Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HDgaming42

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by HDgaming42 »

nmalinoski wrote:
HDgaming42 wrote:OMG, I think I've solved it! It seems the model I bought can OUTPUT RGBS, yet it can only take in RGBHV or RGsB or RsGsBs. In order to INPUT RGBS I would have needed to buy the YUV A version of the unit. How...intuitive.

Can someone confirm I'm reading this correctly?

[snip]
You're reading it correctly, but I think it's wrong. Looking at the manual here (not the setup guide), that graphic (page QS-1) has "DA2 / 4 / 6 RGBHV" labeling on the first three, and the last, the grey-shaded one, is labeled DA6 YUV A; meaning, if you have the RGBHV version, you can connect and use all of RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, RsGsBs, and YPbPr; just wire it as shown.

Also take a closer look at the grey-shaded box in the copy you attached; that BNC layout is different to the RGBHV one. Just go by whichever layout matches yours.
I'd find it very odd if RGBS isn't accepted. Strange that the two manuals aren't in agreement though--maybe I'll shoot an email to extron to tell them about the discrepancy.
Kez

Post by Kez »

In my experience Extron devices can be quite picky about sync, not sure about this one but they often need TTL level CSYNC. If you're having issues I would check that your sync is correct first.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

General capacitor replacement questions:

If swapping ceramics to poly caps (in audio circuits) do I just need to maintain (or increase) the capacitance?

Are capacitors directional?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Einzelherz wrote:General capacitor replacement questions:

If swapping ceramics to poly caps (in audio circuits) do I just need to maintain (or increase) the capacitance?

Are capacitors directional?
Caps are directional. Generally speaking (not specific to materials or application), I believe you want to match on capacitance, and you need to match or exceed voltage rating.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Some caps are directional, some aren't. Polypropylene caps and ceramics aren't really directional, though some will have markings on them indicating which pole is the outer foil, which is better connected toward ground.
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Voultar's SNES RGB amp is for 1-CHIP systems... However, I'm interested in a pre-1-CHIP SNES RGB amp that fixes the soft video output of the original models. Will such a RGB amp be made? Because, most people who have a SNES own one that is non-1-CHIP, think about what a big opportunity this would be to make a fat bit of dough!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Logan Jones wrote:Voultar's SNES RGB amp is for 1-CHIP systems... However, I'm interested in a pre-1-CHIP SNES RGB amp that fixes the soft video output of the original models. Will such a RGB amp be made? Because, most people who have a SNES own one that is non-1-CHIP, think about what a big opportunity this would be to make a fat bit of dough!
it's been tried, and the results were pretty suboptimal

your best bet is running that 3 chip through an OSSC and using the "reverse-LPF" post processing filter - on mine I find best results around a value of 2-3
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Quick question - what does a CoreGrafx display if you power it on with either no game, or a US game?

I'm getting a white screen in both instances--is that expected?

I just received my unit from Japan and only have US games so I can't actually test it yet. Thanks!
nissling

Post by nissling »

I don't know about the CoreGrafx but my CoreGrafx 2 mostly shows a white or pink image whenever there's nothing in it that the console cannot boot. Think I've gotten a green screen too at some point, haven't used my PCE for a very long time.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Logan Jones wrote:Voultar's SNES RGB amp is for 1-CHIP systems... However, I'm interested in a pre-1-CHIP SNES RGB amp that fixes the soft video output of the original models. Will such a RGB amp be made? Because, most people who have a SNES own one that is non-1-CHIP, think about what a big opportunity this would be to make a fat bit of dough!
You can read about why the output is blurry here: https://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/snesblur.html
The problem is in the PPU and cannot really be fixed.
Allthough there exists a proposed mod done by a japanese guy, people like Borti have tried it and found it unsatisfactory.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

nissling wrote:I don't know about the CoreGrafx but my CoreGrafx 2 mostly shows a white or pink image whenever there's nothing in it that the console cannot boot. Think I've gotten a green screen too at some point, haven't used my PCE for a very long time.
Thanks! :)
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Shmups PM system:

If I have messages stuck in my "outbox" folder, does that imply the recipient hasn't opened them? Or do I need to do something to get them moving? Thanks!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If I have messages stuck in my "outbox" folder, does that imply the recipient hasn't opened them?
yes, that exactly.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

HDgaming42 wrote:
nissling wrote:I don't know about the CoreGrafx but my CoreGrafx 2 mostly shows a white or pink image whenever there's nothing in it that the console cannot boot. Think I've gotten a green screen too at some point, haven't used my PCE for a very long time.
Thanks! :)
IIRC my CoreGrafx I always shows a white screen.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

I have a DVDO Edge kicking around somewhere and due to some setup changes i need an HDMI switcher.
Is the DVDO good for a PS3\360\Switch\WiiU\PS4 PRO?

If i recall correctly it should handle everything up to the PS4, but the 4k stuff and HDR, i'm not so sure.

Any thoughts or cheap alternatives i might consider?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you really just need a switcher, I wouldn't use a full blown scaler, especially since the DVDO doesn't offer passthrouh modes, so you're always looking at an internal reduction to 4:2:2 color sampling.

If you want a solid switch, get the VORKE recommend in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

I had checked the thread before but didn't find units for sale in Europe.
It seems Amazon.de has some.

I'll get on it.

