shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:35 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 196  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:14 pm 

Xyga wrote:
tried another PSU btw ?

I do have a spare, so I will try that. I was dead sure it was HDMI related, like a handshake issue, but since the component cable didn't work either, I dunno. I remember the picture disappearing once in a while If I adjusted the volume on the receiver. This hasn't happened with anything else I have connected to this receiver. I had forgotten about this, but now I'm kinda worried my receiver might have caused this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 pm 

I don't even know if such a risk exists, never heard of a receiver killing machines but...it's my nature to suspect everything, sorry. ^^

Out of the millions of 360 problems you can google there's also apparently the possibility of the video card croaking without a warning.
Hope for you it's nothing in that fashion. :/

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:24 pm 

Quote:
Hope for you it's nothing in that fashion. :/

You and me both. I hate it when electronics break, and I have to much shame in my body to wrap this XBox in towels then return it to the rightful like nothing happened.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 am 

So I've heard that the VRC6 (expansion audio) emulation on the Everdrive N8 is pretty bad on a NES modded for expansion audio. But does anyone know how the Famicom version of the N8 performs on an actual Famicom with Famicom ROMs? I would assume there would be no need for emulation and hence no sound problems, but that's just guesswork.

Since I'm European I'm going to have to import a NES/Famicom anyway to play at 60Hz, so might as well get myself the best option.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:56 am 

kazaakas@hotmail.com wrote:
So I've heard that the VRC6 (expansion audio) emulation on the Everdrive N8 is pretty bad on a NES modded for expansion audio. But does anyone know how the Famicom version of the N8 performs on an actual Famicom with Famicom ROMs? I would assume there would be no need for emulation and hence no sound problems, but that's just guesswork.

Since I'm European I'm going to have to import a NES/Famicom anyway to play at 60Hz, so might as well get myself the best option.

I got an AV Famicom since it's the smallest and sleekest console, has Expansion audio, the expansion port, has the Multi-Out port for convenience and no plastic cutting, no lockout chip, small 60 pin famicom everdrive instead of giant 72 pin nes everdrive, has the best composite video output, accepts nes controllers and accessories, etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:37 am 

Famicom is 72
NES is 62

Little cart with alot of pins

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:46 am 

Has anyone ever purchased an RGB modded N64 from eBay seller "doujindance?" I was curious as to the quality of their work, what kind of amp they use etc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 am 

GeneraLight wrote:

I got an AV Famicom since it's the smallest and sleekest console, has Expansion audio, the expansion port, has the Multi-Out port for convenience and no plastic cutting, no lockout chip, small 60 pin famicom everdrive instead of giant 72 pin nes everdrive, has the best composite video output, accepts nes controllers and accessories, etc.

Cool, I'm thinking about buying such a console. Just to get back at my previous questiuon: have you tested it with any flash carts with expansion audio games like Castlevania III?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 pm 

GeneraLight wrote:

Cool, I'm thinking about buying such a console. Just to get back at my previous questiuon: have you tested it with any flash carts with expansion audio games like Castlevania III?

No I haven't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:38 pm 

Do any original Xbox games natively run at 720p/1080i?

Soft-modded Xboxs give you the option to enable 480p/720p/1080i individually (at least on PAL consoles, where 480i/576i is the best you've got), and I'm wondering if it's worth it to enable the last two, especially if the upscaling's inferior to scaling on modern displays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:49 pm 

ross wrote:

Soft-modded Xboxs give you the option of enabling 480p/720p/1080i individually, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to enable the last two, especially if the upscaling's inferior to scaling on modern displays.

Yes. When you say you can enable each of those individually, does that mean you can only have one of the resolutions enabled at a time, or multiple at a time?

It's worth enabling it for 720p, but not 1080i in my opinion. There's at 58 games that can out 720p, but only 7 that can do 1080i.

