shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 203  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:09 pm 

I need to finally bite the bullet and get my Dreamcast hooked up to my Framemeister but I'm torn between the Akura and the Toro. Which is preferable and why? Does the Toro have any advantage over the Akura? There is only a $5 difference in price.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:22 pm 

So I learned that using PAL consoles to output 60Hz leads to an off-spec 59-60Hz that's actually about one percent slower and this can cause problems. I was wondering, are all PAL consoles that are capable of 480p60 free from these issues? They must be equipped with a crystal that can perfectly reproduce 60Hz? Will that crystal only be used for 31kHz resolutions?

I'm European and my pre-480p era consoles are NTSC for this reason, but will my PS2, NGC and Wii be fine?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 pm 

Quote:
I need to finally bite the bullet and get my Dreamcast hooked up to my Framemeister

why? Your TV will most definitely doing a better job upscaling the DC's 480p output than the FM does.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:10 pm 

GojiFan90 wrote:
I need to finally bite the bullet and get my Dreamcast hooked up to my Framemeister but I'm torn between the Akura and the Toro. Which is preferable and why? Does the Toro have any advantage over the Akura? There is only a $5 difference in price.

The biggest problem with the Akura is that it enables VGA mode full-time, which prevents unpatched 480i-only games from booting. At least with the Toro, you have a switch that you can use to trick most of these games into booting in progressive mode.

Personally, I prefer the Toro (I bought one over the Akura) because it's overall more versatile; not only can I play the 480i-only games, I can choose what I use for the analog-to-digital conversion. Right now, I'm using an OSSC, but I can always switch to a Framemeister, or a generic SCART or VGA upscaler.

On the plus side for the Akura, it's cheaper to get going; you'd only need an HDMI cable, which you can get anywhere; whereas, with the Toro, you'd need either an HD15 to SCART adapter or a fully shielded SCART cable, and then a SCART to miniDIN for connecting to the Framemeister (assuming you don't already have one), which can add another, what, $50 to $60 USD on top of the Toro?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:12 pm 

kazaakas@hotmail.com wrote:
So I learned that using PAL consoles to output 60Hz leads to an off-spec 59-60Hz that's actually about one percent slower and this can cause problems. I was wondering, are all PAL consoles that are capable of 480p60 free from these issues? They must be equipped with a crystal that can perfectly reproduce 60Hz? Will that crystal only be used for 31kHz resolutions?

I'm European and my pre-480p era consoles are NTSC for this reason, but will my PS2, NGC and Wii be fine?

Are you referring to the ability of these PAL consoles to run NTSC games correctly, or their ability to run PAL60 games correctly?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:15 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:

The biggest problem with the Akura is that it enables VGA mode full-time, which prevents unpatched 480i-only games from booting. At least with the Toro, you have a switch that you can use to trick most of these games into booting in progressive mode.

Personally, I prefer the Toro (I bought one over the Akura) because it's overall more versatile; not only can I play the 480i-only games, I can choose what I use for the analog-to-digital conversion. Right now, I'm using an OSSC, but I can always switch to a Framemeister, or a generic SCART or VGA upscaler.

On the plus side for the Akura, it's cheaper to get going; you'd only need an HDMI cable, which you can get anywhere; whereas, with the Toro, you'd need either an HD15 to SCART adapter or a fully shielded SCART cable, and then a SCART to miniDIN for connecting to the Framemeister (assuming you don't already have one), which can add another, what, $50 to $60 USD on top of the Toro?

Why would anybody want to use anything but the OSSC? Aspect ratio will be wrong without it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:25 pm 

orange808 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

Why would anybody want to use anything but the OSSC? Aspect ratio will be wrong without it.

I may be inclined to bring my Dreamcast to a friend's or relative's house, but I'm not going to bother ripping my OSSC out of my setup to bring it, too. :P

Can't the Framemeister be configured to accept and properly display the 720x480 frame size from the Dreamcast?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:47 pm 

Quote:
Can't the Framemeister be configured to accept and properly display the 720x480 frame size from the Dreamcast?

on the FM you can set any aspect ratoi you like. The problem is simply that the FM's upscaling on 480p sources isn't particularly great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 am 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:
I need to finally bite the bullet and get my Dreamcast hooked up to my Framemeister

why? Your TV will most definitely doing a better job upscaling the DC's 480p output than the FM does.

