shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:06 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:44 pm 

I'm looking for a tidy way to extend an s-video input. On my CRT, the only s-video input is on the back, so it's kind of a pain to use. I'd like to extend that (with audio) out to the front, preferably with a little box that I can plug consoles into when I want to use them (I normally would not have anything plugged in). For that, seems like I'd be looking at a switcher even though I don't need the switching functionality. Any suggestions on a decent quality one that has an input on the front? Otherwise I guess I could make a little box with wires coming out the back, but... laziness.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:00 pm 

thebigcheese wrote:
I'm looking for a tidy way to extend an s-video input. On my CRT, the only s-video input is on the back, so it's kind of a pain to use. I'd like to extend that (with audio) out to the front, preferably with a little box that I can plug consoles into when I want to use them (I normally would not have anything plugged in). For that, seems like I'd be looking at a switcher even though I don't need the switching functionality. Any suggestions on a decent quality one that has an input on the front? Otherwise I guess I could make a little box with wires coming out the back, but... laziness.

I did this a couple years ago so I could connect S-Video and composite sources to an RGB/YPbPr decoder that also had its inputs on the back. Looks weren't super important to me, so I ended up using some ~3-foot RCA and S-Video cables, along with female-to-female adapters for each, then the adapters were all bound together with Velcro cable ties to keep them all together. The bundle came around to the front of my setup for easy access. Like I said, it wasn't pretty, but it was functional.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:20 pm 

I have observed that video signal convertors seem to 'choke' when the image becomes white, like when something explodes or a magical effect. They stop outputting a signal while this happens. Why is that? I observed it years ago with a component to VGA converter, and have seen it happen today with a HDMI to VGA converter. The former was powered, while the latter is probably passively powered by the HDMI input.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:50 pm 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The ... _259979856

This is a scanline of all white.
Normally, the video chip locks on to the horizontal sync falling edge, but in cases of sudden dark to white transitions, there is a large voltage swing.
If the signal is not adequately filtered and conditioned, the chip can loose a few of these falling edges, and that causes the dropout.

The problem is well known, and several solutions are usually employed. Yet it still can fail, if the sync signal just isn't clear enough at all times.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 am 

Considering that the HDMI to VGA converter seems to be some unbranded Chinese thing, and that the transition wasn't sudden, it probably doesn't employ any solutions. I wonder if branded converters like HD Fury, Tendak and Portta fare any better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 am 

I'm still terrible with audio gear. Need to get a stereo amp because my display's internal amp is busted. What kind of connector do I need? Is this a port for a common headphone plug or something else? Checking on the monitor itself is a real pain since I'd need to have someone help me move it and replug everything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:52 am 

Can't be 100% sure from the pic but very likely to be a standard 3.5mm audio jack (i.e. a headphone jack). You should be able to just use any pair of headphones to confirm.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:01 pm 

If you get a cheap stereo av receiver from like goodwill, they'll need RCA in, so the likely cable will be a male 3.5mm headphone to male RCA red/white.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:05 pm 

BenoitRen wrote:
the HDMI to VGA converter seems to be some unbranded Chinese thing

I happened to find it on Amazon. The brand seems to be Chnano. Chinese nano? Don't seem to have a website, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:29 pm 

Trying to aquire a Super Famicom 1-chip for a reasonable price. There's a seller who's listed:

Nintendo Super FamiCom SFC Console Good Condition Tested Boxed PA1

I can find no reference to what "PA1" might mean. I'm afraid it's a mispelling of PAL (I'm ebay paranoid), but that couldn't be the case with nothing but Japanese writing all over the console, correct?

This serial would seem to fall within the range of 1-chip units, would it not? I know there are no guarentees, but I doubt the seller is keen on opening the unit to confirm. Waiting to hear back...

https://superfamicom.org/console-serial-database

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:32 pm 

HDgaming42 wrote:
Trying to aquire a Super Famicom 1-chip for a reasonable price. There's a seller who's listed:

Nintendo Super FamiCom SFC Console Good Condition Tested Boxed PA1

I can find no reference to what "PA1" might mean. I'm afraid it's a mispelling of PAL (I'm ebay paranoid), but that couldn't be the case with nothing but Japanese writing all over the console, correct?