720p Xbox Games:

25 To Life
American Chopper 2: Full Throttle
Amped 2
Atari Anthology
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Codename: Kids Next Door - Operation: V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E.
Crash Nitro Kart
Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure
Double S.T.E.A.L The Second Clash
Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair
ESPN Major League Baseball
ESPN NBA Basketball
ESPN NFL Football
Enter the Matrix
Eragon
Evil Dead: Regeneration
FIFA 06 Soccer
FIFA 07 Soccer
FIFA Street
FIFA Street 2
Freedom Fighters
I-Ninja
Justice League Heroes
MVP 06: NCAA Baseball
MVP Baseball 2004
MVP Baseball 2005
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
NBA 2K3
NBA Ballers
NBA Live 06
NBA Live 07
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Ricochet Lost Worlds
Scarface: The World Is Yours
Sega GT Online
Soul Calibur II
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
Street Hoops
Syberia
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
The Sims 2
The Sims Bustin' Out
The Urbz: Sims in the City
The Warriors
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Total Overdose: A Gunslinger's Tale in Mexico
True Crime: Streets of LA
Virtual Pool: Tournament Edition
World Series Baseball 2K3
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

1080i Xbox Games:

Atari Anthology
Enter the Matrix
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
Syberia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X ... play_modes

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:40 pm 

I may be wrong on this, but my understanding of expansion audio is that the audio is generated by a chip on the cartridge and then muxed into the main audio, so even if you have an AV Famicom, the expansion audio will still be emulated on a flashcart.

The Famicoms simply have pins in the cartridge slot that are able to pass audio into and receive audio out from the cartridge.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:04 am 

GeneraLight wrote:
ross wrote:

Soft-modded Xboxs give you the option of enabling 480p/720p/1080i individually, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to enable the last two, especially if the upscaling's inferior to scaling on modern displays.

Yes. When you say you can enable each of those individually, does that mean you can only have one of the resolutions enabled at a time, or multiple at a time?

It's worth enabling it for 720p, but not 1080i in my opinion. There's at 58 games that can out 720p, but only 7 that can do 1080i.

720p Xbox Games:

25 To Life
American Chopper 2: Full Throttle
Amped 2
Atari Anthology
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Codename: Kids Next Door - Operation: V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E.
Crash Nitro Kart
Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure
ESPN Major League Baseball
ESPN NBA Basketball
ESPN NFL Football
Enter the Matrix
Eragon
Evil Dead: Regeneration
FIFA 06 Soccer
FIFA 07 Soccer
FIFA Street
FIFA Street 2
Freedom Fighters
I-Ninja
Justice League Heroes
MVP 06: NCAA Baseball
MVP Baseball 2004
MVP Baseball 2005
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
NBA 2K3
NBA Ballers
NBA Live 06
NBA Live 07
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Ricochet Lost Worlds
Scarface: The World Is Yours
Sega GT Online
Soul Calibur II
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
Street Hoops
Syberia
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
The Sims 2
The Sims Bustin' Out
The Urbz: Sims in the City
The Warriors
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Total Overdose: A Gunslinger's Tale in Mexico
True Crime: Streets of LA
Virtual Pool: Tournament Edition
World Series Baseball 2K3
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

1080i Xbox Games:

Atari Anthology
Enter the Matrix
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
Syberia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X ... play_modes

Multiple at a time I believe.

Those games could just be scaled internally by the hardware though. Just because they're outputting at 720p/1080i doesn't mean the system's rendering games at those resolutions.

GT4 on the PS2 had 1080i support, but only ran at 640x448 during gameplay.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:19 am 

Regarding my XBox 360 issues a few posts up, I have sorta good and some bad news. The bad news: a different power supply didn't make any difference. Nor did a wired controller. Controller lights keep flashing. I've also tried holding down the power on button to see if it resets itself, but no dice. The only good news is that the owner of this machine told me to consider it mine at no charge, so at least I won't have to buy him a new one. I will try searching Youtube for tips now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:40 am 

Wow, cool guy *thumbsup*

EDIT; now it's yours consider the ultimate repair move ... ... hit it multiple times until you get a picture.

:p

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:04 pm 

480p Dreamcast through a Toro box, still has sync issues with BVM-D series monitors (since VCR/AFC can't be turned on for 31khz/480p), correct? What do you do to fix this? Have it export RGBHV signal which you run through something like an Extron RGB Rxi 203 (to merge it to RGBS)?

Does it do this with the PVM-20L5 and 14L5 as well?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:35 pm 

Xyga wrote:
hit it multiple times until you get a picture.

Had I been more limber, I would've drop kicked it. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 pm 

Does MAME have any interpolation options or shaders that can achive an effect similar to "Pixellate" in Retroarch?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:26 pm 

Quote:
Does MAME have any interpolation options or shaders that can achive an effect similar to "Pixellate" in Retroarch?

if you enable bilinear filtering and set the prescale factor to 3 or 4 at the same time, the results should be pretty similar. Last time I used time was years back though, so things might have changed since.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:43 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
if you enable bilinear filtering and set the prescale factor to 3 or 4 at the same time, the results should be pretty similar. Last time I used time was years back though, so things might have changed since.

