shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:44 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 231  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:33 pm 

Revolver Ocelot wrote:
Found a good offer for us ntsc ps1. Could not resist to add it to my collection. Shopping for cables for it now already. Does the PS1 and the Framemeister work together with all types of RGB scart cables well together or should I chose CSYNC over Sync on Luma or vis si versa?

The best you'll get out of the PS1 (all models) without a hard mod is RGBS with sync-on-luma. Any PS1 CSync cables that you see will have an inline sync stripper, which can cause conflicts with devices like the gscartsw; so, if you don't absolutely need clean composite sync, go with sync-on-luma.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:59 am 

What's the best way to get my S-video modified Atari 7800 installed in my switching system? I have SCART switches, but don't know if the S-video to SCART converters are very good. I tried my Retrotink, but can't seem to get video output. I tried various S-Video to HDMI converters, but those have a constant display output, so they always take priority in an auto switching system. I even went through my Extron and used VGA cable to the OSSC, but the same thing exists with always on. Is there any simple solution I'm overlooking?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:02 am 

ldeveraux wrote:
What's the best way to get my S-video modified Atari 7800 installed in my switching system? I have SCART switches, but don't know if the S-video to SCART converters are very good. I tried my Retrotink, but can't seem to get video output. I tried various S-Video to HDMI converters, but those have a constant display output, so they always take priority in an auto switching system. I even went through my Extron and used VGA cable to the OSSC, but the same thing exists with always on. Is there any simple solution I'm overlooking?

Could it be the sync signal from your mod?

Are you testing using 7800 carts? AFAIK, the 7800 carts provide a nice standard refresh rate. I would test using one of those first.

About the 2600/VCS:
2600 carts will be much more tricky. The video signal will often vary between individual carts--and sometimes the output signal will change during the games. The guaranteed way to play 2600 software is to add a machine with frame rate conversion--before the OSSC. Although, if you're going to add latency and frame rate conversion, you might be happier just building a nice Stella setup.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:19 am 

orange808 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

Could it be the sync signal from your mod?

Are you testing using 7800 carts? AFAIK, the 7800 carts provide a nice standard refresh rate. I would test using one of those first.

About the 2600/VCS:
2600 carts will be much more tricky. The video signal will often vary between individual carts--and sometimes the output signal will change during the games. The guaranteed way to play 2600 software is to add a machine with frame rate conversion--before the OSSC. Although, if you're going to add latency and frame rate conversion, you might be happier just building a nice Stella setup.

It could be the signal. I contacted the mod developer and he has no experience with the Retrotink, which is why I tried the other converters. RT would have been perfect in this instance, strange the signal wouldn't transfer. It still doesn't solve the "always on" issue, though I don't use the 7800 much, so I could just turn the converter off when not in use.

I tested the system with the 7800 version of Choplifter, so it should be good?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 pm 

If I mod an original backwards compatible PS2 to play imports, will it also play PS1 imports as well?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:42 pm 

Lord British wrote:
If I mod an original backwards compatible PS2 to play imports, will it also play PS1 imports as well?

yep, it's a fairly challenging mod, but worth it IMO

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:
Lord British wrote:

Any specifics on what to purchase or what to do? If you post a link that's fine too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:01 pm 

Lord British wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
Lord British wrote:

Any specifics on what to purchase or what to do? If you post a link that's fine too.

https://assemblergames.com/threads/zer0-2k11s-mod-chip-and-installation-shop.43131/

He's in Canada and sells the Modbo 4 which is a pretty good Matrix Infinity clone. If you can find an authentic MI, even better. Instructions are linked from that thread, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you buy anything.

If you're in the UK or Europe, this is your man: https://assemblergames.com/threads/for-sale-modding-parts-chips-etc.39971/

Here's a video of the installation, not a full tutorial but a great overview, from our own Voultar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFl9C4u4bOM

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:07 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:

He's in Canada and sells the Modbo 4 which is a pretty good Matrix Infinity clone. If you can find an authentic MI, even better. Instructions are linked from that thread, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you buy anything.

If you're in the UK or Europe, this is your man: https://assemblergames.com/threads/for-sale-modding-parts-chips-etc.39971/

Here's a video of the installation, not a full tutorial but a great overview, from our own Voultar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFl9C4u4bOM

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 pm 

I've got an Extron VSC 700 en route that I want to use to downscale component 480p+ from Xbox, GC, etc. to run on my PVM. I looked at the manual and saw that it doesn't seem to take Component as an input, only as an output: https://www.extron.com/download/files/u ... 0DrevA.pdf

Will it work with component? If not, what's the best way to get it in the chain (ideally without any additional power cables)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:48 pm 

No, you can only use RGB sources with the VSC700.