This serial would seem to fall within the range of 1-chip units, would it not? I know there are no guarentees, but I doubt the seller is keen on opening the unit to confirm. Waiting to hear back...

https://superfamicom.org/console-serial-database

Thanks!

not sure if it's the case here, but I've noticed a trend of asian ebay sellers putting seemingly nonsensical 2-3 character alphanumeric codes at the end of their listings

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 pm 

The PA1 is certainly just an identifier for the seller.

BUT that serial certainly is NOT a 1CHIP SFC. Japanese 1CHIP units have a S249 or S25 at the start of their serial number. Even S248 units are confirmed to be no 1CHIP units yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:28 pm 

BenoitRen wrote:
Considering that the HDMI to VGA converter seems to be some unbranded Chinese thing, and that the transition wasn't sudden, it probably doesn't employ any solutions. I wonder if branded converters like HD Fury, Tendak and Portta fare any better.

The HDMI to VGA should definitely not have issues like that.
If you loose picture by the HDMI source showing a white image, the device is probably faulty (or underpowered).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:46 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
The PA1 is certainly just an identifier for the seller.

BUT that serial certainly is NOT a 1CHIP SFC. Japanese 1CHIP units have a S249 or S25 at the start of their serial number. Even S248 units are confirmed to be no 1CHIP units yet.

I clearly have no idea how to interpret that serial # database data...

Does the CPU/PPU1/PPU2 combination have to read 2/1/3? It seems like 0/0/0 is the only other entry (more likely the default and simply not provided). I don't see any pattern whatsoever on that site between SFC serials between the cutoffs you've mentioned...

How is one to determine which ones are 1-chip? Is there an alternate resource?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:59 pm 

Quote:
I clearly have no idea how to interpret that serial # database data...

me neither, just use this one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/ ... utput=html

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:22 pm 

Any PS2 experts here?

I haven't played PS2 for a long while, but has it always have noisy picture? I'm playing through RGB, using Retro-Access BNC cables, to a PVM, with the PS2 modded for CSync (with C300PSI's mod), and I'm getting a lot of horizontal noise. (Yes, I've tried multiple cables as well). It's really noticeable on the save screen for Persona 4, especially when I turn my PVM into Blue-only mode. I can see the noise through the OSSC as well, but at least I can turn on the LPF to help a bit. Is the PS2 just always like that and I've never noticed?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:50 pm 

lechu wrote:
Any PS2 experts here?

I haven't played PS2 for a long while, but has it always have noisy picture? I'm playing through RGB, using Retro-Access BNC cables, to a PVM, with the PS2 modded for CSync (with C300PSI's mod), and I'm getting a lot of horizontal noise. (Yes, I've tried multiple cables as well). It's really noticeable on the save screen for Persona 4, especially when I turn my PVM into Blue-only mode. I can see the noise through the OSSC as well, but at least I can turn on the LPF to help a bit. Is the PS2 just always like that and I've never noticed?

I'm not familiar with the csync mod, but I have 3 or 4 modded PS2's with HDD's, using a variety of RGB SCART (with and without sync stripper), Sony OEM Component, HD Retrovision component cables, etc. and they're all very clean video output. I have a feeling it's your individual PS2 and/or cable and/or the mod itself.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:44 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:

I'm not familiar with the csync mod

my understanding is that, when the PS2 is in RGB mode, anything 480p/1080i is output with SoG (csync and luma are disabled). the csync mod is supposed to create support for csync in those modes for ppl that have 480p PVMs (or PC monitors).

i agree that my stock PS2 is sharp as a tack and it's either OPs particular unit or a problem with the mod.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:54 am 

Kez wrote:
Can't be 100% sure from the pic but very likely to be a standard 3.5mm audio jack (i.e. a headphone jack). You should be able to just use any pair of headphones to confirm.

Einzelherz wrote:
If you get a cheap stereo av receiver from like goodwill, they'll need RCA in, so the likely cable will be a male 3.5mm headphone to male RCA red/white.

