm 

Does anyone here, perchance, make custom DE-15/'VGA' (15kHz tho) cables for their consoles? Kinda interested in commissioning a few (one for Saturn, one for PS1, one for PS2 - with 3.5mm audio breakouts. The type of sync doesn't matter, and 75ohm levels would be ideal) for the sake of making my A/V area as compact as can be (with a VGA switcher/matrix of some sort).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:59 pm 

kitty666cats wrote:
Does anyone here, perchance, make custom DE-15/'VGA' (15kHz tho) cables for their consoles? Kinda interested in commissioning a few (one for Saturn, one for PS1, one for PS2 - with 3.5mm audio breakouts. The type of sync doesn't matter, and 75ohm levels would be ideal) for the sake of making my A/V area as compact as can be (with a VGA switcher/matrix of some sort).

I have an Extron VGA Ars switch and I bought all my cables from retro-access. You can use their custom cable builder and select a DE-15 connector, and a 3.5mm audio breakout, though it looks like they're out of stock at the moment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:01 am 

kitty666cats wrote:

Also, if you don't want to solder, you can get these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F9 ... UTF8&psc=1

you can cut the ends off of a console cable and just put the ends into the screw-down terminals. There is a ferrule and a strain relief in the end of the housing so it won't pull out.

They are still $12 plus whatever else for the cable, let's say about $20. It would be an ok solution for a quicky single cable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:24 am 

I don’t make cables, though I know you can order BNC console cables from Retro-Access and DE-15 through their custom builder. I’m considering going with one or the other, though I haven’t decided which one yet. Are there any benefits to DE-15 over SCART apart from it possibly being easier to connect and good VGA switchers being more common/affordable?

I think Extron’s VGA switchers all require CSYNC and output TTL sync too, whereas some of their BNC switchers just pass through whatever you feed them, whether it’s 75 Ohm sync or composite video/luma sync...

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:16 am 

I'm in the process of switching to DE-15 cables in my setup myself, routed in an Extron MVX (slim matrix, sturdy connector, separate audio wires, awesome setup IMO), I already had 2 cables ordered from retro-access and am waiting for her to re-open (guess it should be soon) to order a couple more. I like the cables I currently have and supposedly she improved the casing for the DE-15 connector and optional console-end sync-stripper now, so that's a plus I guess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:30 am 

I'm gonna forego Extron entirely, I'm probably gonna try this passive switcher - I don't need really need 'cysnc', and since this thing is passive it should probably be fine.

Also eyeing the Kramer VP-411DS, just gotta double check what its deal with kHz / sync is.

Good call on those screw terminal shells! Could probably get a cheapo bulk order on AliExpress or something :) Just gotta learn how to throw together a nice clean way to break out audio

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:19 am 

Anyone ever use an insurrection Gamecube HDMI cable with a HDMI to vga converter for use on a VGA CRT monitor such as a Dell?

Does it work? From reading there isn't any information if it would. The few reports I did find said they couldn't get it to sync with a passive adapter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:45 pm 

It won’t work with a passive adapter. Powered adapters work fine.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7908 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264  Next