Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by maxtherabbit »

Einzelherz wrote:Really dumb question here: I'm trying to learn about digital audio coax stuff and I keep seeing 75 ohm appear. That just makes me think of component video cables so... could you use a component video wire in the place of spdif coax cable?
yep
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

GojiFan90 wrote:I just picked up a Panasonic Tau CRT from a local Goodwill, and while the picture is great, (aside from some geometry issues) there are some blotches of color at the top left and right of the screen. Rotating the TV seems to affect the severity of the discoloration. Is there an easy fix for this that doesn't require opening the TV? I'm not confident in working on a CRT for fear of electrocuting myself.
you can purchase a degaussing wand and learn how to use it, or you can just power cycle the TV a few times to get the built-in degauss to do its thing

turn the TV on from cold start -> let it run about a minute -> turn it off -> wait 15-20 minutes -> turn it on again -> repeat
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:I just picked up a Panasonic Tau CRT from a local Goodwill, and while the picture is great, (aside from some geometry issues) there are some blotches of color at the top left and right of the screen. Rotating the TV seems to affect the severity of the discoloration. Is there an easy fix for this that doesn't require opening the TV? I'm not confident in working on a CRT for fear of electrocuting myself.
you can purchase a degaussing wand and learn how to use it, or you can just power cycle the TV a few times to get the built-in degauss to do its thing

turn the TV on from cold start -> let it run about a minute -> turn it off -> wait 15-20 minutes -> turn it on again -> repeat
Thanks maxtherabbit, I unplugged the TV last night and plugged it back in this morning and turned it on. You were right, just needed to be degaussed. :oops:

On a separate note, does anyone know how to access/navigate the service menu for Panasonic Tau CRT's? Want to take a shot at fixing some of the geometry issues as they are pretty distracting, especially in games with a constant OSD.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Just wondering if anyone could shed light on an issue I'm having. I'm playing the PSP games I've bought from PSN on my PC with PPSSPP. Dragging and dropping game folders works just fine except for one game. The file transfer always freezes at the same point. I'm using Windows 10 and just moving the files with file explorer. The game works just fine on the PSP, so it can't be corrupt?
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

Found a good offer for us ntsc ps1. Could not resist to add it to my collection. Shopping for cables for it now already. Does the PS1 and the Framemeister work together with all types of RGB scart cables well together or should I chose CSYNC over Sync on Luma or vis si versa?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:Found a good offer for us ntsc ps1. Could not resist to add it to my collection. Shopping for cables for it now already. Does the PS1 and the Framemeister work together with all types of RGB scart cables well together or should I chose CSYNC over Sync on Luma or vis si versa?
The best you'll get out of the PS1 (all models) without a hard mod is RGBS with sync-on-luma. Any PS1 CSync cables that you see will have an inline sync stripper, which can cause conflicts with devices like the gscartsw; so, if you don't absolutely need clean composite sync, go with sync-on-luma.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

What's the best way to get my S-video modified Atari 7800 installed in my switching system? I have SCART switches, but don't know if the S-video to SCART converters are very good. I tried my Retrotink, but can't seem to get video output. I tried various S-Video to HDMI converters, but those have a constant display output, so they always take priority in an auto switching system. I even went through my Extron and used VGA cable to the OSSC, but the same thing exists with always on. Is there any simple solution I'm overlooking?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

ldeveraux wrote:What's the best way to get my S-video modified Atari 7800 installed in my switching system? I have SCART switches, but don't know if the S-video to SCART converters are very good. I tried my Retrotink, but can't seem to get video output. I tried various S-Video to HDMI converters, but those have a constant display output, so they always take priority in an auto switching system. I even went through my Extron and used VGA cable to the OSSC, but the same thing exists with always on. Is there any simple solution I'm overlooking?
Could it be the sync signal from your mod?

Are you testing using 7800 carts? AFAIK, the 7800 carts provide a nice standard refresh rate. I would test using one of those first.

About the 2600/VCS:
2600 carts will be much more tricky. The video signal will often vary between individual carts--and sometimes the output signal will change during the games. The guaranteed way to play 2600 software is to add a machine with frame rate conversion--before the OSSC. Although, if you're going to add latency and frame rate conversion, you might be happier just building a nice Stella setup.
We apologise for the inconvenience
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

orange808 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:What's the best way to get my S-video modified Atari 7800 installed in my switching system? I have SCART switches, but don't know if the S-video to SCART converters are very good. I tried my Retrotink, but can't seem to get video output. I tried various S-Video to HDMI converters, but those have a constant display output, so they always take priority in an auto switching system. I even went through my Extron and used VGA cable to the OSSC, but the same thing exists with always on. Is there any simple solution I'm overlooking?
Could it be the sync signal from your mod?