Thanks.
VariaSuit

Post by VariaSuit »

My SNES has a redder picture since I installed an RGB mod. Is that normal? If not, how do I troubleshoot this?

Edit: This post got lost in the modqueue for a while so made a post here with more info.
Last edited by VariaSuit on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

There is an old thread on the Neo-Geo forums about using a 12V/5V power supply in place of the Neo Geo CD's original 10V/5V one, and the OP says he got away with just putting 12V directly onto the 10V rail and leaving it like that for over a year (no idea how many actual hours of on-time, though).

Does anyone have experience with this?

I have a CDZ that has given me trouble since day one, and after so many attempts at other fixes that didn't help (new lens, complete recap, removing bottom shielding) I'd like to try a different PSU. The original PSU supplies both 10V and 5V; putting 12V on the 10V line would be convenient, since 12V/5V supplies are super common and cheap. However, for obvious reasons, it also seems dangerous.

I can't necessarily just stick a 7810 regulator on the 12V line since the 7810 datasheet says it needs 12.5V at the input to maintain 10V at the output. What I could do, though, is get a 10V SMPS with a really high amp rating and use some sort of DC-DC converter to get 5V off of that. It's just a bit of a pain. (The power consumption of the system is way too high to use a linear regulator like a 7805.)

Thoughts?
Last edited by SamIAm on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Is it possible to disable TMSS on a JVC X'Eye? Either by editing the BIOS or transplanting a first-gen Genesis BIOS.

Also, are you still unable to play Master System games on a JVC X'Eye using Everdrive flashcarts?

And finally, does the JVC X'Eye sync with the BKM-68X card?
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

GeneraLight wrote:Is it possible to disable TMSS on a JVC X'Eye? Either by editing the BIOS or transplanting a first-gen Genesis BIOS.
The TMSS isn't in the BIOS since the X'Eye BIOS is only used for the CD side and the Genesis/MD actually lacks a BIOS. The TMSS code is stored within the I/O controller which is a separate chip on pre-VA7 model 1 consoles, and is part of the GOAC (Genesis On A Chip) used on later consoles including the X'Eye.

This Sega-16 thread has details on how to build a circuit that will disable the TMSS: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... -TMSS-help
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Kez wrote:In my experience Extron devices can be quite picky about sync, not sure about this one but they often need TTL level CSYNC. If you're having issues I would check that your sync is correct first.
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried routing through my crosspoint into the DA and still no love. (I'm under the impression Crosspoints always output TTL)
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Can anyone recommend a good S-video cable for the N64? I know most use SCART/HDMI now, but I like to keep my consoles stock so in my case S-video on a CRT is sufficient. The official ones are pricey, and the Monster cables are hard to find. Any good readily available cables (that aren't just composite video over an s-vid connection)?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I had decent luck with random ones on ebay. Just make sure they don't also have a composite line and they're probably fine.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GojiFan90 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good S-video cable for the N64? I know most use SCART/HDMI now, but I like to keep my consoles stock so in my case S-video on a CRT is sufficient. The official ones are pricey, and the Monster cables are hard to find. Any good readily available cables (that aren't just composite video over an s-vid connection)?
Stay away from anything that is combo S-Video/CVBS, as those are typically as you describe--just CVBS bridged onto the S-Video connector.

thefoo.83 is known for making quality, shielded S-Video cables for the N64; he has versions for NTSC and PAL consoles. If you don't see any for sale in his eBay store, PM him and ask.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

nmalinoski wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:Can anyone recommend a good S-video cable for the N64? I know most use SCART/HDMI now, but I like to keep my consoles stock so in my case S-video on a CRT is sufficient. The official ones are pricey, and the Monster cables are hard to find. Any good readily available cables (that aren't just composite video over an s-vid connection)?
Stay away from anything that is combo S-Video/CVBS, as those are typically as you describe--just CVBS bridged onto the S-Video connector.

thefoo.83 is known for making quality, shielded S-Video cables for the N64; he has versions for NTSC and PAL consoles. If you don't see any for sale in his eBay store, PM him and ask.
Thanks for that. I've seen his stuff for sale before. Shipping from Poland to the states isn't cheap, but still about half the cost of the official cables. I just might order one provided they are well shielded and of a good build quality.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GojiFan90 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Thanks for that. I've seen his stuff for sale before. Shipping from Poland to the states isn't cheap, but still about half the cost of the official cables. I just might order one provided they are well shielded and of a good build quality.
Looking at the total cost, $21 shipped for a nice, fat, fully-shielded S-Video cable that you probably can't get in the US seems worth it to me, especially when you start comparing that to the $40+ without shipping you'd be paying for a SCART cable.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Which brand of Wii Component Cables give the best picture quality?

Nintendo
Monster
Rocketfish
Nyko
Retro-Access
Other
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:Which brand of Wii Component Cables give the best picture quality?

Nintendo
Monster
Rocketfish
Nyko
Retro-Access
Other
I expect cables from Nintendo, Monster, and Retro-Access (You mean the 4x BNC cables used with adapters, yes?) to be the best; however, I also expect the image from all of these to be indistinguishable from each other. I will, however, posit that Retro-Access's mini-coax cables will be the best protected from interference; but, again, it will likely be visually indistinguishable from the others.

I don't have experience with Rocketfish or Nyko, but I've had negative experiences with other products from both brands.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

nmalinoski wrote:You mean the 4x BNC cables used with adapters, yes?)
Yes

Thank you