My television doesn't have VGA input so I have no way of playing VGA compatible games on my Plasma.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:34 am 

orange808 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:

Sorry for the double-post (not sure how to multi-quote). I only have access to a Framemeister ATM. Bought it before OSSC was really a thing, and I don't currently have the funds for an OSSC as well. I have the SCART to mini-DIN adapter already, so aside from a Toro, all I would need to buy is a M to M SCART cable. Can anyone recommend where to get an inexpensive, properly shielded cable (that ships to the US)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:31 am 

GojiFan90 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
Quote:

My television doesn't have VGA input so I have no way of playing VGA compatible games on my Plasma.

You can transcode it to ypbpr. Probably the better option. Or just wait for retrovision's Dreamcast ypbpr cable. IT'S COMING.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:37 am 

orange808 wrote:

Because the OSSC doesn't work on all TV's, where the FM does for the most part. OSSC also hates SNES for some mysterious reason (at least 2 of mine...).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:04 am 

Dochartaigh wrote:
OSSC also hates SNES for some mysterious reason (at least 2 of mine...).

You may want to check out this thread about NES and SNES video jitter: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61285

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:41 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
You can transcode it to ypbpr. Probably the better option. Or just wait for retrovision's Dreamcast ypbpr cable. IT'S COMING.

Ah, OK I didn't even think to do that! Can you recommend a good VGA to YPbPr transcoder? I've had bad experiences with the cheaply made video converters from China that you see floating around on eBay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
You may want to check out this thread about NES and SNES video jitter: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61285

Thank you for the link... but that's really ok...when a topic starts with "NES and SNES are known to use slightly inconsistent scanline timing in their 240p output signals. 2C02 PPU in NTSC NES / Famicom nominally outputs 262 scanlines, each consisting of 1364 MCLK cycles which equals 341 PPU cycles (MCLK is divided by 4). However, length of the pre-render scanline (#14 after vsync) is 4 MCLK cycles shorter in certain circumstances".....I kinda immediately close the page. No offense meant, but I'm already on my 3rd occupation....really don't have the need in learning how to become an amateur electrical engineer in my spare time - I just want to play video games!

Last edited by Dochartaigh on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:08 pm 

Hi everybody. This is my first post here as an active member of the forum. A read A LOT and learned so much!

Very short and straight question:

Does the Front Loader NES (NES 001), when installing the NESRGB mod, really need the external voltage regulator connected or not?
I see some people installed it and some other just uses the voltage regulator the NES already has and is not using the supplied one on the kit.

I'm going to install the kit on the next days so, I want to be sure about this matter.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:13 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
kazaakas@hotmail.com wrote:

Are you referring to the ability of these PAL consoles to run NTSC games correctly, or their ability to run PAL60 games correctly?

I always like to use NTSC ROMs with my consoles, so I was wondering if I would get a 60Hz refresh rate out of those that's not out of spec.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 am 

Mendion wrote:
Hi everybody. This is my first post here as an active member of the forum. A read A LOT and learned so much!

Does the Front Loader NES (NES 001), when installing the NESRGB mod, really need the external voltage regulator connected or not?
I see some people installed it and some other just uses the voltage regulator the NES already has and is not using the supplied one on the kit.

I'm going to install the kit on the next days so, I want to be sure about this matter.

Thanks!

It doesn't strictly need it, but it's advisable that you install it. The increased load on the 7805 could cause it to overheat. Also, the heat of the 7805 causes problems with the adjacent capacitors. They often fail because they are so near the regulator. None of this might happen of course, but why take chances?

It's not that much work to install it anyway.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 pm 

Makinx wrote:
Mendion wrote:

Thanks!

It doesn't strictly need it, but it's advisable that you install it. The increased load on the 7805 could cause it to overheat. Also, the heat of the 7805 causes problems with the adjacent capacitors. They often fail because they are so near the regulator. None of this might happen of course, but why take chances?

Great.

I have another one:

I'm not quite sure about the purpose of connecting +5V to the video out connector. I saw some mods with it and some without it.
I'm going to use a SNES multiout connector with RetroGamingCables SNES CSYNC cable (this one: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin ... -wire-cord).

Can someone enlighten me?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:21 pm 

Mendion wrote:
Makinx wrote:
Mendion wrote:

Thanks!