Are you testing using 7800 carts? AFAIK, the 7800 carts provide a nice standard refresh rate. I would test using one of those first.

About the 2600/VCS:
2600 carts will be much more tricky. The video signal will often vary between individual carts--and sometimes the output signal will change during the games. The guaranteed way to play 2600 software is to add a machine with frame rate conversion--before the OSSC. Although, if you're going to add latency and frame rate conversion, you might be happier just building a nice Stella setup.
It could be the signal. I contacted the mod developer and he has no experience with the Retrotink, which is why I tried the other converters. RT would have been perfect in this instance, strange the signal wouldn't transfer. It still doesn't solve the "always on" issue, though I don't use the 7800 much, so I could just turn the converter off when not in use.

I tested the system with the 7800 version of Choplifter, so it should be good?
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

If I mod an original backwards compatible PS2 to play imports, will it also play PS1 imports as well?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Lord British wrote:If I mod an original backwards compatible PS2 to play imports, will it also play PS1 imports as well?
yep, it's a fairly challenging mod, but worth it IMO
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Lord British wrote:If I mod an original backwards compatible PS2 to play imports, will it also play PS1 imports as well?
Any specifics on what to purchase or what to do? If you post a link that's fine too.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Lord British wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
Any specifics on what to purchase or what to do? If you post a link that's fine too.
https://assemblergames.com/threads/zer0 ... hop.43131/

He's in Canada and sells the Modbo 4 which is a pretty good Matrix Infinity clone. If you can find an authentic MI, even better. Instructions are linked from that thread, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you buy anything.

If you're in the UK or Europe, this is your man: https://assemblergames.com/threads/for- ... etc.39971/

Here's a video of the installation, not a full tutorial but a great overview, from our own Voultar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFl9C4u4bOM
Lord British

Post by Lord British »

maxtherabbit wrote:
He's in Canada and sells the Modbo 4 which is a pretty good Matrix Infinity clone. If you can find an authentic MI, even better. Instructions are linked from that thread, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you buy anything.

If you're in the UK or Europe, this is your man: https://assemblergames.com/threads/for- ... etc.39971/

Here's a video of the installation, not a full tutorial but a great overview, from our own Voultar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFl9C4u4bOM
Thanks!
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I've got an Extron VSC 700 en route that I want to use to downscale component 480p+ from Xbox, GC, etc. to run on my PVM. I looked at the manual and saw that it doesn't seem to take Component as an input, only as an output: https://www.extron.com/download/files/u ... 0DrevA.pdf

Will it work with component? If not, what's the best way to get it in the chain (ideally without any additional power cables)?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

No, you can only use RGB sources with the VSC700.

You know that the VSC700 does not offer any advantage over the native 480i output from those systems. What's your plan with this setup?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Fudoh wrote:No, you can only use RGB sources with the VSC700.

You know that the VSC700 does not offer any advantage over the native 480i output from those systems. What's your plan with this setup?
I was following your guide, to put a cheaper RGB box in the chain after the VSC, as Emotias appear to have crept up in price. The plan here is to record footage in 480p while downscaling to 480i (or eventually 240p).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

SavagePencil wrote:
Fudoh wrote:No, you can only use RGB sources with the VSC700.

I was following your guide, to put a cheaper RGB box in the chain after the VSC, as Emotias appear to have crept up in price. The plan here is to record footage in 480p while downscaling to 480i (or eventually 240p).
My understanding is that you could also have used a Corio2, which, depending on the model, could handle pretty much any analogue video format besides RF for both input and output, and can be configured to output 240p.