Yeah it's a standard 3.5mm audio plug. Had the right cables lying around. Thanks guys

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:27 pm 

When connecting to a monitor that takes YPbPr over its VGA input, is there any disadvantage of using a 4BNC/5BNC to DSub 15 adapter instead of a 3RCA to DSub15 adapter? I want to connect a component video source to my monitor and I have a lot of 4/5BNC to DSub15 adapters lying around, and I’m worried that the cheap 3RCA to DSub15 adapters I see online could hurt the image quality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:27 am 

diamondtron wrote:
When connecting to a monitor that takes YPbPr over its VGA input, is there any disadvantage of using a 4BNC/5BNC to DSub 15 adapter instead of a 3RCA to DSub15 adapter? I want to connect a component video source to my monitor and I have a lot of 4/5BNC to DSub15 adapters lying around, and I’m worried that the cheap 3RCA to DSub15 adapters I see online could hurt the image quality.

no harm in that

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:34 pm 

Question - I'd like to use my PS4 on a Sony BVM 201FU. Been doing some research but wanted to ask the experts here to make sure I've got it all sorted or correct.

My chain would (theoretically) be as follows: PS4 in safe mode > HDMI to VGA Tendak converter > VGA input via Extron 160xi > BNC output from Extron as RGBs to Sony BVM.

Would this work? What do I need to use for the Sync output? Just a regular yellow composite cable with BNC? Still need to figure out audio too.

I know this is entirely unnecessary but I think it would be fun to play the new MegaMan Zero/ZX Collection on the PS4 :D

Any tips / suggestions?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:49 pm 

MysticSynergy wrote:
Question - I'd like to use my PS4 on a Sony BVM 201FU. Been doing some research but wanted to ask the experts here to make sure I've got it all sorted or correct.

My chain would (theoretically) be as follows: PS4 in safe mode > HDMI to VGA Tendak converter > VGA input via Extron 160xi > BNC output from Extron as RGBs to Sony BVM.

Would this work? What do I need to use for the Sync output? Just a regular yellow composite cable with BNC? Still need to figure out audio too.

I know this is entirely unnecessary but I think it would be fun to play the new MegaMan Zero/ZX Collection on the PS4 :D

Any tips / suggestions?

That chain sounds like it should work fine. Regarding wiring of sync, any BNC cable should work fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:27 pm 

will someone be able to reply asap please

i bought a JP 360 (arcade model) but it is without a power supply. i am in north america. can i just go grab a north american arcade power supply to use on the JP 360 or will it damage the console?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:45 pm 

Please check the stickied NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:51 pm 

BenoitRen wrote:

360 consoles use external power, so you can use a power supply in your own region on a foreign console without any need for conversion. Hong Kong/Chinese Xbox 360s ship with 220v power supplies, while consoles from Japan ship with 110v power supplies.

so then i guess i am good? this is what i see from the bolded. i am dealing with an arcade model (1st) jp 360 and arcade model US power supply.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:51 pm 

BenoitRen wrote:

360 consoles use external power, so you can use a power supply in your own region on a foreign console without any need for conversion. Hong Kong/Chinese Xbox 360s ship with 220v power supplies, while consoles from Japan ship with 110v power supplies.

so then i guess i am good? this is what i see from the bolded. i am dealing with an arcade model (1st) jp 360 and arcade model US power supply.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:45 am 

well I found a 100v - 127v power supply and it works with my JP 360. all is good!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:44 am 

Does anyone have a Crestron HD-Scaler? How do I change the settings without the remote or at least get the remote working? I bought a remote seperately on eBay and my scaler refuses to pick it up. My issue is that the scaler is stuck in 1080i output. I need to change it to 1080p and I've looked all over the Toolbox software for a possible way to force it to change but no avail, plus there's almost no information on it after looking on Google. I've also made sure the battery was properly installed and the IR laser was firing with a camera.

EDIT: I can confirm the scaler works in the first place. It picks up my OSSC, it's just that I can't get the scaler's menu OSD to pop up with the remote.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:14 am 

TyMiles2012 wrote:
Does anyone have a Crestron HD-Scaler? How do I change the settings without the remote or at least get the remote working? I bought a remote seperately on eBay and my scaler refuses to pick it up. My issue is that the scaler is stuck in 1080i output. I need to change it to 1080p and I've looked all over the Toolbox software for a possible way to force it to change but no avail, plus there's almost no information on it after looking on Google. I've also made sure the battery was properly installed and the IR laser was firing with a camera.

EDIT: I can confirm the scaler works in the first place. It picks up my OSSC, it's just that I can't get the scaler's menu OSD to pop up with the remote.

I have one (actually 3) and I bought remotes separately and they all worked right away no config required. You might have a non working remote. The hardware reset button should put it back into a progressive mode. I've never found a way to change any settings without a remote unfortunately.

Last edited by strayan on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254 ... 260  Next