shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:34 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5930 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:19 pm 

What would you do with this board? Do I need to replace the capacitors right now?

(sorry for the blurry pic)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:44 pm 

Xer Xian wrote:
What would you do with this board? Do I need to replace the capacitors right now?

(sorry for the blurry pic)

If I saw that, I'd do a complete recap immediately.

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:00 pm 

is there a utility for PS2 that can edit the header information for HDD partitions (specifically *not* HD loader partitions) to change the icon and description displayed in HDDOSD?

I know hdl_dump can do this on the PC side when the HDD is connected to PC, but it would be nice to stop having to pull the thing out all the time

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:52 pm 

So, I am in the process of making an arcade stick, for several systems. It seems that for the DC, piggybacking on a controller is the way to go, and that using third party ones where L and R are digital buttons on the face of the controller is best, due to a lag issue when piggybacking the original analogue triggers.

My question is: How did the third party controllers do this? As in, did they modify the input to the controller IC, or did they reverse engineer the original one? If it was the first, how feasible is such a mod?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:35 pm 

I know the Retron 5 is not the most popular clone console out there, but I like to use it for playing translations. Does anyone know if it will read a Nintendo Power/Super Famicom memory cassette? I know it struggles with multicarts, flash carts etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:00 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:
is there a utility for PS2 that can edit the header information for HDD partitions (specifically *not* HD loader partitions) to change the icon and description displayed in HDDOSD?

I know hdl_dump can do this on the PC side when the HDD is connected to PC, but it would be nice to stop having to pull the thing out all the time

apparently if you use the hdl_svr program bundled with the hdl_dump package, you can modify the headers over the network without removing the drive!

guess I should have RTFM :oops:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:46 pm 

It's anyone familiar with the Zenith H3247DT? I may have an opportunity to acquire one with fairly low hours on it (used in a school).

Not much out there other than manuals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:29 pm 

I'm having some issues with the Toro Box.

I recently got it and have it connected to a Framesiter (lastest firmware) using SCART and the latest Firebrandx Toro Box Dreamcast profile (38DCTORO.BIN). I have scanlines turned off and using VGA mode.

My issue is that on several games the screen starts to black in and out. The game continues as the video goes black and then back so I'm certain its not related to the console or the disc. The audio some times goes out with the video but sometimes it stays.

I've tried the following.
- Replacing the SCART cable that connects the Toro box to the Frameister
- Reseat all connections on the Frameister, Toro box and Dreamcast
- Doing a data reset on the Frameister and then loading the 38DCTORO profile.
- Setting the VGA/RGB switch to RGB, but that just made the video output fuzzy and broken. Not playable.
- There's a switch under the Toro box cover that changes the output from RGBHV or RGBS according to the manual. I tried both settings. The manuals show that this switch is either jumpers or a push button, but my Toro box has a switch similar to the switches on the side of the box. From what I understand both RGBHV or RGBS output work with the Framemeister.

The last thing I tried that worked (but caused another issue) is set the SYNC_MODE to OFF on the Framemeister. With this setting, the flashing black screen stopped and everything seems to work. However, in some specific areas of games the video very briefly gets this blue fuzzy flash and then goes away. The places I've noticed this issue (so far) is half through the plane shooting minigame in Sonic Adventure, the mirrored hallway in Twinkle Park with Amy in Sonic Adventure, and the Spawn boss battle fight with Admonisher when I move between rooms.

I'm still a novice to all this. I appreciate any advice and guidance on this issue. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:20 am 

How good are the Sony consumer wega FD Trinitron TVs? Do they even come close to a pvm? There's a KV-32FS13 at my local thrift store for $30...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:38 am 

rquez wrote:
I recently got it and have it connected to a Framesiter (lastest firmware) using SCART and the latest Firebrandx Toro Box Dreamcast profile (38DCTORO.BIN). I have scanlines turned off and using VGA mode.
- There's a switch under the Toro box cover that changes the output from RGBHV or RGBS according to the manual. I tried both settings. The manuals show that this switch is either jumpers or a push button, but my Toro box has a switch similar to the switches on the side of the box. From what I understand both RGBHV or RGBS output work with the Framemeister.

If you're going to use the SCART output on the Toro, you need to set that switch under the cover to RGBS, because SCART has no facility for the separate horizontal and vertical sync signals required by RGBHV (What you're calling VGA).

The "VGA/RGB" switch on the side of the unit effectively just signals to the Dreamcast whether to use 480i or 480p; you can leave it set to 480p, and then flip it for games that don't support 480p (you can trick them into booting in 480p by flipping it back during the Sega licensing screen).