You know that the VSC700 does not offer any advantage over the native 480i output from those systems. What's your plan with this setup?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:00 pm 

Fudoh wrote:

You know that the VSC700 does not offer any advantage over the native 480i output from those systems. What's your plan with this setup?

I was following your guide, to put a cheaper RGB box in the chain after the VSC, as Emotias appear to have crept up in price. The plan here is to record footage in 480p while downscaling to 480i (or eventually 240p).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:43 pm 

SavagePencil wrote:
Fudoh wrote:

I was following your guide, to put a cheaper RGB box in the chain after the VSC, as Emotias appear to have crept up in price. The plan here is to record footage in 480p while downscaling to 480i (or eventually 240p).

My understanding is that you could also have used a Corio2, which, depending on the model, could handle pretty much any analogue video format besides RF for both input and output, and can be configured to output 240p.

What advantage would the VSC700 have over a Corio2? Faster downscaling? Easier configuration?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:46 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
What advantage would the VSC700 have over a Corio2? Faster downscaling? Easier configuration?

In a nutshell, yes. But they aren't exactly in the same league since the VSC doesn't do 240p. The fact that it lacks a component input isn't that relevant to me personally (only consoles that are stuck with Component for 480p output are the GC and Wii). Edit: The first Xbox would be another. Still, downscaling doesn't make a lot of sense for these systems (unless used for emulation).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:06 pm 

Xer Xian wrote:
Still, downscaling doesn't make a lot of sense for these systems (unless used for emulation).

If we're talking about simply playing these systems on a 480i display, I agree with you; however, it sounds like the goal is to split the video between a capture card and an SD-only CRT, and run the games at 480p for the benefit of capture.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:05 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
Xer Xian wrote:
Still, downscaling doesn't make a lot of sense for these systems (unless used for emulation).

If we're talking about simply playing these systems on a 480i display, I agree with you; however, it sounds like the goal is to split the video between a capture card and an SD-only CRT, and run the games at 480p for the benefit of capture.

Correct. I'm not aghast at playing in 480i, but I do like capturing at 480p.

Back to my original Q: easy way to get component into RGBS/RGsB/RGBHV?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:40 pm 

SavagePencil wrote:
easy way to get component into RGBS/RGsB/RGBHV?

Easiest way would be to get a YPbPr to HDMI converter and an HDMI to RGBHV/VGA converter and put them together. If you need RGsB or RGBS output, tack on an Extron RGB interface.

There really aren't many choices for a clean way to convert YPbPr to RGB. There are plenty of RGB-to-YPbPr converters, but not so many YPbPr-to-RGB. Your choices then are pretty much:
a) Get a GBS-8xxx and mod it as previously mentioned; or
b) Have a sizeable budget and the patience for a working Kramer FC-4040 (Or a 4046 if you don't care about 240p support) to appear on eBay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:45 pm 

FYI: Beware of Garo.

Details are out there and easy to find. Search is your friend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:15 pm 

orange808 wrote:

Actually, now that you mention it, I have access to both variants of Garo. This is probably a good avenue for me to explore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:42 pm 

SavagePencil wrote:
orange808 wrote:

Actually, now that you mention it, I have access to both variants of Garo. This is probably a good avenue for me to explore.

No. I apologise if there is a language barrier or I was unclear.

I did NOT recommend Garo to you. I am not happy with my Garo.

If you get one, that's your choice, but "beware" means it might NOT be a good solution.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:01 pm 

Point taken! It may offer me a short term solution to see if I can live with what the VSC 700 outputs. I may have to go in for a VSC 900 instead.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:12 am 

I have an Xbox 360. I use VGA for 480p>240p downscaling to CRTs, and HDMI when I play it on my 4K TV (in 720p mainly). I'm getting sick of swapping cables, and both can't be plugged in at once (it defaults to HDMI).

If I want to have HDMI plugged in all the time, is there any detriment to using a quality DAC like the Tendak HDMI>VGA dongle, or a HDFury 2 or HDFury 3 (I have all those devices)? Which of those would be the best? I can't do a proper back-and-forth comparison quick enough between HDMI and VGA to really tell myself.

