shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:56 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 am 

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
anyone know if the Xplorer 64 works with ntsc carts and an ntsc console??

Yes I have used it on a Japanese console until I bricked it with a firmware update. Never update the firmware on the Xplorers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:10 am 

I have a KVM switch for a bunch of desktops that outputs VGA to a really old Samsung TV (that has a VGA input). I also have a bluray and other HDMI devices plugged in which are capable of 1080p. So my TV has both VGA and HDMI inputs, but is 720p. I want to upgrade the TV, but mainly use it for the VGA inputs, and I don't really see many with both. I'm looking for at least 1080p, >=32", at least 3 HDMI, and COAX cable input would be a nice addition. I actually have a 40" that matches this, but instead of VGA, it has component. Is there an elegant way to transcode VGA to component and keep it 1080p viable?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 am 

paulb_nl wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
anyone know if the Xplorer 64 works with ntsc carts and an ntsc console??

Yes I have used it on a Japanese console until I bricked it with a firmware update. Never update the firmware on the Xplorers.

so you used it on a japanese console with japanese games? basically my gameshark broke and your word about it working would be appreciated (because it seems like a better device than GS). im ready to import one from the UK.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:14 pm 

Xer Xian wrote:
pedroTFP wrote:
I got just got a DC 576i/480p RGB cable (retrogamingcablesUK), works great with 15khz Monitor/FrameMeister.
Now I got a PVM that is 480p cable (PVM 20m7mde), on the monitor back panel I have RGB/Component BNC connectors.
A simple scart to BNC adapter would do the work in order to get 480p working with games that support VGA?
Do I need ext sync/sync stripper/whatever?

Nope, just the bnc adapter.

There's very little documentation on the 20M7MDE on the internet, but it looks like it performs frame doubling on 15kHz sources (480i/576i). It'd be better to stick to 31kHz with it

Thanks.
Yes, I got it for 31khz only, I have a couple of 20L2s for 15khz.
I was considering a BVM D20 to have an all-in-one solution but the best I found was 900€... too much for my pocket. ^^’

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:40 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
I have a KVM switch for a bunch of desktops that outputs VGA to a really old Samsung TV (that has a VGA input). I also have a bluray and other HDMI devices plugged in which are capable of 1080p. So my TV has both VGA and HDMI inputs, but is 720p. I want to upgrade the TV, but mainly use it for the VGA inputs, and I don't really see many with both. I'm looking for at least 1080p, >=32", at least 3 HDMI, and COAX cable input would be a nice addition. I actually have a 40" that matches this, but instead of VGA, it has component. Is there an elegant way to transcode VGA to component and keep it 1080p viable?

Hey all, I could really use some advice on this before I go out and buy a new TV.

TLDR: How to convert 1080p VGA to Component?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:08 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

Hey all, I could really use some advice on this before I go out and buy a new TV.

I don't think there's anything readily-available. you'll have an easier time going from VGA to HDMI; you could use an OSSC, if you already have one, or you could pick up a VGA to HDMI converter from the likes of Portta or UGREEN. (I've not tested either of these; I just know that they're from brands that tend to be decent.)

(Also came across this MiniHDMI-to-HDMI/VGA adapter, which might be good for those that want to split the same-resolution output from an UltraHDMI or DCHDMI between a CRT and a flat panel.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:29 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
How to convert 1080p VGA to Component?

To what end? Most displays will not accept "more" than 720p over component.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:49 pm 

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
so you used it on a japanese console with japanese games? basically my gameshark broke and your word about it working would be appreciated (because it seems like a better device than GS). im ready to import one from the UK.

I used it with Japanese and US games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:05 pm 

orange808 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
How to convert 1080p VGA to Component?

To what end? Most displays will not accept "more" than 720p over component.

It doesn't have to be I suppose. I'd like a TV (instead of a pricey monitor) that will accept my VGA cable. Whether that's directly from VGA or converted to something doesn't matter. I'd also like as many free HDMI as possible to also use it with boxes I already have on the TV. I currently have connected an old Samsung TV that has 3x HDMI and a VGA input, but maxes out at 720p. I was hoping I could get a 1080p, even if it doesn't make the VGA source any better, it will be better for the bluray I have connected. But if htere's a perfect TV that has the combination I'm looking for, I'm open to hearing about it.

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

I don't think there's anything readily-available. you'll have an easier time going from VGA to HDMI; you could use an OSSC, if you already have one, or you could pick up a VGA to HDMI converter from the likes of Portta or UGREEN. (I've not tested either of these; I just know that they're from brands that tend to be decent.)

(Also came across this MiniHDMI-to-HDMI/VGA adapter, which might be good for those that want to split the same-resolution output from an UltraHDMI or DCHDMI between a CRT and a flat panel.)

I have an OSSC, a RetroTunk, and a Portta converter, but the first two are used in another room, and the Portta is HDMI output. The TV I was going to move into this system only has 2x HDMI and 1x Component, which is why I wanted to try to utilize the component. So even though it's 1080p, I realize my old PCs are not, so would make a perfect fit for the component IN.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:23 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

I have an OSSC, a RetroTunk, and a Portta converter, but the first two are used in another room, and the Portta is HDMI output. The TV I was going to move into this system only has 2x HDMI and 1x Component, which is why I wanted to try to utilize the component. So even though it's 1080p, I realize my old PCs are not, so would make a perfect fit for the component IN.

I'm sorry; I completely forgot about the Retrotek VGACTV2; I think that's what you're looking for. You might need a 3.5mm TRS to stereo RCA cable or adapter for audio. Here's the thread for Retrotek products: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65050

Beyond that, there really isn't much for going directly from RGBHV to YPbPr; most converters these days are for converting either to or from HDMI, since that's the de facto standard now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:34 pm 

paulb_nl wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:

wicked

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:12 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

I'm sorry; I completely forgot about the Retrotek VGACTV2; I think that's what you're looking for. You might need a 3.5mm TRS to stereo RCA cable or adapter for audio. Here's the thread for Retrotek products: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65050

Beyond that, there really isn't much for going directly from RGBHV to YPbPr; most converters these days are for converting either to or from HDMI, since that's the de facto standard now.

Well, we'll see if it's any good. Better than waiting for the AA to show up on Ebay for a decent price. I know there were weird color issues discussed in that thread. Hope I don't see it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:23 am 

I have a weird question:

I’m trying to film the ‘combing effect’ that is visible when weave deinterlacing is in use. What is the easiest way to create this effect? Would a linedoubler like the Extron Andora be an option if I could find one? Are there any other devices that could do it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 am 

Do you actually need to film it ? You can capture interlaced and apply a simple weave filter. Might be easier.

If you want the effect on a TV coming from a real system you need processor that you can set the 2:2 weaving (forced film mode). NTSC film mode won't give you the exact same effect.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 am 

Fudoh wrote:
Do you actually need to film it ? You can capture interlaced and apply a simple weave filter. Might be easier.

If you want the effect on a TV coming from a real system you need processor that you can set the 2:2 weaving (forced film mode). NTSC film mode won't give you the exact same effect.

Yeah, I wanted to cap it from a real system. Do you know any processors that will do this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:37 am 

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
paulb_nl wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:

wicked

On N64, the ntsc regions use the same lockout code. A few more areas like Korea and Brazil are mostly compatible too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:31 am 

ldeveraux wrote:

Manual says it takes 1920x1080 over VGA and has 4 HDMI ports:

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mode ... 650A1FXXY/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 pm 

Hi your opions on the SIGMA AV-7000 supergun with stick please! I can get one on in new cond. Thanks!

Is the picture quality awesome? Since you cant control RGB levels?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244