Thanks Fudoh. Whilst that worked it's significantly blurrier than Pixellate. However it's still an improvement for games like Progear and eliminates the shimmering on the horizontal axis at 4:3 so appreciate the response. Wish I was smart enough to work out how to convert Pixellate into a format MAME understood!

Out of interst do you know what the difference is in terms of appearance between the nearest neighbour and linear setting on the Pixellate shader setting within Retroarch?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:40 am 

have you tried turning integer scaling on instead?
Code:
intoverscan               1

last time i've tried it was bothersome especially when i wanted to combine with filtering (although it's facultative if you only want razor sharp) because it was necessary to make multiple .ini's, including a vertical.ini and horizont.ini
game ini's go to the ini folder along those, but drivers ini's now go to the source subfolder
the hard part is to figure which setting has priority over the other in relation to ini's hierarchy that's ever more complicated lol

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:11 pm 

I'm thinking of doing the THS7316 bypass mod on my 1CHIP-02 SNES. Would a SNES Jr with this mod be better, or is the circuitry that makes the Snes Jr superior to the other 1CHIP's bypassed by this mod?

Of course there's the question whether the difference is noticable, but I'm ususally about 1.5" away from my BVM-D24 and I'm also quite nitpicky, so there's that :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:39 pm 

Xyga wrote:
have you tried turning integer scaling on instead?
Code:
intoverscan               1

I do use that setting or use unevenstretch on or off depending on the content. Its all ball ache through, I spend too much time faffing around with settings when I just want to play the games.

That's why I was so impressed with Pixellate, just set it to 4:3 and it just looks great with no need to worry about the original hardwares resolution or integer scaling etc. Just wish the MAME core in Retroarch wasn't so sub standard compared to the stand alone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 pm 

Yeah pixellate sure is convenient.
Maybe it could be added to baseline by - forgot his name sorry - the guy at mamedev who works the most on this.
Assuming it's possible and he has time of course, but I think it's perfectly okay to at least ask him.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 pm 

@tomwhite2004: do you mind posting a snapshot of how MAME looks on your setup ?

As said, it's been a few years, but I remember that I even lowered the prescale factor since it was too sharp otherwise. Makes me wonder why the result turns out too blurry on your setup. If you set the prescale to - let's say - 4. You basically feed a 960p image into the bilinear filter. There's hardly anything left to blur.

Have you tried setting the prescale factor to something to results in an image larger than your output screen size ?

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:24 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
@tomwhite2004: do you mind posting a snapshot of how MAME looks on your setup ?

As said, it's been a few years, but I remember that I even lowered the prescale factor since it was too sharp otherwise. Makes me wonder why the result turns out too blurry on your setup. If you set the prescale to - let's say - 4. You basically feed a 960p image into the bilinear filter. There's hardly anything left to blur.

Have you tried setting the prescale factor to something to results in an image larger than your output screen size ?

Tried setting the prescale to 5 or 6 but the end result looks exactly the same as with 4. I notice a large change in visual quality between going from a prescale of 3 to 4 which you can see in the below album. I would use 3 but there are still scaling issues with that setting, it has to be at 4 to completely eliminate the shimmering / rippling effect when the screen scrolls.

The screenshots are from Progear but I also tried it with hardware with lower horizontal resolutions (MVS) and see the same result.

https://imgur.com/a/pNCkd

EDIT: please note all mame screenshots are with these base settings.

keepaspect 1
unevenstretch 1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 am 

Just tried to use a Component to HDMI converter by portta and I get no video or audio on my TCL 4K TV. Any obvious reason for this?

Trying to use my Wii with this

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Component ... B00A8FIQXA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:00 am 

jade88 wrote:
Just tried to use a Component to HDMI converter by portta and I get no video or audio on my TCL 4K TV. Any obvious reason for this?

The converter you linked is HDMI to Component, not Component to HDMI; probably excellent for using HDMI sources on component inputs, but not the other way around, I'm afraid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:17 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
jade88 wrote:

The converter you linked is HDMI to Component, not Component to HDMI; probably excellent for using HDMI sources on component inputs, but not the other way around, I'm afraid.

Wow, shows you how much research I did lol. Geez.

Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Component ... B00ATNIFPA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:19 pm 

jade88 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
jade88 wrote:

Wow, shows you how much research I did lol. Geez.

Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Component ... B00ATNIFPA

The labeling has the conversion in the correct direction, so I would think it would be fine.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 196  Next