What advantage would the VSC700 have over a Corio2? Faster downscaling? Easier configuration?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

nmalinoski wrote:What advantage would the VSC700 have over a Corio2? Faster downscaling? Easier configuration?
In a nutshell, yes. But they aren't exactly in the same league since the VSC doesn't do 240p. The fact that it lacks a component input isn't that relevant to me personally (only consoles that are stuck with Component for 480p output are the GC and Wii). Edit: The first Xbox would be another. Still, downscaling doesn't make a lot of sense for these systems (unless used for emulation).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Xer Xian wrote:Still, downscaling doesn't make a lot of sense for these systems (unless used for emulation).
If we're talking about simply playing these systems on a 480i display, I agree with you; however, it sounds like the goal is to split the video between a capture card and an SD-only CRT, and run the games at 480p for the benefit of capture.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

nmalinoski wrote:
Xer Xian wrote:Still, downscaling doesn't make a lot of sense for these systems (unless used for emulation).
If we're talking about simply playing these systems on a 480i display, I agree with you; however, it sounds like the goal is to split the video between a capture card and an SD-only CRT, and run the games at 480p for the benefit of capture.
Correct. I'm not aghast at playing in 480i, but I do like capturing at 480p.

Back to my original Q: easy way to get component into RGBS/RGsB/RGBHV?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

SavagePencil wrote:easy way to get component into RGBS/RGsB/RGBHV?
Easiest way would be to get a YPbPr to HDMI converter and an HDMI to RGBHV/VGA converter and put them together. If you need RGsB or RGBS output, tack on an Extron RGB interface.

There really aren't many choices for a clean way to convert YPbPr to RGB. There are plenty of RGB-to-YPbPr converters, but not so many YPbPr-to-RGB. Your choices then are pretty much:
a) Get a GBS-8xxx and mod it as previously mentioned; or
b) Have a sizeable budget and the patience for a working Kramer FC-4040 (Or a 4046 if you don't care about 240p support) to appear on eBay.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

FYI: Beware of Garo.

Details are out there and easy to find. Search is your friend.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

orange808 wrote:FYI: Beware of Garo.

Actually, now that you mention it, I have access to both variants of Garo. This is probably a good avenue for me to explore.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

SavagePencil wrote:
orange808 wrote:FYI: Beware of Garo.

Actually, now that you mention it, I have access to both variants of Garo. This is probably a good avenue for me to explore.
No. I apologise if there is a language barrier or I was unclear.

I did NOT recommend Garo to you. I am not happy with my Garo.

If you get one, that's your choice, but "beware" means it might NOT be a good solution.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Point taken! It may offer me a short term solution to see if I can live with what the VSC 700 outputs. I may have to go in for a VSC 900 instead.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I have an Xbox 360. I use VGA for 480p>240p downscaling to CRTs, and HDMI when I play it on my 4K TV (in 720p mainly). I'm getting sick of swapping cables, and both can't be plugged in at once (it defaults to HDMI).

If I want to have HDMI plugged in all the time, is there any detriment to using a quality DAC like the Tendak HDMI>VGA dongle, or a HDFury 2 or HDFury 3 (I have all those devices)? Which of those would be the best? I can't do a proper back-and-forth comparison quick enough between HDMI and VGA to really tell myself.

I also want to do this because when I run the 360 over HDMI my flatscreen shows a properly centered and scaled image, with the proper brightness and contrast - no guesswork/calibration is needed unlike when I use CRT's. My CRT's I have to adjust for overscan (for each different resolution, individually, even) and I can't exactly tell where the edge of the image should be. To compound that, I'm running all sorts of device chains to my different CRT's - I have signals running through everything from an Extron RGB (which has it's own centering and brightness controls), to a Corio2, OSSC, DSC 301 HD, RGBS>YPbPr converters, etc. etc. -- several going through multiple devices at once, which just makes it a bit more of a pain to tune everything. ...So having the 4K TV over HDMI running at the same time as the CRT's will give me a decent baseline I think.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:If I want to have HDMI plugged in all the time, is there any detriment to using a quality DAC like the Tendak HDMI>VGA dongle, or a HDFury 2 or HDFury 3 (I have all those devices)? Which of those would be the best? I can't do a proper back-and-forth comparison quick enough between HDMI and VGA to really tell myself.
If there are any aberrations from such a DAC, I don't think you'll notice on the CRT.

I'd probably run one output of the HDMI splitter (Or secondary output from an AVR?) to an audio extractor, then that to a Corio2 (via an HDMI to VGA adapter if needed), and then the Corio2 to the CRT.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I heartily recommend the Portta HDMI to VGA. I'm my testing I've found no black crush or ringing. And verified no lag
strayan

Post by strayan »