I also want to do this because when I run the 360 over HDMI my flatscreen shows a properly centered and scaled image, with the proper brightness and contrast - no guesswork/calibration is needed unlike when I use CRT's. My CRT's I have to adjust for overscan (for each different resolution, individually, even) and I can't exactly tell where the edge of the image should be. To compound that, I'm running all sorts of device chains to my different CRT's - I have signals running through everything from an Extron RGB (which has it's own centering and brightness controls), to a Corio2, OSSC, DSC 301 HD, RGBS>YPbPr converters, etc. etc. -- several going through multiple devices at once, which just makes it a bit more of a pain to tune everything. ...So having the 4K TV over HDMI running at the same time as the CRT's will give me a decent baseline I think.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:18 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
If I want to have HDMI plugged in all the time, is there any detriment to using a quality DAC like the Tendak HDMI>VGA dongle, or a HDFury 2 or HDFury 3 (I have all those devices)? Which of those would be the best? I can't do a proper back-and-forth comparison quick enough between HDMI and VGA to really tell myself.

If there are any aberrations from such a DAC, I don't think you'll notice on the CRT.

I'd probably run one output of the HDMI splitter (Or secondary output from an AVR?) to an audio extractor, then that to a Corio2 (via an HDMI to VGA adapter if needed), and then the Corio2 to the CRT.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:34 am 

I heartily recommend the Portta HDMI to VGA. I'm my testing I've found no black crush or ringing. And verified no lag

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:06 am 

I use this https://www.amazon.com.au/UGREEN-Adapte ... cs&sr=1-55

Very happy with it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:20 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
If there are any aberrations from such a DAC, I don't think you'll notice on the CRT.

I'd probably run one output of the HDMI splitter (Or secondary output from an AVR?) to an audio extractor, then that to a Corio2 (via an HDMI to VGA adapter if needed), and then the Corio2 to the CRT.

Good to know - thanks. I was also thinking that the signal would be fine on a CRT. I only really notice defects when I upscale to my flatscreen – CRT's seem to give me a nice and clean picture for the most part.

For the splitter for the HDMI signal, I'll have to diagram everything out. I've been working on my Extron SMX switcher lately, which I use mostly as a HDMI matrix switch:

So on that I'll need to do something like: Xbox 360 HDMI > Extron SMX > then 2x HDMI outs: one to HDFury 3 (to convert to VGA/RGBHV), the other to my 4K TV. Then I'll need to run a RGBHV line back to the Extron Crosspoint switcher which I use for my analog signals (that's also where the Corio2's are, and how I throw the signal to my SD and HD CRT monitors).

Audio out is going to be a pain. I need to have it go both into the Extron SMX switch (so when I throw that signal to one of the devices in that rack it'll have audio), and also back into the Crosspoint as well. All those DAC's I own have stereo audio out (via 3.5mm minijack) so that part is taken care of at least.

maxtherabbit wrote:
I heartily recommend the Portta HDMI to VGA. I'm my testing I've found no black crush or ringing. And verified no lag

If I have issues with my other ones I'll try that - but with 3x of them I hope I'll be ok. The HDFury 3's manual says "Precise black levels - no black crush in any standard mode", and a whole bunch of other features I don't even understand from the manual lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:54 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

If I have issues with my other ones I'll try that - but with 3x of them I hope I'll be ok. The HDFury 3's manual says "Precise black levels - no black crush in any standard mode", and a whole bunch of other features I don't even understand from the manual lol.

I also have the Portta converter, and, although I've only used it briefly for some testing, I've had no issues with it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:30 pm 

Sorry for the reboot, still looking for a clue here:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:37 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:

If your switcher works based on priority, like the Vorke HD41Pro switchers that are recommended for OSSC use, then you should be able to simply plug it into the highest-numbered (lowest-priority) input, and then powering-on anything on a higher-priority port should take over.

If you have a budget and patience, you could track down something like a Kramer FC-4040 or an FC-4044, both of which can decode composite and S-Video to RGB. You could also get an FC-4046, but that one has newer electronics that do not understand/respect 240p, whereas the earlier models will handle 240p just fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:49 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

If your switcher works based on priority, like the Vorke HD41Pro switchers that are recommended for OSSC use, then you should be able to simply plug it into the highest-numbered (lowest-priority) input, and then powering-on anything on a higher-priority port should take over.

If you have a budget and patience, you could track down something like a Kramer FC-4040 or an FC-4044, both of which can decode composite and S-Video to RGB. You could also get an FC-4046, but that one has newer electronics that do not understand/respect 240p, whereas the earlier models will handle 240p just fine.

Great info, thanks! I certainly have the time, I'm in little rush to play RGB 7800 games :wink:

I tried the RetroTink again, this time adjusting the pot on the S-Video board, and was able to get a signal. So video and audio both work, with a catch. After a minute or so of playing, the screen goes grey, black, and white and I get waves across the screen. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but I'll attach here. I wonder if one of the settings is causing this? I've tried all combinations of smoothing and input, but they don't seem to make it better. I've never been able to get other inputs working properly, so I wonder if something is wrong with the RT?
https://imgur.com/a/mI3vtUp

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 231  Next