Unfortunately, while I have a Toro, I don't own and have never used a Framemeister, so someone who has better knowledge of it will need to chime in regarding that part of your configuration.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:40 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
How good are the Sony consumer wega FD Trinitron TVs? Do they even come close to a pvm? There's a KV-32FS13 at my local thrift store for $30...

Trinitrons are generally good. Bring a console and see if they'll let you test it in the store.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:38 pm 

Hi all, I have a question regarding resistor caps (75ohm) on CRT broadcast monitors with RGB scart. (Mine is an Ikegami HTM 1990-R).

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between having no resistor caps on the outputs and the contrast turned down, or alternatively using resistor caps on the outputs but having the contrast turned up to achieve the same contrast level. My manual for the monitor says the caps are optional. But what I'm thinking is, would the screen be forced to be working harder without the caps even if you adjust for the same contrast in both circumstances?

Ideally I don't want to shorten the life of the monitor really.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:43 am 

Hello, I'm looking into Nintendo 64 RGB mods, most likely the 7374. I want the most authentic N64 output possible, meaning, no de-blur like Tim's mod or anything like that, same ole' N64 blurriness, but with the accuracy of RGB. Should I have LPF on or off on the 7374 to achieve this? I plan to play on a CRT with retrovision's composite cables. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:17 am 

I want to hook up both Ypbpr and RGB BNC to my PVM without having to switch cables each time. The BKM-129X is expensive so I'd like to avoid that solution. What's another easy way to do this?

Would some T-Adapters work? Only one console would be powered at any given time so in theory that would just require switching between YPBPR and RGB on the PVM depending on what I want to use. Would this work? Any downsides to splitting the inputs with T-adapters?

A YPbPr to Scart adapter maybe? I don't think my GscartSW_lite would detect that though. Would at least be easier to switch connections instead of disconnecting the BNC connectors each time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:58 am 

Gara wrote:
I want to hook up both Ypbpr and RGB BNC to my PVM without having to switch cables each time. The BKM-129X is expensive so I'd like to avoid that solution. What's another easy way to do this?

Would some T-Adapters work? Only one console would be powered at any given time so in theory that would just require switching between YPBPR and RGB on the PVM depending on what I want to use. Would this work? Any downsides to splitting the inputs with T-adapters?

A YPbPr to Scart adapter maybe? I don't think my GscartSW_lite would detect that though. Would at least be easier to switch connections instead of disconnecting the BNC connectors each time.

Buy a switch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:06 am 

orange808 wrote:
Gara wrote:

Buy a switch.

Haha helpful! I'm assuming you mean like an Extron? I'm already setup for scart and component switchers. Hoping I don't have to add another switch to the chain just to get these 2 inputs in. I may as well just get the BKM-129X.

If there is a small and cheap switch that will handle what I am trying to do then by all means.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:34 am 

Gara wrote:
orange808 wrote:
Gara wrote:

Buy a switch.

Haha helpful! I'm assuming you mean like an Extron? I'm already setup for scart and component switchers. Hoping I don't have to add another switch to the chain just to get these 2 inputs in. I may as well just get the BKM-129X.

If there is a small and cheap switch that will handle what I am trying to do then by all means.

Of course there is.

Most any little cheap powered RGBHV switch (avoid high end switches with K-Storm and ADSP) will be fine. Avoid new and automatic switches, too.

I see cheap Kramer RGBHV switches that can do it dirt cheap all the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am 

Non-powered switches are fine too if you don't run long cables, and some are designed to work both ways. I use a Kramer VP-201xl as a 1x2 switch to two VGA monitors, and it's ok (can only drive one monitor of course, or work as 2x1 switch). You'll need a few connector adapters for your setup though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:45 pm 

+1 switch, T connectors would probably give you some current leakage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:01 pm 

I use unpowered component switches with rca to bnc adapters and component cables. If you can find one with a composite video channel that can be used for the sync line.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:34 pm 

Assuming your PVM can take 75Ohm sync, and you're okay with automatic switching, and it's within your budget, you should be able to mix RGB and YPbPr sources with a combination of a gscartsw and a gcompsw, and then all you need to do is turn on the console you want to play and toggle input format and/or external sync when needed.

