Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by ASDR »

GeneraLight wrote: Thanks. So are the 3-1, 3-2 and 3-6 motherboard revisions only in the 20,000 - 33,000 serial number range?
No, only 3-1 & 3-2 are the early ones. I have something like a 22k and it's a 3-2, looks absolutely perfect apart from the brightness fix required. My memory is a bit hazy on the exact revision and serial numbers, but there was basically one later revision that was initially believed to be a bad one because of jailbars, but it turns out there's a trivial fix for that and then the output quality is among the best. Serial number wise it was something like 120-250k or so (lots of units, perhaps not so widely known that they output high quality RGB, might be easier & cheaper to find). You'll have to apply some Google-fu, but the information on the serial number range and the jailbar fix is out there.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Xer Xian wrote:
Xyga wrote:Has anyone ever used a DualShock 4 pcb to build a custom stick ?

thread/tutorial anywhere ?
I don't even have a PS4, but here's what's out there..

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/ ... ad-instead
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arcade- ... -Pad-Hack/
Thanks!
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

What's the best quality replacement PSU for a European NES?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

somebody correct me if I remember this wrong: doesn't the PAL NES originally use a power supply with AC output just like the SNES ? The first thing to happen inside the system is that the power is run through a rectifier (or a voltage regulator which doesn't care for AC or DC), which means that you can use a power supply with a DC output instead in the first place. In other words: any PSU you would use for other systems of that time is fine (9-10V, >=1A and in this case the polarity doesn't even matter).
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

You're right that it uses AC, and that in the place of an AC to AC adapter you can use an AC/DC adapter (but not the other way around)...

...but sadly the Megadrive/Jaguar psu that fits the Super Famicom too won't physically fit the UK NES.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but sadly the Megadrive/Jaguar psu that fits the Super Famicom too won't physically fit the UK NES.
that's the 2.1 mm vs. 2.5 mm diameter of the inner pin. There are plenty of PSUs available that either come with both sizes or with the 2.5 mm one.

A fantastic overview of all the connector sizes for all systems is available here (in german, but you get the idea):
https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.ph ... e-Konsole/

PSUs with 2.5 mm pin diameter work on the 2.1 mm systems as well. At least I never had a problem with that.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Are there any GB, GBC or GBA games that allow for multiplayer on a single cartridge when played on an SNES Super GameBoy or GCN GameBoy Player?

For example, Link's Awakening is strictly a single player only game. But when played on a Super GameBoy, a co-op mode would be hypothetically unlocked allowing for two or more people with an SNES controller to control two or more Links on-screen with a single cartridge. I know that doesn't exist, but I'm just illustrating a hypothetical example.

Do any GB/GBC/GBA games like that exist?
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

GeneraLight wrote:Are there any GB, GBC or GBA games that allow for multiplayer on a single cartridge when played on an SNES Super GameBoy or GCN GameBoy Player?

For example, Link's Awakening is strictly a single player only game. But when played on a Super GameBoy, a co-op mode would be hypothetically unlocked allowing for two or more people with an SNES controller to control two or more Links on-screen with a single cartridge. I know that doesn't exist, but I'm just illustrating a hypothetical example.

Some games (mostly Takara fighting games, but a few others) have special two player modes using two Super NES controllers on Super Game Boy. A few of the SGB Bomberman games (such as Wario Blast) allow for four players using a Super Multitap (or any compatible multiplayer adapter) and four controllers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... _Boy_games
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

RottenToTheGore wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Are there any GB, GBC or GBA games that allow for multiplayer on a single cartridge when played on an SNES Super GameBoy or GCN GameBoy Player?

Some games (mostly Takara fighting games, but a few others) have special two player modes using two Super NES controllers on Super Game Boy. A few of the SGB Bomberman games (such as Wario Blast) allow for four players using a Super Multitap (or any compatible multiplayer adapter) and four controllers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... _Boy_games
Thanks!
Hellfromabove

Post by Hellfromabove »

Anyone have a pic of the HDFury 2 PCB? I have been looking at the HDFury Pro Mini (HDFury 2 Clone) and it seems to be pretty identical. I know that it has >1ms of latency, but I'm not sure of the image quality after conversion. Anyone have any experience with the device? Thanks in advance.
jade88

Post by jade88 »

What is the best to hook up a Wii on a new 4K TV with no analog connection?
Last edited by jade88 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

jade88 wrote:What is the best to hook up a Wiki on a new 4K TV with no analog connection?
Assuming you mean Wii, you have two main choices:
1. Connect through a scaler or line doubler, like the Framemeister or OSSC. You'll need the component cables for the Wii, and additionally a component to D-terminal adapter if you go with the Framemeister.

Personally, I recommend the OSSC, because it's cheaper, requires fewer accessories to get going, and has effectively zero lag; but the Framemeister is better at deinterlacing, and you can get premade profiles for various consoles.

