shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:44 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm 

there was an official sony adapter device for the PVM-2030 to hook it up to a computer. i know for certain that i found a brochure of some kind for it on the internet at some point, but i can't find it anywhere anymore.
does anyone remember what i'm talking about?
it's driving me crazy

thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:44 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
there was an official sony adapter device for the PVM-2030 to hook it up to a computer. i know for certain that i found a brochure of some kind for it on the internet at some point, but i can't find it anywhere anymore.
does anyone remember what i'm talking about?
it's driving me crazy

thanks

I'm not aware of such a device (simply ignorance), but it was probably a run-of-the-mill RGB interface. If you're looking for one, I would expect an Extron RGB interface to perform identically or better and be far more available.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:01 am 

Last 2 pages of this talk about something like that - don't think it'll do what you think it will unless the source is 15khz to begin with (which I'm simply not educated enough about older computers to say which do or don't do that...thought most were 24-31khz or something like that? Maybe Commodore 64 and similar which I know were hooked up to 15khz monitors?)

https://ia601509.us.archive.org/20/item ... Manual.pdf

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:13 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
Last 2 pages of this talk about something like that - don't think it'll do what you think it will unless the source is 15khz to begin with (which I'm simply not educated enough about older computers to say which do or don't do that...thought most were 24-31khz or something like that? Maybe Commodore 64 and similar which I know were hooked up to 15khz monitors?)

For the PVMs, the document only lists CGA as compatible which does use a 15kHz monitor, but also would need a converter from digital RGBI to analog RGB - older Extron RGB interfaces were able to do that, but the feature was dropped at some point.

Home computers like the C64 often used 15kHz modes because they could be connected to a TV instead of a dedicated monitor as a cost-saving measure.

Last edited by Unseen on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm 

yeah I remember someone on here saying that the older (non-rxi) Extron interfaces with the DB9 inputs all did this(well obviously. the DB9 input kinda give away the fact that this is one of the main features of these interfaces). But I don't know if newer Extron interfaces can do it too, with a correctly wired DB9 to HD15 cable?

if not, then you can always get an older Extron interface

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:55 pm 

Unseen wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:

Hi Unseen. thanks for chiming in.

Actually, the PVM-2030/2530 is different from the 2130 and can accept RGBI CGA OR 3 bit RGB, switchable with PIN 1 on the DB25; the IBM intensity bit is input at PIN 25. I want to use EGA and possibly IBM 8514 or MCGA, and wanted to make sure of what the adapter does.

Also, the specs of the 2030 say that the RGB input operates at 10 MHz (as opposed to 6 MHz for the video in); I wonder how high of a horz frequency I can get it to accept?
If I can work backwards, assuming a 5 uS horizontal refresh time and a resolution of 320x200; 10 MHz should allow for a horzontal draw time of 32 uS at 320x200. So, 0.032 + 0.005 for refresh is 0.037. That would mean 1/x=0.037/1 or 27 kHz.

Looks like enough for EGA, but could I push MCGA or VGA or 8154 etc?

Gah. maybe my math is bad, and i'm obviously assuming the refresh period. Any thoughts?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:46 am 

What are the gold standards for Saturn modding and modders? My white console has a modchip, but is not region free.

Besides the internal battery is a time bomb, pun intended. Goodbye RPG progress!
I'd be overjoyed if there's a jumbo sized direct-saving memory card. I can live without the 1MB/4MB RAM games.

I've got a SCART cable and Framemeister (I found a way to revive it). Unlikely I'd need video mods, unless I want to play a game that's 50hz only.
A few games act buggy in NTSC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:55 am 

theclaw wrote:
What are the gold standards for Saturn modding and modders? My white console has a modchip, but is not region free.

Besides the internal battery is a time bomb, pun intended. Goodbye RPG progress!
I'd be overjoyed if there's a jumbo sized direct-saving memory card. I can live without the 1MB/4MB RAM games.

I've got a SCART cable and Framemeister (I found a way to revive it). Unlikely I'd need video mods, unless I want to play a game that's 50hz only.
A few games act buggy in NTSC.

removing the region protection requires desoldering the BIOS chip and replacing it, it's pretty simple if you're good with SMD work

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:12 am 

theclaw wrote:
What are the gold standards for Saturn modding and modders? My white console has a modchip, but is not region free

Are you playing real non-NTSC games, or burned discs of them? There's a tool where you can change the region of the ISO's of the Japan games (for instance) so they play on a NTSC (chipped/modded) Saturn console. I still need to go through mine and do the rest (did like 2-3 to test them), but it seems to work perfect after modding the ISO.

I own two Saturn's and two of the 4-in-1 ram carts (which let games play region-free), but those cartridge ports on the Saturns are just buggy (and I've tried all the fixes I've read or watched YouTube videos on and they still won't work 100%) - so modding the ISO's was the easier way to go about this for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:34 am 

Burned discs at the moment, it's a chipped Japanese Saturn. Since I don't read Japanese I'd like to mostly use English games.
Haven't run into trouble with carts yet, but I rarely play 2D fighters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:13 pm 

Extron RGB interfaces are able to route an Ypbpr signal right? Can they also pull off the line offset trick with Ypbpr sources?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:39 pm 

Quote:
Extron RGB interfaces are able to route an Ypbpr signal right? Can they also pull off the line offset trick with Ypbpr sources?

yes, and on s-video and composite as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 pm 

That's great - I can stick with component for the PS2 then. Thanks Fudoh :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 pm 

I just picked up a Panasonic analog CRT with component inputs and I'm looking for a good SCART to component transcoder. Most seem to recommend the "Shinybow" model, but I'm curious if there are any more inexpensive options that will get the job done. I'll just be playing my Saturn, N64, Famicom disk system and PsOne on it so I'm not looking into a huge investment as I just use my Framemeister for everything else.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:28 pm 

GojiFan90 wrote:
I just picked up a Panasonic analog CRT with component inputs and I'm looking for a good SCART to component transcoder. Most seem to recommend the "Shinybow" model, but I'm curious if there are any more inexpensive options that will get the job done. I'll just be playing my Saturn, N64, Famicom disk system and PsOne on it so I'm not looking into a huge investment as I just use my Framemeister for everything else.

The ShinyBow is currently the best available, because it does 480p, while most of the others are limited to 240p/480i. If your CRT won't do 480p, and you want something a little cheaper, you can get one of these. Otherwise, if you do need 480p, you can get a ShinyBow now; or you can wait for Mike Chi to finish his transcoder, assuming it will support 480p+.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:40 pm 

Just get the Shinybow. It's a good one. The peace of mind is worth the money.

It's plug and play. No configuration. Very few worries about quality control and Shinybow backs up their products.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:19 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:

The ShinyBow is currently the best available, because it does 480p, while most of the others are limited to 240p/480i. If your CRT won't do 480p, and you want something a little cheaper, you can get one of these. Otherwise, if you do need 480p, you can get a ShinyBow now; or you can wait for Mike Chi to finish his transcoder, assuming it will support 480p+.

unless Mike changes the design, it won't - LM1881 doesn't support ED video

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:24 pm 

Alright thanks for the feedback. Shinybow it is. This deep into the rabbit hole of RGB gaming and ~$75USD seems like chump change. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:37 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:

unless Mike changes the design, it won't - LM1881 doesn't support ED video

That brings up a good question. Shouldn't the transcoders pass through 480p, if fed RGBs?
Except few consoles natively output 480p in RGBs.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216