Great.

I have another one:

I'm not quite sure about the purpose of connecting +5V to the video out connector. I saw some mods with it and some without it.
I'm going to use a SNES multiout connector with RetroGamingCables SNES CSYNC cable (this one: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin ... -wire-cord).

European consumer televisions require a 1-3V voltage to SCART pin 16 to detect RGB signals. With no voltage, the tv will display composite signal (or nothing if this is not connected). So it depends on how and to what you intend to hook up your NES whether you really need it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:19 pm 

Makinx wrote:
Mendion wrote:
Makinx wrote:

Great.

I have another one:

European consumer televisions require a 1-3V voltage to SCART pin 16 to detect RGB signals. With no voltage, the tv will display composite signal (or nothing if this is not connected). So it depends on how and to what you intend to hook up your NES whether you really need it.

I want to hook up the NES to 2 things:

- A 14" Sony PVM that has BNC inputs. I already have the female SCART to BNC's cable.
- A gscartwsw_lite (that one is its way to my home right now). Then, after the gscartwsw_lite, 1 output going to my Framemeister and the other output going to a SCART to Component converter (a Shinybow SB-2840)

Last edited by Mendion on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:37 pm 

Neither the PVM nor the GScartSw require the switching voltage on pin 16. The PVM wouldn't see it anyway when using a Scart to BNC adapter and the GScartSw uses the sync signal signal (on pin 21) to detect signals and switch ports, not the signaling on pin 16.

It's meant for consumer TVs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 am 

Fudoh wrote:
Neither the PVM nor the GScartSw require the switching voltage on pin 16. The PVM wouldn't see it anyway when using a Scart to BNC adapter and the GScartSw uses the sync signal signal (on pin 21) to detect signals and switch ports, not the signaling on pin 16.

It's meant for consumer TVs.

That is very helpful. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 am 

Is it possible to use any region power supply on any region slim PS2? For some reason I thought I had read this but a quick google on my phone and I couldn't find the answer.

For example I want to use an Aus power supply with a JPN slim PS2.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:14 am 

Slim PS2s require 8.5V center positive, if your Asus PSU outputs that you should be fine. If it's slighlty above or below (+/-0.5V) it might be ok too, but don't take my word for it.

Superslims have internal PSU, which should be multivoltage. I have a JPN Superslim that I've never hooked up, I'll have to take the risk someday.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 pm 

Does anyone know if you can disable the idle timer and announcer voices in Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 and 2? Google yields no results.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:27 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
Quote:

on the FM you can set any aspect ratoi you like. The problem is simply that the FM's upscaling on 480p sources isn't particularly great.

Yep, however, you can combine the OSSC into the FM to effectively 'upgrade' the FM's upscaling of 480 (960) content. In the image below, I show the result of FM directly trying to upscale 480p versus having the OSSC line double first before going into the FM (which I programmed to scale the OSSC feed 1:1 onto a 1920x1080p footprint):

This was done purely for the novelty because you'd certainly want to use the OSSC exclusively. But say your TV doesn't like 960 feed from the OSSC, this is a way to get around that by using the FM.

NES NTSC Palettes: http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

SNES Serial DB: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HYLy_TTDop_FzuX6qnxuQI43upg4raXfno582taO744/pubhtml

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:47 pm 

Would converting the digital HDMI signal from the Hi-Def NES, Ultra HDMI N64, GCVideo GameCube/Wii, etc. to analog for use on a CRT give me a better picture than just using the NES RGB, N64 RGB, GameCube Component Cables and Wii Component Cables?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:35 pm 

I'm in the US and need a couple male-to-male SCART cables; one for connecting my Dreamcast's Toro box to a SCART switch, and another for connecting said switch to my OSSC. Right now, I'm looking at the $20 USD 1m Sony-branded cables from Behar Bros and the ~$30 USD 1.5m Packapunch cables from RGC.

As far as I can tell, both are double-shielded and use quality components and metal SCART heads; so would it be a safe assumption that there would be minimal difference in performance between the two?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 pm 

USA, Amazon, Prime, 10' or 15' same price $6.39. Don't think they use coax but give me a beautiful clear picture on my PVM's (I use them as extension cables, and for my Raspberry Pi 3 with Pi2SCART RGB board).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DY ... UTF8&psc=1

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6089 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 203  Next