2. Have the console modified to output HDMI. citrus3000psi has a board in development call the WiiDual; you can monitor its progress in this thread.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

or just use any $25 component to HDMI converter. Since you're mostly getting 480p from your Wii, it will look better than using a Framemeister. The OSSC *can* look better if you TV is compatible with the 960p signal the OSSC would output with a Wii.
jade88

Post by jade88 »

Fudoh wrote:or just use any $25 component to HDMI converter. Since you're mostly getting 480p from your Wii, it will look better than using a Framemeister. The OSSC *can* look better if you TV is compatible with the 960p signal the OSSC would output with a Wii.
How are these with lag? Can you recommend one?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

if you get on that's really jus transcoding (no scaling or deinterlacing) than the lag is pretty much zero.

In my experience for 480p signal you can really get ANY of the cheap ones. Compatibility with interlaced varies from box to box, but with a Wii that's hardly your concern.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

You could also get a Wii U and play Wii games that way. Looks pretty good.
Kez

Post by Kez »

The Wii has a separate OS called MIOS that it switches to for GameCube "mode" that blocks features like SD card/USB access, Wii peripherals, etc.

Nintendont effectively bypasses/replaces MIOS to allow GameCube games to be played while in Wii mode. It is running the games differently than putting in a regular GC game, but nowadays the results are pretty much indistinguishable.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Do specialized cable manufacturers such as RetroGamingCables (UK) or Retro_Console_Accessories (USA) make BNC cables for consoles, or only SCART cables for consoles? Since I'm ultimately hooking everything up to a BVM that has BNC inputs, should I just stick with BNC cables and an Extron Crosspoint switcher to simplify the chain?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

GeneraLight wrote:Do specialized cable manufacturers such as RetroGamingCables (UK) or Retro_Console_Accessories (USA) make BNC cables for consoles, or only SCART cables for consoles? Since I'm ultimately hooking everything up to a BVM that has BNC inputs, should I just stick with BNC cables and an Extron Crosspoint switcher to simplify the chain?
I know Retro-Access does BNC cables (for certain systems at least - not sure about all). I think she'll even put Phoenix audio connectors on them for a Crosspoint. They do come at a premium cost though.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Buying an rca to scart and some rca to bnc adapters has always been my method.
Kez

Post by Kez »

ross wrote:Is that the only difference? Like, the CPU/GPU aren't running at different clock speeds or anything, right?
I am not an expert, but I don't think there are any major differences in general game performance.
ross wrote:Does anyone know if PAL 60 Hz consoles (DC/PS2/GC/Xbox/Wii) run at the exact same refresh rate as NTSC systems?
Yes they are on-spec when in 60hz mode, many of the PAL games will still be 50hz though. The only exception I think is the PS2 playing PS1 games, if you play NTSC PS1 games on a (chipped) PS2 then the refresh rate will be off-spec.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Random question which definitely doesn't deserve a thread: How many of you have multiple eBay "real time" alerts (saved searches) setup for certain things you're looking for?

Do those alerts all get emailed to you at once, one time a day (say like 3:30am every single night i get like 10+ emails) - which definitely isn't in "real time". Or do you get those alerts sporadically throughout the day (a couple minutes after somebody lists the item you're looking for for example) which would be how most people would define "real time"?

...just wondering as I used to get mine in real-time but that stopped about 6 months ago... and I've been fighting with eBay tech support for a couple months now to have them fix my account so it works like that again... which they tell me it never worked like that before, ever... (despite the screenshots and email logs I have which say otherwise lol)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yepp, once a day - all at once. But that's been like this for me since I can remember. It never really was realtime, since it's just a list of search results run once a day.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Fudoh wrote:yepp, once a day - all at once. But that's been like this for me since I can remember. It never really was realtime, since it's just a list of search results run once a day.
Grrr! I honestly don't know how long ago (I just got back to browsing eBay a lot since I've gotten back into video game collecting this past year) but I used to actually receive them in real time at one point. Even the eBay developers API website lists this as a feature....but I have a feeling their definition of "real time" is likewise flawed!

Anybody use another site which has better, more real-time alerts that can stalk eBay more often than I have time to? lol. Gotta be something out there (especially with all the snipe website/programs people always use to outbid me!)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

google alerts should be considerably faster.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Maybe there's a app for eBay that instantly notifies you of a product you're looking for is listed.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Only briefly searched but the one app I tried so far forces you choose a single category only....which several things I'm looking for could be in like 10 different categories so I would have to do each single search like 10 times....and I have like 50 things I'm looking for so that just won't work.

It seems both eBay and Craigslist have RSS feeds so there's some way to automate search/alert type things for that, so that's something else I can look into.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Anybody know what exact refresh rate you get out of a 50/60hz switch modded NTSC-J Megadrive when set to 50hz?
Shining

Post by Shining »

I broke off the plastic thingy of one of the pots in my CRT :oops: . Is there any way to adjust the pot without the plastic part? If not, i guess i'll need to find a new one labeled "474"?

It's the one all the way to the right, before i broke it off:
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

What is left of it? Is there a metal stub that can still be rotated? A small set of channel locks or similar pliers might work?