You'd have to connect the output of the gscartsw to an input on the gcompsw using a SCART to 4xRCA adapter, matching on color (So R to Pr, G to Y, B to Pb), with sync to composite video, then left and right audio as appropriate. You'd then need to connect the output of the gcompsw to your PVM using RCA to BNC cables (or BNC cables with male RCA to female BNC adapters), again, matching on color, with composite video connected to sync.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 pm 

Can the OSSC take both a Japanese Scart and a PS2 component cable?

If not what is the best solution here?

Many thanks.

TS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:02 pm 

Can someone using recent generation (6th ~ 8th) of Intel Core iGPU tell me if it can handle MAME HLSL smoothly at 1440x1080 ? Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:30 pm 

Tigershark wrote:

Many thanks.

TS.

There is no Japanese SCART per se; SCART is inherently European (specifically French, I believe). If you mean to say JP-21, no; the OSSC is not compatible with JP-21 sources, and you risk damaging the OSSC, your console, or both by connecting them.

That said, you can have any combination of the inputs connected at the same time, regardless of the sources, to the OSSC at the same time and be able to switch between the them using either the remote or button 0. (I think it's 0, anyway.)

What is it specifically that you're trying to accomplish?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:34 pm 

Tigershark wrote:

Many thanks.

TS.

Here's a possible solution to convert a single JP21 source into a single Euroscart output:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... t-adapter/

That cable is from the same guy that sells the OSSC. That's a safe and dependable choice.

Just for clarity and safety:
You couldn't just plug that cable in the OSSC and leave it there for everything.

You would never feed a EuroSCART input into that "JP21 to SCART" converter cable. That cable would be specifically for converting JP21 to SCART (aka EuroSCART).

If you need to mix JP21 and EuroSCART, you'll need multiple adapters or multiple switches.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:55 pm 

I need to merge DVI-I (1080p video) + Stereo audio (via left/right RCA or 3.5mm minijack even), and have it go to HDMI (for my new flatscreen 4K TV which only has HDMI inputs). The last one I bought off Monoprice a couple years ago is absolute garbage (shifted, muted/washed-out colors and contrast). What's the best way to go about doing this? Video may be at TTL levels if that matters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
I need to merge DVI-I (1080p video) + Stereo audio (via left/right RCA or 3.5mm minijack even), and have it go to HDMI (for my new flatscreen 4K TV which only has HDMI inputs). The last one I bought off Monoprice a couple years ago is absolute garbage (shifted, muted/washed-out colors and contrast). What's the best way to go about doing this? Video may be at TTL levels if that matters.

I use a Kramer FC-49 unit. It does a good job without damaging the signal.

I have no idea what the "best" way of doing it is.

No doubt, there's more expensive units that will add high end multichannel audio and support newer HDMI standards (and features).

You can also just route the audio separately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:44 pm 

orange808 wrote:
I use a Kramer FC-49 unit. It does a good job without damaging the signal.

I was just researching that after I couldn't find one made by Extron. Thanks for letting me know if does a good job - some on ebay for around $50-60.

Oh, wanted to ask, will there be any problem on the new 4K TV's with using something like this? Going to get one of those new TCL's and I'm not up to date on the different flavors of HDMI they're using now (1.0, 2.0, ARC, etc.).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:01 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
Tigershark wrote:

Many thanks.

TS.

There is no Japanese SCART per se; SCART is inherently European (specifically French, I believe). If you mean to say JP-21, no; the OSSC is not compatible with JP-21 sources, and you risk damaging the OSSC, your console, or both by connecting them.

That said, you can have any combination of the inputs connected at the same time, regardless of the sources, to the OSSC at the same time and be able to switch between the them using either the remote or button 0. (I think it's 0, anyway.)

Thanks. It appears my original post may have been slightly misleading. I have a Japanese SS and PS2. I currently connect the SS to a Sony European CRT via a scart cable. I assume therefore the scart is European based on your post. What I want to do is run everything through my old Pioneer LCD HD TV. I intend to do so through the OSSC which is why I asked whether I can run the Scart through the OSSC at the same time as the PS2 component? Apologies for any confusion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 pm 

Tigershark wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
Tigershark wrote:

Many thanks.

TS.

Thanks. It appears my original post may have been slightly misleading. I have a Japanese SS and PS2. I currently connect the SS to a Sony European CRT via a scart cable. I assume therefore the scart is European based on your post. What I want to do is run everything through my old Pioneer LCD HD TV. I intend to do so through the OSSC which is why I asked whether I can run the Scart through the OSSC at the same time as the PS2 component? Apologies for any confusion.

Yes you can, just switch between AV1 and AV2 on the OSSC with the remote or the button

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5930 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198  Next